E. Kim Appreciation Thread

Seems like everyone is most excited about MaxX and Valencia. I am too. But I really like Mr. Kim as well. I imagine him as getting hard breakers set up fast, then using a combo of Imp, Scrubber, and his ability to really lay waste to a corp deck, aiming for the classic Anarch Medium lock. The link is a great bonus.

Harbinger also seems to have been designed with The Hammer in mind.

Haven not tested, but I am excited to. Any other ideas for this guy?

Edward Kim: Humanity’s Hammer (Order and Chaos)

Event (15)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Special Order (Core Set) ••••
3x Steelskin (Order and Chaos)
1x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••
1x MemStrips (Order and Chaos)
2x Spinal Modem (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
2x Human First (Order and Chaos)
2x Scrubber (A Study in Static)

Icebreaker (6)
3x Cerberus “Cuj.0” H3 (All That Remains)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••

Program (11)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
1x Harbinger (Order and Chaos)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
2x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

1 Like

I like Kim, but we’ve known about him longer, so he seems less shiny right now.

That said, I’m pretty sure he’ll be a thing. At the very least, about as good as Whizzard is – though I think he’ll be better by and large because of how powerful events are and how much better his ability makes Imp + multi-access.

3 Likes

Not so much - Harbinger says “Whenever an installed Corp card is trashed”.

I am super excited for Edward Kim though. Accessing an operation is always like
welp : /
but with Edward Kim it will be like
HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES

Also exciting - an anarch with 1 link whose ability pairs well with Spinal Modem.

1 Like

I think it’s OK that it’s installed cards. The plan is to have Imp and Scrubber, which can handle them.

But I will admit I didn’t read Harbinger closely enough the first time :wink:

I think Kim is very similar to Whizzard, a nice counter to a certain part of the meta but lackluster against others.

As much as I hate to admit it, Kim is better than Whizzard:

• Decks without significant operations are much more rare than decks without significant Assets
  • Imp (as a Kim ability stand-in) takes up memory and has limited uses, unlike Scrubber (as a Whizzard ability stand-in)
  • Last but not least, Kim has a link

Just about the only downside I can see is that Kim has to trash the first Operation accessed, whereas with Imp you get to choose what you use it on (and it doesn’t have to be an Op). Still, he seems to come out ahead quite a bit.

9 Likes

All right, time to put forth a defence of my beloved Whizz.

First of all, I’ve noticed a tendency—of which I, too, have been guilty—to compare Kim and Whizzard’s abilities by saying that Kim’s ability is the operation equivalent of Whizzard’s. Not so! Whereas Kim’s ability is entirely disruptive, and allows you to do something that without the support of other cards you otherwise could not, Whizzard’s ability is of a purely economical nature. In fact, with the possible forthcoming exception of Valencia, Whizzard’s is the only economy ability in the faction.

I think it would be at least a little bit false to say that operations are more important to the decks of the current meta than are assets (and upgrades, let’s not forget). I present as evidence Worlds 2014, where we saw NEH with its Pads, Market Accounts and SanSans; RP with its Sundews, Health Clinics and Ashes; PE, where money is not as important, but which nonetheless has its Ronins and Psychic Fields; Timmy’s Blue Sun with Adonis, Private Contracts and Ash; HBFA with its Adonises, Eves and SanSans; and Jackson Howard in all of these archetypes. In fact, the only match-up in the top 16 where Whizzard’s ability would be a non-factor is Tennin FA, which might soon be forced to adapt to Clot, anyway.

As an aside, I find that a common experience when building and playing a non-Whizzard, “vanilla” Anarch deck—meaning Reina or Quetzal (Noise being a different beast altogether)—is that of enjoying a smooth and mostly functional economy up until you come across an asset which you had really better trash, such as, say, a SanSan. Then, unless you happen to have an Imp on hand or a Scrubber in play, everything grinds to a halt and you’re poorer than a pauper. This problem might go away with a more solid and consistent post-O&C economy, but until then Whizzard smooths it out beautifully.

Now, as for the matter of Imp & Scrubber, it is true that Imp takes up 1 MU and Scrubber does not. But, a question: which of the two cards is more played, and is generally held to be the better one? I predict that you yourself have been running the answer to that question more often than not this past year.

Never mind the fact that Imp is more flexible than Scrubber (or, do mind it) in that it allows not just trashing of operations and agendas, but also (functioning as an economy card) assets and upgrades; never mind all that, but Imp also allows for instant profit by trashing anything from a Pad Campaign to a SanSan, whereas Scrubber can at beast only break even on the turn you install it.

Whizzard will have a place going forward, and I for one am excited to try out Harbinger with him. As for Edward, we shall see in testing, of course, but I think there’s a reason they gave him that 1 link.

6 Likes

Aside from SanSan, however, most of the vital pieces of problem decks are Operations. Sweeps Week, Scorched Earth, Hedge Fund, Biotic Labor, Fast Track, Punitive Counterstrike, ELP, Interns… I can think of very few assets I want to kill equally badly, and assets can be killed with a strong economy.

Imp is certainly more useful than Scrubber, the two shouldn’t be compared. Imp remains one of the best cards in the game, for all that it never sees splashes.

But yeah, Whizzard’s going to have a place so long as assets are things, and the stronger economy that will let him get in more easily to trash is only going to make that more true.

[quote=“Almotasim, post:7, topic:2413”]
but I think there’s a reason they gave him that 1 link.
[/quote]It’s because he requires an access on one of two servers for it to work. With Whizzard, you can hit either of those… or the remote server they’re installed in, making naked assets all but dead from the get-go.

