Deckbuild Challenge

So I happened to bring all of my Runner cards with me last time I went to FLGS for casual Netrunner…

Two new people were there playing, and they were the only ones available to play with. One had just finished tweaking his Noise deck, so I played against him with a Corp deck for him to test it. These players do not have the entire cardpool available.

While I was playing, I had an idea to have the other player look through my binders of Runner cards, and find a card that he thought was interesting enough to build a deck around.

After a little looking, he remembered how I once complained at length about a card… so he chose that card as my challenge: Monolith.

Urgggh. I’d forgotten to sort and bring the Data and Destiny Runner cards. (So many of them are niche…) so I didn’t have Windfall. So instead, I built it in Chaos Theory, around Eureka. I built quickly, just grabbing cards from the binder that seemed to fit the theme and not suck completely, and were under my influence… Here’s the result:

MonolithChallenge

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (18)

Hardware (7)

Resource (9)

Icebreaker (4)

Program (2)

• 2x Cloak (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

It performed… Adequately. High points for the deck were drawing 6 cards with every Game Day, and getting 9cr off a Power Nap once. I did actually hit a Monolith blind with a Eureka, and installed it… And didn’t have any programs in hand. :frowning:

After the game, I can tell you the deck would be better with Toolbox instead of Monolith… But anyway; Are there any cards that you flip through your binder and go 'Y’know, I wonder what a deck built around this card would look like…"? I was hoping he’d pick something that looked interesting/fun to build instead of Monolith. :slight_smile:

I’ve built a very successful deck that runs Information Overload (and judging by the number of times my opponents had to read the card, I’d say that’s a binder card). It’s not quite solely built around it as I use the tags for other things, but I would call it a core part of the deck (or, at the very least, the late game plan).

S.O.L. 2.0

New Angeles Sol: Your News (Data and Destiny)

Agenda (9)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set) [color=#FF8C00]☆☆☆[/color]
2x Explode-a-palooza (Old Hollywood)
2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]••[/color]
2x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (8)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Lily Lockwell (Data and Destiny)
3x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)

Upgrade (4)
2x Cyberdex Virus Suite (Order and Chaos)
2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set) [color=#FF8C00]☆☆[/color]

Operation (16)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof)
2x Paywall Implementation (The Spaces Between) [color=#006400]••••[/color]
1x Psychographics (Core Set)
1x Scorched Earth (Core Set) [color=#006400]••••[/color]
1x Snatch and Grab (All That Remains)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)
3x Targeted Marketing (The Spaces Between)

Barrier (5)
2x Resistor (Data and Destiny)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (2)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (5)
2x Information Overload (The Spaces Between)
3x News Hound (Data and Destiny)
10 influence spent (max 15-5☆=10)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

The write-up is here for those who want to know more.

Long story short, it’s really funny to tagstorm your opponent and rez Information Overload when they try to hit R&D. Best time was when I hit the runner with 16 tags, they had 6 items installed and 10 credits. It was a very sad day for all of my opponent’s stuff :grin: (He took it in stride and announced that he would not end the run but would ‘hit the wraparound as hard as he could to make it do some work’.)

2 Likes

There was actually a pretty decent deck a while back that used Monolith to good effect. It was called Big Girls Play with Monoliths. I can try to find it, but if you want to look yourself it is on NRDB somewheres.

I like it :smiley:

I think I had an Information Overload in a SYNC deck I was working on, because it’s so very difficult to stick tags on the Runner. I suspect I should honestly run tagstorm in some non-yellow/green faction just because if I don’t threaten Scorched Earth runners are more likely to let tags stay.

@Orbital_Tangent I think it was called, Big Girls Windfall Their Monoliths.

A gold standard in jank.

1 Like

That one was a play on words of the original one. The old one is here;

This deck was one of the most fun you could have playing Netrunner in the post C&C meta.

I’m interested to see a deck working with Blackguard and/or Silhouette. I think there would be some potential if Blackguard cost 3-6c, but at 11 there is no hope for the card.

Does anyone really think Blackguard’s effect is 8c more amazing than Maya? By itself, Blackguard doesn’t really do anything, it requires a lot of support cards to trigger its effect, all of which cost credits (or Sil’s successful run trigger).

I tried to make a list to post here using Emergency shutdowns and Sneakdoor Beta (and even Lemuria Codecracker), but it’s really hard to get the credits to install Blackguard, and with the whole deck built around triggering it’s effect, I can’t see the deck offering enough early pressure to slow down the corp while it sets up.

In conclusion I think my idea might be kinda neat, but it revolves around a card that is just plain bad as it is printed.

I also kinda want to like Alpha + Omega + any ICE destruction, but those breakers are just too expensive to install.

The melanges help me land just an absurd number of tags (I typically aim for 13+ to psychobeale later). Most runners aren’t going to dedicate at least 4 turns and 26 credits (if they have any money) to clear tags (though if I do, Sansans are a great way to punish that). Instead, they look at the board and almost always come to the conclusion that they need to win the game ASAP and go straight to R&D.

Into information overload :grin:.