CT String Theory/Doubles/Oracle May (It works)

I am thinking of bringing this version to two tournaments this weekend: Chaos Oracle v1 · NetrunnerDB

The theory is that dropping a second oracle for a second femme you are pretty much guaranteed cheap enough access, where you want, late game (with scavenges). With only 40 cards and all draw power you should be seeing hostage or oracle soon enough. This also utilizes the +1 memory from CT.
What do you think?

I would suggest against 2 things: not playing 2x OM, and not playing 3x Eureka!. I think the deck will work as you have it built, but I assure you that 1 femme is enough and not having OM is bad.

You’ll want to be multi accessing all game till you win, and that doesn’t leave a lot of room for tomfoolery. I don’t think the opportunity value of scavenge is high enough to warrant 2 copies of scavenge because you make enough money to run even with a misplaced femme.

1 Like

To everyone involved: I’ve been calling this “Mother May I?”. Anyone else got name ideas?

Oracle is important, I think 2 “copies” of her is kind of weak/slow. I’d definitely run 2 hostage if nothing else, for power nap fuel. Which leads me back to having WitRD or even just helpful AI. I think you’ll be fine, but I don’t think 2 femme is necessary, I’d take a stimhack over it.

1 Like

The thing is, the balance of finding it vs causing misfires and drawing dupes is the reason for the setup as I have it. With 3 diesel, and 2 QT, I’m going to see one of my ‘copies’ of the oracle in a 40 card deck very fast. In my now 15 games with it, I’ve only 1 time ever been frustrated in finding her. Compare this to decks that run procontacts without burst draw, and everyone tolerates it. If you’re drawing big for Oracle, you’re drawing cash events and breakers, and it can definitely stay afloat until you do find her.

I also think you’re underestimating the power of the massive draw you get out of this in regard to the 'inconsistent" thought. With tinkering and test run + drawing, you actually find the breaker very fast. One reason I didn’t want to dump scavenge is also because you can swap breakers if you’re in a pinch, and the breaker you need is in the trash or your hand, which is long term bad, but short term very effective.

I can see overmind as crimsonwraith said above to speed things up, but I so very rarely feel squeezed to have the right breaker, and I run the garrote variant. I think the tinkering is the real key, and why I run 2/3 copies. A lot of scoring window attacks for me go about misrepresenting my ability to get into a 2 ice remote by having a Ram out only, tinker the other ice and get in. Easy 2 points. Or if I don’t know either ice, run and have them show me 1, test run that breaker, and tinker the other, and get in. The power is exploiting the corp’s assumptions.

As DJ said, give it a try, on paper I thought, meh cool janky deck, but I bet it has issues. Playing it 3 games showed me that it actually gets a rig up quite fast. You’re moderately slower than an SMC/Clone chip instant breaker deck early on, but significantly faster than most big breaker rigs like Nord’s old chaos theory PPVP deck.

I actually agree, the compelling reason for me to swap the garrote for femme is getting the second legwork, legwork and multi access are so overwhelmingly awesome right now, that I’d give up the efficiency for it. That will make me run more scavenges though, which I think is fine. Fine, I’ll try it…begrudgingly.

I like the sound of : “Oracle of Chaos”.

I’ve been calling my iteration “The Wünderful Oracle”

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (35)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
2x Tinkering (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
2x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Hostage (Opening Moves) ••
2x Eureka! (Second Thoughts)
3x Power Nap (Double Time)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••

Resource (2)
2x Oracle May (Honor and Profit) ••

Icebreaker (3)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

How about “Chaos made predictable” of even “Chaos May’d predictable”?

On the deck itself. I’ve been playing it a few times recently, but haven’t been having a lot of luck with it so far. In one game, I got both Levy’s very early. I discarded the first, then promptly lost the other one to a Shock. After that, I didn’t want to draw too heavily, so didn’t get my breakers up in time.

Hmm my recommendation is to play better by not hitting shock!.

Actually I would not discard levy unless you have to, you should be more willing to discard eureka! and power nap if early. Also, breakers or tinkerings depending on what you’re drawing. Tinkering can be pitched if you have 1 breaker in hand, cash and 1 test run. Tinkering is there to smooth out early breaker installs, and to make big ice easier to break (say you have archer, its cheaper to break archer with torch than femme, as one example). At least, this is true in my build.

Before you hit the first Levy you need to be really conservative with discarding them. Yes: having both early is a huge pain. If they’re any Jinteki ID you have to expect net damage. If there’s enough jinteki around in your meta I would consider a Same Old Thing, just in case, but that’s not optimal for reasons discussed throughout this thread.

In order for the deck to shine you really have to rocket through and get your breakers out. Most non-fast advance decks give you time to get your stuff but it may mean sacrificing things that are great (Makers Eye, Legwork, Money) to get the rig out as quickly as possible. Then, hit the levy and play all the good cards you couldn’t the first time through.

2 Likes

Another quick thought about what to do about Jinteki kill decks…wait for it… Exploratory Romp! If only it were a double!

That card is so dead versus just about anything else (maybe not against Tenin?), but it would sure make Mu Shin No Shin easier to deal with. When you have two Levy’s in the deck, net damage is really not that much of an issue, but if you get hit with the brain, then it’s a problem. Don’t know if it’s a Ronin or an Overwriter? Ta daaa! Exploratory Romp to the rescue!

