Durham NC Regionals 2nd Place Decklists

Hello friends!

I recently got second place at the Durham, NC regionals. Before I get to the decklists let me just say that the store that hosted the event was fantastic! Very little downtime between rounds, everything was clear, the store was clean and the fact that I can watch myself on camera is somewhat intimidating.

Also, a major shoutout to the Atlanta area players who were watching the stream, cheering me on. Couldn’t have done it without their support!

Finally, I went 9-3 through Swiss, with all 3 losses being Corp losses. I then got from top 16 to the winner’s finals, where I lost. I won the loser’s finals, won the first finals game, but lost in the second, meaning overall I went 14-5. The two losses in the elimination both came via my runner, as my corp decided to be far more resilient in the end.

So, here’s the Andromeda deck:
Core Set Breaker Andy:
Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity’s Shadow)

Event (22)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Easy Mark (Core Set)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••••

Resource (7)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••
3x Ninja (Core Set)

Program (3)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I know what you’re probably thinking… NINJA!?!? Yeah, what can I say. When I was building the deck, I wanted to be able to run anywhere. I also didn’t want to change my rig ever. I know it’s suboptimal, but it’s just what makes me feel comfortable. The fact that I use Datasuckers makes it not as terrible some of the times, but Caduceus really hurts. In the end, I feel that using Ninja only really truly hurt in one game, which was in the second game of the finals. Sadly, I could not find a Datasucker, and a Shadow on R&D and a 1 strength Draco on HQ just hurt too much in the end. Further, for the most part, the big trashing program cards aren’t terrible for Ninja to break. Rototurret is 0 strength, which is fine, and Grim is 5 strength, which is exactly where Ninja pumps to. Archer at 6 needs a Datasucker for it to be OK, but 8 credits to break the trash program subroutines isn’t as bad as what happens if you have Mimic and no Sucker tokens…

Defending Ninja aside, I think this deck demonstrates what can happen if you just feel comfortable with your deck. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with just Mimic out, having to worry about Datasucker tokens as a necessary thing rather than a convenience. The rest of the deck is mostly about making the runs more economical, with R&DI, Legwork, Shutdown, etc. Security Testing naturally did its thing, making tons of money on the weekend. Some games I couldn’t get a Kati out and was still fine for money. Stimhack was a nice surprise once and could’ve won me the tournament if I used it on my last run.

The only change I would think to make is reducing the Easy Mark count. Not sure what I would bring in for it, but it seemed relatively underwhelming throughout the tournament.

As for the Corp, here’s the list:

Return of the Arcology

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
2x Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (10)
1x Aggressive Secretary (Core Set)
3x Eve Campaign (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Haas Arcology AI (Creation and Control)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
1x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)

Operation (8)
3x Biotic Labor (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)

Barrier (9)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
2x Heimdall 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set) ••
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (7)
1x Inazuma (Honor and Profit) ••
2x RSVP (True Colors) ••••
2x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••••
2x Viktor 2.0 (Creation and Control)

Sentry (4)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Your almost standard fast advance. Instead of importing SanSans, I decided to use an in faction option for the non-Biotic FA trick, Haas Arcology AI. This allowed me to import good yellow code gates and force the runner to waste a lot of datasuckers on getting through RSVPs, Tollbooths, Viktor 2.0, etc. All 7 of my code gates are 4 or 5 strength, which is quite beefy. I also opted for Eve Campaigns instead of Adonises, purely because people are far less likely to trash Eve than they are Adonis.

An important thing to notice is that when you’re playing against criminal, don’t get to crazy with your Eve Campaigns. They’re good Siphon protection. Also putting one out undefended can easily change into you getting two credits a turn while they get three with Security Testing and Desperado.

I was kind’ve skeptical about this deck going into elimination as it had only gone 50/50 in Swiss, but it came out and went a solid 3-0 in elimination.

5 Likes

Hey Ross, awesome finals matches even if we did both fuck up our runner games, ha. I am glad you decided to post your lists, as we were talking about wanting to test your runner deck as a post-Lotus Field option to stay with the main Andromeda plan. I do think the deck only needs one Easy Mark, as Security Testing is the stone cold nuts in most matchups. I think I would add Mr Li to get to the cards you need more consistently.

Yeah, I remember talking to Ahmed and he was talking about how great Mr. Li is and how you thought it’s one of the best cards. Considering I wasn’t ever really hurting for economy, Mr. Li for Easy Marks is probably a great switch.