3 Likes

I think Eddy is good. He makes a bunch of decks really sad. I think Whizzard is good to, he also makes a bunch of decks really sad (and 3creds/turn is loads).

I think the link is not the place to look for finding weak abilities. Kate and Andy would still be tier 1 with 0 link. In fact the 0/1 link on IDs is probably a mistake in my opinion.

I’m tempted to say Gabe might be a better comparison for Kim than Whizzard is. Aside from the strength of actually hitting with his ability, one of the big benefits is forcing the Corp to rez more aggressively to protect their centrals. Against most runners, you can just let them hit an HQ full of Biotics and ice while you wait to slam a topdecked agenda, but against both Gabe and Kim, those accesses are a lot scarier. My ideal Kim build punishes those early rezzes with ice destruction and econ denial

11 Likes

Kim is my favorite of the bunch, I think he could potentially be the most powerful, while being least disruptive to your own plan.

I like the build steve. My plan was also to get on my feet and get in fast, but I went down the overmind route. Memstrips should function similar to deep red when it comes to overmind counters, so I made 3 of those mandatory, 3 overminds, and lots of multiaccess, with imp. I do think scavenge is good here, you can reuse imp to trash multiple installed cards per turn, refill d4v1d/cuj0 for blue sun, and if you stick in inject, you can retrieval run a femme (and scavenge to move it)… which is another great slot if you already want RR.

That’s a bit of a dip into my setup, but I do like harbinger as well. I’d go with a few copies though…your deck looks like it might want Djinn with that few copies. I would cut the memstrips in your case and add at least 1 djinn, since you don’t have slots for multiples of important virus cards.

2 Likes

Great thing for the ice destruction deck is that you can nab those huge Overminds and still run a Grimoire to get some more juice out of those parasites. Neat plan there.

Absolutely, I think that is a good route to go, I do think spinal works well with the “run as often as you can” feeling I’m getting from the build.

I dicked around with your setup @steve_houston and took some flavor from my deck…how does this grab you?

Edward Kim Humanity’s Hammer

15 influence spent (max 15) •••••••••••••••
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos
Event (11)

2x Dirty Laundry
3x Scavenge ••••• •
3x Steelskin
3x Sure Gamble
Hardware (5)

3x MemStrips
2x Spinal Modem
Resource (9)

3x Daily Casts
3x Earthrise Hotel
3x Tri-maf Contact •••
Icebreaker (8)

3x Cerberus “Cuj.0” H3
3x Overmind
2x Sage ••••• •
Program (12)

2x D4v1d
3x Imp
2x Medium
2x Nerve Agent
3x Parasite

I realize I gave up datasucker, and its definitely not final, but I think the breakers are good without it, and parasite is for small ice. No (well little with scavenge) recursion, so you have to hit hard and fast before the glacier spins out of control.

The advantages I offer are easier to find multiaccess, quick breaker set up (find 1 overmind and some memstrips, or a sage and cuj.0, or any mix thereof).

Tri-maf was for extended long game money, while still being protected by steelskin, maybe against heavy tagging, only install 1 and keep your hand up.

Again, scavenge works well with a few of the cards, and we could possibly find room for femme, if Tri-maf seems too risky…but then your long term econ is questionable.

I don’t know, I’m just spit-balling a little here with this one.

1 Like

I’m pretty excited about this guy, though I’l be going a different route: plugging him into my “string theory” style anarch deck (found here). The ability is great for thinning decks/hands during a huge multi-access. As much love as I have for the Whizz (I consider him my default runner) I think Eddie fits really well here (and the 1 link synergizes nicely with the already-boss spinal modem).

Really? Are there any corp decks out there that don’t run operations? I think Kim’s ability is always going to be strong.

I think there a fair number of decks that aren’t going to be crippled if you pay through the nose to break into HQ to trash a hedge fund.

While it’s true that there will never be a matchup where Ed is a “blank ID” as occasionally happens with the Whizz, I think there are definitely cases where his ability won’t get him very much, or falls into the category of a “win-more” ability.

All that said, I think @Ilza probably understated Eddie’s strengths with that statement, as he significantly undermines a basic concept for many opponents (that ops are untrashable) whereas Whizzard is just Econ.

2 Likes

I think there are several corporations that only run some operations as economy, and you do very limited damage against them since they will probably not let economy sit in hand against Edward Kim (and the big thing with mr. Kim is the pressure on HQ). Sure you might find something in R&D but that doesn’t really influence the corps actions that much.

Examples of these kind of decks in the current meta would be HB (either non-FA or FA with SanSan) and Jinteki RP.

I’m not saying he is bad in the current meta, just that he is very meta-dependent (like Whizzard).
Edward Kim is pretty strong against the corps that run several utility operations, but don’t trick yourself thinking he is good against the entire field.

2 Likes

Which ones? Asking seriously. RP has ELP and Interns it wants to hang onto, not to mention Celebrity Gift. PE doesn’t need Neural EMP or Scorched but losing them sucks as does whatever econ cards they happen to be running. NEH wants Fast Track and Biotic.

I can’t really think of other corps that could be described as not being somewhat event dependent, though I play in a meat damage heavy meta and that may bias me.

I agree that Operations seem very important to most of the Corporation’s games. I’ve been thrilled to play Kim ever since he was spoiled. I still think he might be the best ID in the big box, but only time will tell. That ability got me so excited when I saw it. Trashing that Biotic or ELP can save you the game, for sure.

With steelskin coming, even fewer blue sun builds will want to run meat damage. That just leaves the economy events, which the corp usually fires off immediately (especially immediately against kim). Likewise I don’t think PE cares. That’s half the meta right now.