Decks using only spin cycle?

Dear community:

I’ve recently bought Netrunner, having played it quite a few times with a friend. Since I have a bit of a budget constraint, however, I didn’t purchase all of the expansion packs, opting instead for all of Spin Cycle, along with Honor and Profit. My question is, is it possible to do competitive decks with that? There is a tournament soon and I’d like to participate in it. If you could please direct me to deck lists that might be competitive, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Do you have a core set or sets? It wasn’t quite clear from your post.

That said: the Genesis Cycle had some pretty important cards for each faction, arguably moreso than the Spin Cycle, as it was fleshing out each one from the core set.

• Jinteki got their only 3/2 prior to Honor & Profit, Braintrust, as well as Replicating Perfection, one of their best identities.
  • Criminal has Andromeda, certainly the lowest-variance runner.
  • You’re missing both sets of multi-access Interface hardware.
  • No Plascrete Carapaces, although it’s arguable how important that is since Weyland has fallen out of favor - on the other hand, Scorched Earth hasn’t.
  • No Project Beale for NBN, which removes part of the Midseason/Psychographics combo (although arguably the least important part … but a 3/2 is a 3/2). Same for Project Vitruvius in HB.
  • Without Creation & Control, Shaper is basically a dud. You’re missing a lot of their faction-defining cards - Clone Chip, Self-Modifying Code, Scavenge, Atman, Cyber-Cypher - as well as the generally useful neutral Dirty Laundry, Daily Casts, and Same Old Thing.

Basically, it’s possible, but most core archetypes got some pretty important cards in the Genesis Cycle, and C&C more or less defined Shapers as they are today. My advice would be to figure out what factions you want to bring to the tournament, what cards are important from that faction for you, and cherry-pick from the Genesis Cycle packs until you can snag them all.

1 Like

No, buy all of the cards.

1 Like

Let me know how many Core Sets you have, and if there’s any chance you can borrow a few cards here and there from a friend if needed. I’ll find or build you something :smile:

1 Like

I will do so, thank you very much.

On the first place, yes, I do have the basic set, my bad for not pointing that out.

The two factions that appeal to me the most are playing Anarch Noise (I love the idea of “I’m an idiot and have no sense of self preservation weeeeeeeeeeeelolololol!!!oneone!11!!”; probably not the best way to play it, but it’s fun) and Haas Bioroid (I was going to play nbn but everyone in my local store seems to be doing so, so I’d rather avoid it).

I’ll see if I can get myself at least one expansion pack, or creation and control. Which one would you say is preferable?

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Here are a basic Noise and a basic HB deck using the Core Set only. You could take these as a starting off point and once you play them a few times, start adding in expansion cards to replace the Core cards you don’t like.

Core Anarch (45 cards)

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (19)
2 Account Siphon
2 Deja Vu
3 Demolition Run
3 Diesel
3 Infiltration
3 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (4)
3 Cyberfeeder
1 Grimoire

Resource (4)
3 Armitage Codebusting
1 Ice Carver

Icebreaker (9)
2 Corroder
2 Crypsis
1 Femme Fatale
2 Mimic
2 Yog.0

Program (9)
2 Datasucker
2 Djinn
2 Medium
3 Parasite

Core HB

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future

Agenda (9)
3 Accelerated Beta Test
3 Priority Requisition
3 Private Security Force

Asset (8)
3 Adonis Campaign
2 Aggressive Secretary
3 PAD Campaign

Upgrade (2)
2 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
2 Archived Memories
3 Beanstalk Royalties
2 Biotic Labor
2 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund

Barrier (7)
2 Heimdall 1.0
2 Ice Wall
3 Wall of Static

Code Gate (2)
2 Enigma

Sentry (9)
2 Hunter
3 Ichi 1.0
2 Rototurret
2 Shadow

Note: the Core Set has only one SanSan City Grid - try to borrow the second copy from a friend or use a third Biotic Labor instead.

1 Like

Looks good, thanks :slight_smile:

I managed to get myself Creation and Control and Cyber Exodus :smiley: I’ll see what I can do with that :slight_smile:

Well, I finally went for Chaos Theory and Haas Bioroid, ending up fourth in the tournament :smiley:

Thanks a lot to everyones for their advise!!