…on the other hand Infiltration would likely be better :stuck_out_tongue:

My original version of the deck wasn’t anywhere near as refined (or good for that matter), and it started with me taking all the cards I could with CT on the art and putting them in a deck. I don’t think I ever played my 1-of exploratory romp.

I think the cronos project out of PE is probably the biggest threat to this deck, and exploratory romp does nothing to stop it if it’s mushin’d out. Just clear the counters so they can advance and score it on their turn. No bueno.

Not that Exploratory Romp deserves this much discussion… but the idea would be to Exploratory Romp, then, once the potential Overwriter is defanged, run again to trash/steal.

I ran pretty much your deck last night at our local game night. Following all the discussion here I switched out Garrotte for Femme, and then since I now had an extra MU, I dropped in a Deep Thought. It actually won the game for me, by locating the winning agenda behind the Wotan. I think it makes more sense than Woman in the Red Dress because you can drop it at any time (whereas with WitRD, it seems you want to wait until you are all set up, otherwise you’ll just be giving the Corp free draws for not much gain).

Thats weird, I’ve never felt bad about ‘giving the corp free draws.’ with WitRD. Every time it tells me where to spend my efforts, and gives me valuable information. I’ve since switched to femme too, to get the extra legwork and because there is a bit of RP in my meta now, and getting through the tollbooths is made much easier with femme. I slot 2 scavenge to help speed up the rig assembly and move femme.

As for deep thought, I’d rather have another hostage target over a program that might cause May to misfire (hostage gets WitRD out of the way is the point). If I’m going to slot a program like that, I’d go for the much better Chakana, and have it really hurt HB and NBN.

Here’s a version I’ve tested that cuts doubles for more consistency.

Event (32)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x Hostage (Opening Moves) ••••
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Infiltration (Core Set)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Modded (Core Set)
1x Retrieval Run (Future Proof) ••
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Special Order (Core Set) ••
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
1x Tinkering (Core Set)

Resource (4)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Oracle May (Honor and Profit) •••

Icebreaker (4)
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ••
1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

do u think no-doubles version is better than previous ones presented in this thread? how was your testing?

@willlt I don’t know if what you have going there is going to work with only 6 economy cards. Also, I would consider playing with fewer non-events to maximize your Oracle May. Every time you miss with May it hurts. If you’re going to try without doubles, I would say go account siphon. It’s really good (was how this deck started for me) and you can recur AS and just pound away.

If you’re looking for consistency I assure you the doubles version offers it: they key is how it is played. Remember that on your first time through the deck you want to draw until you have May and breaker suite, then play out the econ and multi access left over and hit a levy to start over. The beauty of having the card draw is that you’ll be hitting almost all multi access (7 cards out of 36) or econ (12 cards out of 36) on the second time through the deck. You can just overdraw the test runs and other doubles to discard them.

I have to agree with DJ on this, in my testing so far, I can’t imagine not having the deck just stuffed with event econ and multiaccess cards makes all the draw kinda moot. It actually ends up very consistent. Once you’re up and running with full breakers, everything you draw except test run is useful, which is the very definition of consistent as far as I’m concerned.

This is similar to the first iteration of the deck, before doubles and with account siphon.
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/oR7rgtJyryTvqxye8

This is the deck I’ve been testing a bit, with great succes. It has femme (just better than garrote IMO) and Morningstar (not having legwork troubles me a bit). The thing is, Morningstar is just always 1-2 creds better than Ram against all except the big barriers. I had atman in a previous iteration, as a skeleton key for a high strength ice (Archer or Heimdal or so), but just never needed it (femme + scavenge does this job).

I run with 3 scavenge, as it’s really a lot better than Eureka if you can spare a click.for it the turn you testrun. I have 3 Eureka to backup scavenge, they often get discarded but as you need to discard anyway, it’s no big deal and they provide money afterwards with Power Nap.

How do others find quality time? It’s a card I often end up not happy to draw, as Oracle May and diesel already draw me more than I can use. Either I have other things to do, or no money to play it, or would end up discarding most cards anyway.

Also I do tend to run a lot while building up, face checking ice, trying to find an opportunity for makers eye or index.

I’m also intrigued by tinkering, I see the value of it, but never felt I missed it. But others seem to be happy with it.

Oh yeah, I can’t imagine this deck without the doubles. If the corp isn’t on matchpoint by the time you’ve reached the end of the first deckcycle (when you cash in on the power naps and have all breakers), they aren’t going to win anymore.

edit: Wanted to elaborate a bit more on the Morningstar - 2x Legwork dilemma. The first lets you get in cheaper in HQ and R&D, the second makes 2 HQ runs more efficient. Reasoning is that with the money I save, I can run more. Legwork is great, but sometimes you can’t use it and it clogs up your hand (and you need to drop 2 other cards). Morningstar is just better than Ram, unless you face Hadrian, Heimdal or Wotan, but then femme can bail you out. And the top corp deck (NEH) doesn’t use big barriers, so…

Event (35)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Eureka! (Second Thoughts)
1x Hostage (Opening Moves) ••
3x Indexing (Future Proof)
2x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
3x Power Nap (Double Time)
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Resource (2)
2x Oracle May (Honor and Profit) ••

Icebreaker (3)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
1x Morning Star (What Lies Ahead) ••••