Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

Yes. Cascading triggers.

1 Like

Yes. OoS is unique that its trigger effect monitors game state almost all the time. You have time between paying for SMC and installing the target.

BTW, just counted another game (against Jinteki Biotech). I got OoS halfway through the game, got 9c off it ā€“ 1.5 credits/turn on average.

Honestly, OoS complements my Nasir playstyle so well that I cannot imagine not including it in the deck.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your current deck looking like?

This is what I have right now. Iā€™m alternating Clot and HQ Interface. Also, Iā€™m trying 3x DaVinci (instead of Scavenge, Plascrete Carapace, and Deus X), trying to assess whether itā€™s a relevant include.

Solidarity v1.3 (Peddler)

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (6)

Hardware (9)

Resource (15)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (7)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

How often do you find yourself using Atman when you have Inti + Faust?

Atman is on the watch list. Iā€™m not sure that I want it. Itā€™s tricky to balance the credits around it. On the other hand, itā€™s rather versatile ā€“ strength four Atman takes care of Ichi 1.0, Eli 1.0, potentially Assassin with DS counter.

2 Likes

this might sound totally crazy but back when I was still running MO one of my most common atman installs was at strength 10 against the curtain wall spamming blue sun glaciers in my meta. Thereā€™s something nice about having a card in your deck that can beat just about anything if you have the credits for it.

That said, I sure donā€™t install it very oftenā€¦

1 Like

Well, given the rez cost on Curtain Wall, it doesnā€™t really require MO. But then they put another ice in front of it and youā€™re stuck with a very big, useless Atman.

Can I just say as someone who has just dipped their toe into starting to play Nasir, the artcle and this thread has been a wonderful read.

3 Likes

This exactly. Also a decent substitition for D4v1d is Lady + Stimhack. Itā€™s obviously harder to find 2 cards instead of one when fighting Curtain Walls, but sometimes you have to take what youā€™re given.

Yes well, I suppose I meant that as a hyperbolic example of how rarely atman ended up being ā€œwhat I needed.ā€ Though I did install it at ten a few times, it was more of a kick-them-while-theyā€™re-down move to Blue suns who were already losing to me :smiley:

TLDR; atman is definitely on my shortlist if cuts become necessary. itā€™s very hard to have the full lump sum when you need it, I find.

On that note, has anyone else noticed that corps are wither a) dropping midseasons like a bad habit, or b) supplementing it with alternative tagging techniques? Though I think FC is a very strong slot for Nasir regardless (NAPD and TFP ainā€™t going anywhere) Iā€™m honestly feeling like I need 2x plascrete, or at least 1x utopia to supplement the one plascrete. It continues to be rough out there for cash-poor runnersā€¦

I find that with Imp and a plascrete Iā€™m usually good.

I played three games against NEH. It was sad. One was close (it came down to a misclick, basically) but the other two werenā€™t even close. The main trouble is not the speed, itā€™s their cheap Ice: I canā€™t use it to fuel Nasir. Combined with the fact that I can rarely trash SanSan, this spells trouble.

Specific card notes:

• DaVinci. I played about ten games with DaVinci. I liked it in two, maybe three, where it ended up as being Nasirā€™s Easy Mark. Otherwise, it clogged the deck and my hand, and required MU. Decided to drop it.

• Clot. I cannot support this versus NEH AstroBiotics. Floating the 4c is painful, and they can just purge and there isnā€™t much I can do about it. Iā€™m not applying enough HQ/remote pressure to support Clot.

• HQ Interface. Iā€™m testing this as Clot replacement and itā€™s doing wonders. The ability to scan the Corpā€™s hand rather easily is wonderful. Going to keep testing it.

• Multithreader. Played four or five games with it, itā€™s doing work. Supporting SMC and Atman is a notable bonus, allowing me to utilize it on turns when Iā€™m not running.

This lead me to the following, R&D-heavy build. It has many changes from previous versions ā€“ the absence of D4v1d, to note one. Ghost Runners are also gone, as is Faust, which might still come back to bite me.

Solidarity v1.5

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (5)

Hardware (11)

Resource (15)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (8)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Hmm. I donā€™t think this is a step in the right direction. Iā€™ve been abusing Imp in the Fastro matchup, and Iā€™ve been over 50% win ratio. Legwork + makerā€™s is strong

1 Like

Entirely possible that thatā€™s the way to go. Iā€™ll give the R&D dig build a few tries versus NEH (and other decks), if that doesnā€™t work I might resort to Imp. My one concern is that itā€™s vulnerable to Cyberdex, which is a bit of a bummer.

Agree on all of these points. I havenā€™t been able to test a ton with multithreader (D&D isnā€™t in my meta yet and the last time I proxied a card too heavily, it gave me bad habits from playing it in an unprepared metaā€¦) but the few games I have indicate that it has great possibility in Nasir.

[quote=ā€œCJFM, post:354, topic:2609, full:trueā€]
Hmm. I donā€™t think this is a step in the right direction. Iā€™ve been abusing Imp in the Fastro matchup, and Iā€™ve been over 50% win ratio. Legwork + makerā€™s is strong
[/quote]I rarely disagree with El-ad on matters concerning Nasir, but Iā€™m with you on this one. Iā€™ve tried dropping imp so many times but it is just too good. Medium is tempting against NEH but probably wonā€™t be great in many other matchups- imp on the other hand is practically an install-every-game type of card. Deep in the doldrums of getting crushed by midseasons and TFP, I was even running a mildly-successful-but-ultimately-not-great deck with imp/progentior/virus breeding ground just to keep me in imp tokens.

Iā€™m definitely open to putting Imp back. The challenge is influence. Three questions:

• what do you guys usually Imp?

• how often do you tutor for it?

• how often do you scavenge it?

1. depends completely on the matchup. If Iā€™m scared of scorch and canā€™t find plascrete, Iā€™m attacking the combo pieces in HQ. against NEH, Sansans have got to go. I also like to hit unfavorable ICE when I see it in RnD or HQ, especially if I currently have a favorable board state, doing this can prolong the corps agony. Last but certainly not least, sometimes you just need to trash ash or some other high value target but canā€™t get in and still have credits (even with ghost runner) - imp to the rescue again. If I canā€™t find a film critic, imp also serves double duty for agends you see at the wrong time or canā€™t score.

2. almost every game I donā€™t draw it naturally. occasionally if iā€™m light on tutors (i.e.: one SMC drawn and no clone chips in sight) Iā€™ll do without, but it hurts.

3. tied for #1 scavenge target with d4v1d. Kinda depends on how badly I need it and whether or not my opponent has exhibited any virus hate (either by purging willy-nilly or by packing cyberdex cards). Incidentally, even when Iā€™m not scavenging for imp, a used one makes nice scavenge fuel, to be turned into a cheap or free breaker or parasite without using a clone chip.

1 Like

I use it every game. Itā€™s one of the first cards I tutor for unless I run into a dangerous ice early and need an answer right away. I prefer to legwork with imp and try to pick apart troublesome ice or cards (interns, scorch maybe, midseasons, sea source, architect). On average I use clone chips to recur imp and scavenge for d4v1d.

1 Like

It sounds like the two of you recurse Imp quite aggressively ā€¦ Iā€™ll switch between it and Medium and see how I do. Probably means I need to find room for Scavenge again.

Iā€™m also considering giving Scrubber a try. Cannot be tutored but thereā€™s a reasonable chance of drawing it by mid- to late-game.