[Devils Cake] - MaxX Faust Decks With Wyldside

I’ve been testing a similar engine out of Valencia recently and I came to the conclusion that Kati is too clunky when you are drawing even 2 cards a turn. Better to slot more burst econ.

You absolutely want multi access in those decks, or the corp would camp, waiting for your depletion (that WILL come - 5 cards a turn).

I played those Wyldmaxx a month or two in august 2015 : people may think it’s T1 when it’s T2 at best. My Maxx was using my sideway about playing the ID again, and was a tower deck (57 cards) + 2 Larla, and I still got depleted in 20-30% games.

As lots of Anarch decks, without something like a Keyhole, it’s T45 vs strict FA decks and it’s T45 vs foodcoats.
It’s T3 at best vs anything that play Caprice, Ash, Blacklist, Chronos Project…
It’s T3 vs horizontal decks too.

And you will absolutely hate Komainus, Junebugs, Philotics, Sea sources, Punitives, etc.
Turing wasn’t a thing yet. My pre MWL inf was CCx3, Crescentusx3, Larlax2. 3 parasites + maybe yog (not sure).

After playing those 1-2 monthes and being sometimes completely helpless vs certain matchup, I rolled back for Noise.

Sorry this isn’t about 57 card decks. Also all of the posted decks run multiaccess plans that focus on both servers. Also the scrubber versions are fine vs lateral.

Lately i only sometimes use second larla. It may be that your piloting skills or deck building decisions meant you were playing poorly or with a gimped deck.

I was able to maintain credit leads vs blue sun scorch during the tournament. And lateral decks don’t hold up well to medium digs. I could move fast enough vs fa, though fa is probably the weakest matchup

10 Likes

I looked at the sample videos and the decks seem a lot of fun. Still, my reservations about playing 2 Levy’s stand. In all the videos, Levy is not really needed and Same Old Thing was not used all that much either. Playing two copies is nice because you have to worry a lot less on being unable to go through your deck again; but in light of the example games, the influence seems rather wasted.

So maybe either cut down on the SOTs, which are click-intensive or cut down a Levy for better things (Legwork? Additional Parasites? …). Either way, you’re freeing deck slots which is always nice.

Another point: @kiv noted that Grimoire was nice because it lets you play out your hand without MU issues. Otoh, Turntable is cheaper and more impactful against fastro. I always like Grimoire for the significant boost to all your good programs. But what’s the consensus here? Also also: with the added draw, is one copy of your console enough, or is a second one mandatory?

Seems to me 2 levy’s is pretty important for the event centric game plan:

Assuming you see 3/5ths of the cards in your deck on the first pass (times with no wyldside balanced by clicking to draw) you have a 66% chance to draw a single levy naturally. This means a prudent player needs to save some event recursion for it.

With two levy’s your chance of drawing one naturally goes over 80%, which means you can freely spend your event recursion pressuring the corp right now.

2 Likes

The build Kiv was running of mine uses only 2x SoT; 2x Levy; 2x Deja Vu. You need about 6 cards to guarantee you can levy, so you can adjust those slots, but I don’t think you can open slots for other types of cards. Also not seen on screen: games where you get wyldside super late & glacier games which can go on quite a long time.

The 2nd levy may be a training wheels card. I didn’t end up using it all during the tournament I won, but I also didn’t go up against any “slow” decks. RP & Blue Sun both demand the 2nd levy if they’re on good starts.

The difference between L4J and RegAss decks is one of meta. If you go against more glacier, the grimoire build is going to be better; that’s when you need a rig. If you go against more rush and FA that’s when you should use the turn table build since it can punch harder faster and swap those power agendas. I think both decks are legitimate and it depends a bit on your meta which one you want to play.

I’ve been trying something similar out of Quetzal with more of a focus on ice destruction. I’m running Turntable because Astro is a good card. However the extra MU and faster parasiting of Grimoire is appealing. What’s people’s thoughts on the dilemma?

As someone who only wants to keep playing green, I feel like a diabetic dying in the world of cake. I’m slowly realizing that I can’t deny that I need to be playing red right now, and its sad.

3 Likes

I think Kate still has a pretty solid control game, and in a world where people are teching for Cake, Kate is probably going to be able to use that to her advantage. She won’t care much about any of the AI hate, to be sure. But I’m thinking standard ProCo control builds more than Nexus builds, which are fine but not great vs nbn.

