Data & Destiny Spoilers

she could be a cyborg…

You might be thinking of Thomas Haas. I think it was the C&C insert, along with some other “easter eggs” like Director Haas’ Pet Project, hint that Thomas may be a sentient bioroid who’s (mostly) unaware that he’s a bioroid.

1 Like

but his subtype isn’t bioroid (like Ash, Alix, etc.)

He’s programmed to party, do drugs, and sleep with hot women, apparently.

Sign me up.

19 Likes

So basically, that Charlie Sheen brain-tape came in handy…

4 Likes

He’s gonna be the worst runner ever :). No time for nets!

1 Like

The only thing Tommy Haas is running is some weak game on doped-up debutantes.

8 Likes

Weak Game + $'s yo.

1 Like

G00ru is definitely mentioned as an icon for runners. I could believe him as the “one who does it for work”, though my first gut-shot was Smoke. It will probably be none of the above and we’ll just have to keep guessing what makes G00ru and Smoke so special.

2 Likes

Re: the mini-factions, I’m guessing they’ll go with influence-heavy neutral cards with keywords like “virtual”, “government”, etc., and each ID will have text along the lines of “you may include virtual-type cards without counting their influence cost against your limit”. That way they can expand them in the future without having to fully support one-runner-only mini-factions.

2 Likes

Do you think g00ru is a Runner forefather, or just a moniker passed down over the hacking generations? A legend? Ghost in the machine?

As quoted in the Order and Chaos release announcement:

"Even though the company’s founder, Jack Weyland, has stepped down from the board of directors to pursue his own endeavors..."

Jack Weyland=g00ru confirmed.

3 Likes

I think it’s possible that it is just a name passed down, like the Dread Pirate Rogers. More of a symbol than a man. Though, the fact that he is quoted makes me think he is a full-on person instead of a persona. Any way you slice it he is definitely a notable character that is held in high regard by fellow runners.

g00ru to me is similar to whatever Neo was to the matrix: able to see past what’s there and into the code itself. Torch and Sneak Door Beta quotes just made me feel that way. He’s a great runner because he has almost transcended traditional running and understands how to access the very source of the net.

2 Likes

Maybe g00ru is Hackerman.

6 Likes

I would pick g00ru for the “sentient virus” - a runner whose consciousness has transcended meatspace and become one with the code. But the snow-jax’s hint “does it because destruction is in its nature” makes me think this might not be the case, doesn’t sound very g00ru.

1 Like

Like this, especially with the way we’ve seen a cycle of standard-faction Virtual Resources. If they were included in something like that, would be pretty cool. Makes the high influence cost on some of them less of a worry.

The ability to easily expand them in the future without having to print more microfaction specific cards is also nice, because they’ll be in the rotation permanently, and it seems unlikely that we’ll have more deluxe boxes after this (weep, HB and Criminal (and maybe Weyland but hopefully not so much). Keeping them always-viable becomes important, under the circumstances (as potentially does FFG’s wanting you to be able to run a deck of both sides right out of the Deluxe Box).

g00ru was the first runner, wasn’t he? There’s that kind of a mention of him on Torch, that he was the one that went in and figured out how to break ice and brought that back with him to the rest of the world. A pseudo-Prometheus/Crow figure.

Could see him as a Ghost in the Machine kind of AI trying to break free/burn down those that created him or as a grandfather of runners. Or even, honestly, as that important figure that is NOW a moniker passed down.

But it seems like there was definitely an original g00ru that managed to do what no one else could.

[quote=“spiralshadow, post:55, topic:3984”]
“does it because destruction is in its nature”
[/quote]We do not know for certain that this refers to the AI runner, though it DOES seem probable.

3 Likes

glove->whizzard; :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I made that assumption. That and the “does it for his own freedom” = bioroid, and “does it for work” = neutral runner.

Also, I like the idea of the neutral runner being a mercenary hired by corps to hack other corps. Taking the Corporate War to the next level.

1 Like

G00ru is a wuss compared to Hackman. :wink:

1 Like

Lets hope the destruction runner can’t run sabotage cards without using influence… that would be one nasty runner.