Deckspace: Breakerless Quetzal

Some of the same concepts in this Store Championship winning list from last weekend:

Doesnā€™t really strike me as the same concept. The original deck had a simple elegance to is that is lost in this iteration, not to mention itā€™s vastly different (no Siphon, multiple breakers, etc.)

Iā€™ve run a few versions of Breakerless [ID] post O&C; breakerless MaxX is sweet, breakerless kim is also good. I wanted to try out valencia with investigative journalism thrown in, too.

Iā€™ve Had Worse, Day Job and Wanton Destruction are the three O&C cards you want in the deck; Iā€™d cut Lamprey for WD, cut Armitage for DJ and cut Rook for IHW.

Okay, what this?

Breakerless Quetzal - Updated to O&C

Quetzal: Free Spirit (First Contact)

Event (24)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
3x Day Job (Order and Chaos)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x DĆ©jĆ  Vu (Core Set)
3x Iā€™ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (3)
3x Vigil (Order and Chaos)

Resource (3)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (3)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)

Program (12)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
3x Lamprey i[/i]
3x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Swapped Knight for Eater, which is a much better Siphon Enabler. Also dropped the resource suite if favor of more consisted draw and economy (Vigil, IHW, Day Job) and better, less combo-y pressure (Wanton). Crescentus makes sure you can make ā€œrealā€ runs, as itā€™s unlikely the corp will have enough money to re-rez ICE over and over.

My philosophy when building the deck was taking Soul Siphon (a Headlock Reina variant) and making it as elegant and as streamlined as Breakerless Quetzal. Well, once non-Eater breakers were dropped (esp. Corroder), Quetzal became the first swap- as Wraparounds become far less taxing.

I always wanted Datasuckers in these builds (the headlock build too). It seems like it can double as econ and destruction. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a reason for not having it, what is it though?

Three main problems in general:

• Deck space
  • Being collateral damage to Lamprey-related wipes
  • MU clunkiness

The third one doesnā€™t apply in this particular instance, the first two do, though.

Vamp is as good as Siphon, in Reina headlock, maybe better. Itā€™s essential.

This deck flat out loses to asset econ behind ICE.

After a few games on OCTGN, I can confirm that Breakerless [ID] is still fun, and still good. Hereā€™s one list Iā€™ve been playing:

Identity
1x Quetzal

R&D / Stack
3x Data Leak Reversal
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Imp
3x John Masanori
3x Joshua B.
3x Iā€™ve Had Worse
3x Inject
3x Knight
3x Day Job
3x Wanton Destruction
3x Parasite
3x Sure Gamble
3x Account Siphon
3x Fall Guy
3x Deja Vu

Quetzal can be swapped with Reina (or Kim, or Whizzard. Valencia, Noise and Maxx all want their own specific builds). Losing the Quetzal ability increases your risk of getting locked out by dumb Ice Walls, so consider making some cuts for Corroders. One variant I tried cut 3 Injects for 3 Corroders, which doesnā€™t feel correct.

I feel Reinaā€™s ability is rarely triggered; looking through the logs of the games I played, I never had a game where it triggered more than 3 times. Maybe I could try to maximize that by not facechecking further Ice on turns where it has already triggered - but then youā€™d be giving up potential free accesses. Is taxing the corp 3 credits a worthwhile ID ability?

Lamprey, Rook and Armitage have been swapped out.

Day Job is a strong Armitage variant - sometimes more awkward to play (Tennin, Subliminal, Closed Accounts, etc), sometimes less awkward since it canā€™t be trashed by a rich corp. Also has strong synergy with Joshua.

Wanton comes in instead of Lamprey; both work well as HQ pressure, but Wanton doesnā€™t get trashed by Inject, doesnā€™t conflict with Siphon, doesnā€™t randomly die to stray purges and is absolutely insane with an installed Joshua. Mind Twist is strong, even in Netrunner.

Rook was probably the weakest card in the original deck - itā€™s a good card, but something has to come out for 3x IHW. All modes of IHW are strong, be it the 1-cost diesel post Siphon/DJ mode, the anti-jinteki-tax mode or the save-your-ass-from-scorch mode. Running through a Gemini with nothing but IHW in your hand is hilarious.

The resource package is still the most insane part of the deck, and cutting it is a tremendous mistake. All but the richest corps will struggle to trash your resources as you install them. You have three sources of card draw in JM, IHW and Inject - these will give you a constant stream of things the corp must trash or lose. If you have multiple Fall Guys installed and nothing else, break the corp, install a DLR and you will likely win the game on the spot.

Iā€™ve played a few copies of Vamp in early iterations, and Iā€™ve never been in a situation where Vamp wouldā€™ve been good.

Vamp is good if you have relatively easy HQ access, a big pile of credits to throw away and the corp has a big pile of credits (10+) to lose. Between your Imps, Wantons and Siphons, no corp will want to give you easy HQ access, if you have HQ access at all. And in most cases, a Siphon or two will do all the work a Vamp wouldā€™ve done, but leave you up dozens of credits, which you can then leverage into bonus accesses. If you feel you need the Vamp effect, play Siphons, Deja Vus, SOTs, Wantons, Imp and Lampreys before you play Vamp. They are all superior HQ pressure.

Asset Econ behind Ice is annoying, but nonfatal; you can usually come out ahead in a battle of econ attrition if you make good decisions. Imp deals with the most troublesome assets; snap-Imp any 4+ trash asset; doing this twice makes Imp into an effective 1-click Day Job. If your opponent is making you repeatedly run through a popup to do this, it hurts; try to parasite the Pop-Up and render his assets naked. If your opponent puts a PAD behind a Tollbooth, just write it off. They spent 10 credits on that server, itā€™ll take 11 turns before they see any return on that investment. You can win the game in the meantime.

Seriously, Joshua B and DLR are insane, broken cards. Joshua is a 1-cost Rachel Beckmann that doesnā€™t vanish at the first hint of a tag without taxing the corp, and DLR is a 0-cost thing that will give you two R&D mills on the turn you install it (3 with Joshua!), followed by the Corp either immediately foregoing all priorities to trash it (possibly losing ICE to parasite in the process, or having to discard due to max handsize, or having to leave a server unprotectedā€¦) or eating 4-5 R&D mills along with the threat of it happening again the following turn.

1 Like