I mostly agree that Immolation Script is better than Forked, but I think it comes down to a meta call. In my meta, I see a fair number of 1-off big sentries (like Archer and Ichi 2.0) that are strong counters to Faust. Forked can take out such a troublesome piece of ICE, but Immolation Script is powerless against any single-copy ICE.

Most often, corps will run multiple copies of their best ICE (Eli) in the name of consistency, which are great targets for Immolation Script, but powerful single-copy ICE are better handled by cutlery. If I were to dedicate 3 slots to event ICE destruction, I’d go 2x Immolation, 1x Forked.

1 Like

I see a grand total of 3 legworks and 3 medium on 4 decks. Half of posted decks have both a R&D / HQ “plan”. The other half will get to see a rezzed Komainu in front of their medium and say “meh”.

In most of the posted decks, the most recent card is Chronotype. I was playing more or less the same decks with +6 influence, and I do tell you, I’m highly dubitative that post MWL any of those decks are T1.

I’m also 110% sure that 100.00% of those decks are OMG hell of a fun to play !

It’s not a problem for me that you look at my 6-turns longer decks as non-serious deck or my experience as unsignificant.
I’m not the one who would loose games with a “broken” Maxx in the next weeks :slight_smile:

“Lately” is in how many games ? 5, with 5 different “never saw the deck” players ?

From here, you seem to underestimate the longevity problem, which I suspect to be a problem for a third or a half of the games since I allready had those with less Wyldside in starting hands and longer larla.

That was because I played repeatidly vs the same guys. And no, BlueSun is not, by any means, an easy matchup.
Maybe I’m a Smurf at playing that game. We played together on OCTGN last year or the year before if I remember.
My theory is you’re overselling this deck. This is my theory because I played it.
And I can tell I had matchups so bad that I couldn’t sit on a chair for weeks.

A regular deck like this need 3 larla. I played those and they were slow / unimpressive.
Or a more gimped regular deck with tropes. I played this. This is even more unimpressive than the first plan.
Or a gimped deck that, after the tests I made, was the solution that worked the best for aggro, despite the very high level of negativity everywhere I tell toward those decks.

3x one card is faster to draw in Maxx 57 than 3x in any 45 deck.
3x one card is faster to draw in WyldMaxx 57 than in any 45 Maxx.
3x one card is faster to draw in WyldMaxx 45 than in any WyldMaxx 57, this is true and this is the only source of your doubts.

But this does not disqualify regular 45 non Maxx deck playing 3x the same card.
Or regular 45 Maxx playing no Wyldside.

“Deck choice”. Sure.

But I never hit the concede button.

I’m glad you say we’re two on the same boat and I wonder how you does that. Esp vs Horizontals going Verticals, hybrid decks, Jinteki, baits, etc. By playing the same guy again that never manage to understand how to adapt.

That’s great.

But I’m also quite confident I can beat most of these decks with a Nisei deck

So, “maybe but let’s be cautious here, a real maybe” T1 is unappropriate here. That’s my Smurf thinking.

A T1 deck is a deck working vs people knowing your list. Those decks are not working vs players knowing your lists. That may be sad but it’s true.

1 Like

Kate is still good, but the games are just easier in anarch.

Let’s make a netrunner video. I can broadcast it on hangouts, you give me a deck and tell me how to play it. We’ll run it through games on Jinteki or OCTGN. let me know what your weekend availability is like.

8 Likes

/OT

I spent some time testing Apoc Kate tonight and it definitely has legs.

1 Like

Why should I give you a deck ? Hmm, take yours ?
I’ll be on Jinteki.net in 3-4h. 21h Paris time if you want a rendez-vous :wink:
My current Nisei list plays +1 Crick / -1 Pup, I think it’s not gonna be 5-0, but I think I can do 3-2 (maybe it will be 2-3 ? Or maybe I’m a Smurf :D)

2 Likes

@clercqie At least you’ve got a name for your archetype now, Gargamel Maxx :smiley:

2 Likes

Chronos Project is a pretty hard counter. The Wyldecakes Maxx lists sometimes are forced to sit on 0 cards in deck for a turn or two.

1 Like

This archetype doesn’t use any of those cards. I think you are talking about Apocolypse MaxX, not Devils Cake.

I’ve gotten better at avoiding that since I started playing, but its a serious risk you need to be aware of. Worst thing that could happen would be an FA deck putting it in, but it’d hurt all of their other matchups and they’ve got a better chance than the rest already.