Also, fitting a Mimic in would certainly help, as would a Faerie or two. I just like having to find one sentry breaker though, which may make the deck worse overall, but makes me feel more comfortable in the end.

Congrats!

I suppose you’re an Atlantan, but how is the Netrunning scene in NC?

Glad to see someone using Haas Arcology AI. That thing is seriously underrated. IAA, the Runner spends enough money getting in to your remote to create a scoring window, or you get to FA your Agenda. Win/win. Plus it’s nice having an advanceable asset for late game bluffing. Never used it though, mostly because I forgot about it.

FWIW, Ninja + Parasite (with or without DS) deals with everything common except for Caduceus, which is not too bad honestly. It could be worth adding one or two in to snipe at Tsurugis and low-str Dracos. Thoughts?

I played against this deck in round 3 or 4 of swiss. Ross, I was the Whizzard /RP player. I’ve played against Arcology in my local meta so when I saw that in the server I knew it had to be trashed printo. Also, people don’t throw down Ninja unless with good reason. My sentry ice, Komaniu and Tsurugi mostly, were going to take the brunt of that. Your desperado + security testing on my archives really made it a tough game from a corp standpoint. I was hoping that my hail mary play, Fetal AI before a Komaniu, would save the day but your surprise Stimhack was a great move and you wisely broke the subs and not discarded. If it wasn’t match point you would have flat lined, as we discussed. But at match point, go all out and you did. Congrats on your tournament success.

My matches in the top 16 just didn’t go my way. I’m ok with it though. Learned a lot from everyone there.

I came in 3rd in Durham, losing to Ross for both of my elims, after being #1 seed after 6 rounds of swiss. Both decks performed insanely well, the losses coming to a Legwork on the last turn vs. Ross that missed a 1/5 agenda, and the corp loss happened after I drew 18 points of agendas in my top 16 cards. It happens. Here’s what I played:

Midseason regionals

NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)

Asset (5)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (14)

Barrier (5)

Code Gate (2)

Sentry (9)

13 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

ppvp regionalista

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (22)

Hardware (9)

Resource (5)

Icebreaker (4)

Program (5)

45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Most importantly this tournament was the most fun I’ve had playing Netrunner since Worlds, and there are some awesome people playing this game in NC, Georgia, and Alabama.

1 Like

Congrats on your finish hasuprotoss, excellent job. 3 Ninja!!! I think I would have made the switch to 2 ninja, 1 femme fatale fairly easily in this list. I was fairly disappointed with Ninja when I played it before.

@Almotasim: The scene appeared alive and well! Many great players that were from the Durham/Raleigh area, a few guys that I can remember from Winston-Salem. Really good players all around, too.

@LeoLancer: I think the deck could have some Parasites in it. You would probably have to drop Gordian for Zu.13, which may or may not be a big deal depending on how prevalent the lower strength code gates are once Lotus Field drops.

@sonatinas: I remember both games quite well. I remember when you corp’ed, you had like 2 PAD Campaigns, a Mental Health Clinic, and a Sundew all running. I thought that you were just going to have infinite money until I remembered it was super early in the game. I had to waste a lot of time getting all of those assets down, but I think it was the right play in the end. Glad you made top 16, sad that the games didn’t work out.

@hhooo: 60/40 coin flips are always scary. One of the guys from the Atlanta area who was watching the stream blamed the Legwork on taking a year off his life expectancy. It was also interesting to see you run a very similar Kate deck to the one I played in Atlanta. Needless to say, I learned a lot watching it. At least enough to make sure I don’t go 1-5 with it again!

@bluebird503: Thanks man! Us TL guys getting second places in regionals!

That’s so strange to hear about people watching us on stream, I think last time that happened was at worlds. Glad we could put on a good show for them though!

I’d also be hesitant to run Zu over Gordian in the post-upstalk meta, as the strength recursion of Gordian will likely be very relevant if people start playing Viktor 1.0 and Viper in addition to Lotus field. Zu will cost a ton of money to get through those mid-rangey code gates.

@Almotasim The scene here is great. :slight_smile: We’ve had a league going since the Core set released, which currently has 15 players in it. I’m an event coordinator at Atomic Empire (the store that hosted the tournament) and I’m really proud to work here. The TO is extremely devoted and friendly; he has been running the league since the beginning and does a great job working with us. I’m also a Netrunner player; did horribly at the regionals, but that’s what I get for bringing the Chicago Silhouette list without really testing it enough first. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like