[Devils Cake] - MaxX Faust Decks With Wyldside

Necro.

I took a Rebirth Wyldside MaxX to a GNK today & it felt OK, went 3-1 with a timed loss. Everyone immediately jumps to Andy & Val for Rebirth decks because their IDs aren’t relevant once the game’s begun. I actually think this type of MaxX might be viable too, my reasoning being:

• the weakness of Wyldcakes decks is often their ability to find Wyldside & set up, which MaxX helps with
  • while MaxX’s strange ability looks build-around at first, a list with Wyldcakes & recursion fits into any Anarch identity
  • burning through five cards a turn is bad in long games, so losing the MaxX ID can be beneficial
  • since MaxX dumps events in the heap & you have recursion, finding Rebirth is much easier than in Val (though arguably not Andy)

Anyways, it’s theorycraft right now and I haven’t tested at all. In the GNK today, I rebirthed into Edward Kim twice against SYNC & Haarpsichord, where he was utterly essential. Another game was PE where I was happy to be MaxX though I considered Kim after seeing Neurals & Hedge Funds in hand, & the game I lost I didn’t have a means to Rebirth (needed SoT for Levy) & really needed to turn into Whizzard to trash early HB campaigns, so that game the deck straight up lost for me.

Devil’s Cake MaxX Reborn

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (17)

Hardware (4)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (3)

Program (9)

11 influence spent (max 15-4☆=11)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Liberated Mind

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

3 Likes

Oh boy, this may take up a lot of my time in he near future.

So I didn’t even consider this style of deck when I saw Rebirth, and it makes perfect since to me. I am very passionate about this archatype, and would love if it came back. 1 levy is for sure the right choice, and just coming from a Whizzard perspective I hardly ever go through two decks worth, so as long as you rebirth the first time through you will be fine.

I have some discrepancies with your particular list, but I won’t go into that here. Nevertheless, the idea is genius. Thank you for putting it here and inspiring me to try this deck out again.

Cool, I’ll be really curious to see what you come up with. My list is definitely rough around the edges but I think there’s something good here.

If the goal is to always rebirth is it better to not have the second levy? Because I’ll be honest that second levy has saved me so many times I’m reluctant to drop it.

That’s my thinking, yes. Rebirth over 2nd Levy saves 2 influence & provides additional options depending on the matchup. I definitely would not build Wyldside MaxX without either a way of turning off Wyldside/MaxX’s ID ability or a 2nd Levy.

You only need the 2nd Levy because of how many cards MaxX drops in the Heap, though. If you turn her off after the first pass through the deck, you should really win most games before the 2nd Levy is necessary. I think the 2 Influence saved is an excellent trade.

Is it safe to say devil food maxx is dead? I’m pretty bummed (she was a fun runner), but I can’t even imagine how she functions post this MWL.

Drop the clone chips and pack more Same Old Things and Deja Vu’s and it will still work, but it won’t be crazy strong.

Its still playable, I just don’t think it will be near tier 1.

are there maxx cake decks that include clone chips? I have none, using deja vu for bin return. I still can’t figure out how to fit Faust, wyldside, parasites, David, and the two required Levys.

Probably gotta go x1 Levy and x1-2 Trope. Its not so, so bad with MaxX.

It’s pretty tough now, these were Wyldside-Faust-D4v1d decks & the influence crunch is real. With a minimal spread of:

• 3x Wyldside
  • 2x Parasite
  • 1x D4v1d
  • 2x Faust
  • 1x Levy

you have 4 influence left. Not terrible but not very good either. 2nd Levy, any Clone Chips at all are luxuries.

She was always dead. She doesn’t have 3 recurring credits to trash cards.

2 Likes

Yup. That’s why I switched to the Whizz after rocking MaxX Faust for a few months. She was not bad right after Worlds before asset spam hit. It was a small ass window.

Blueberry

I’m giving it a try at my local Netrunner night this week. Thanks for the deck list. Just out of curiousity. Why is it called Blueberry?

Because Career Fair, which pays for your pancakes (Adjusted Chronotype) is blue. Original deck was called Blueberry Pancakes, I think?

Because I ate blueberry pancakes the morning that I won a tournament with the deck. Tangentially, because people scoff at the deck until they lose to it. I make no claims as to its actual power in today’s meta; and it’s probably extremely tweakable. Without the clone chips you might want to drop parasite all together, get another career fair and something something. In all honesty, the only reason I’m here is because gmail told me someone responded to this thread and it’s the only tie I have left to this game.

Cheers. Enjoy. Don’t blame me if it doesn’t work (or do, it’s probably my fault).

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re not in it anymore. :frowning: thanks for the deck.

Edit: I just realized. You are the OP on this. Thank you for this thread. I played Maxx for two store championchips and a regional. I got fifth at the regional. It’s always hard to find good runners that feel good to play. This was a style of maxx I really loved.

1 Like