Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

Yea that Tyrant makes such good use of that ability.

Hilarious but it looks like Leviathan is the most efficient breaker vs Orion. Hard to motivate it against anything else though.

1 Like

Surely you meant “Atman at 8”? It’s a bit singular in its purpose, but I hear Janus is making a comeback anyway :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s not an icebreaker. But for breaking Orion d4v1d is surely most efficient. Faerie is as good as the Failer Whale. Amusingly it’s not a destroyer, so Sharpshooter (which you think would work) is useless. Quetzal with e3 runs through for 2 creds :smiley:

The best thing about the constellation ICE in my opinion is that they make your Ice Wall deeply terrifying.

5 Likes

Constellation moving a token is worth more or less 6 credits to blue sun.

It adds life to swarm,

imo… lady and quetzal move blue sun away from
big barriers. Also more to wormhole. For economy.

Finally susano. Becomes… crazy with 2 wormhole. All roads lead to archives.

Finally Constellation ice in tenin… looks crazy good.

1 Like

Though again, Tyrant.

LOL. Didn’t even think of that. Great point. But really, any excuse to at least see that whale hit the table.

sorry wasnt paying attn to what thread this was

So went to my last tournament with Noise. Wished the whole day I had gone with Nasir. My goodness this deck has grown on me. Still managed a third place. Noise still rocks.

I’ve really loved playing this deck too. It’s the only deck I made for OCTGN at first, so it’s all I had to use.

Maybe not the most wise choice for a newbie to both ANR and OCTGN, as this deck is so technical. However, I actually feel like it has grown my game by leaps and bounds both in real life and on OCTGN.

Having to actually think things thru, and juggling everything, really has helped me to learn the game really fast.

Nas has quickly become my favorite ID. I’m looking forward to trying out the ice hate variation. That looks like a ton of fun too.

1 Like

My stance is if other people make this deck work, I can beat myself over the head with it until I get it as well.

1 Like

This deck helps you learn the game and timing windows very well. If you have a mind for games, you will benefit greatly from playing this. Still a lot of fun for me too.

1 Like

The one catch is that this deck (and Nasir in general) really require great knowledge of the cardpool - both those in your deck and those that are commonly present in corp decks. If you’re the kind of gamer who rapidly absorbs and retains that kind of info already, this deck is a great tool for developing an even better grip on mechanics and cardpool.

If, however, you’re the kind of player who prefers the interpersonal aspects (bluffing, headgames, pacing, etc.) this deck would be a frustrating one to learn on I think - if not played very tightly, it punishes you horribly for wrong guesses and sometimes just as horribly for correct ones, if your math was one or two off.

In general, I try to keep Nasir as far away from beginner games (on either side) as I can. When you’re still grasping for what cards do what and which ones interact with others in which ways, Nasir makes things a lot harder to parse. That said, it can be a great deck to show to someone who’s starting to get excited and be like “see? this is the kind of crazy thing you can do if you wanna get deeper into the game…”

2 Likes

Yeah true. Though, and I think this is the beauty of him, I’ve never lost a game where I didn’t think I could’ve done that instead and come out on top. It’s nice to know my deck has the chops, even if I don’t.

1 Like

I don’t think I will ever be motivated enough to finish that article, so I’m going to post the list here instead

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (3)
3x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (11)
3x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (9)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
3x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set) •

Program (11)
3x Cache (The Spaces Between) •••
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••
1x Medium (Core Set) •••
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

The key is Aesop’s Pawnshop instead of Magnum Opus. I succeeded in building a Nasir deck that is not overly reliant on Personal Workshop, but 1-2 Armitage Codebusting is necessary for the games when you don’t draw Pawnshop. The only card slots that I’m not sure about are Medium (chosen primarily for the Astrobiotics matchup), Corroder (you need some non-Lady barrier solution, but Snowball or Inti would be fine), and the 2nd Armitage.

For sure! Fun rules facts:

• If you install a Cache off of Personal Workshop’s “when your turn begins” trigger, you can’t use Cache if you want to immediately sell it to Aesop’s
  • You can use Femme to prevent Nasir’s ability from resolving
  • When you encounter a freshly rezzed Tollbooth, you can’t spend credits in between resolving Nasir’s ability and resolving Tollbooth’s “lose 3 or end the run”
  • If you begin your turn with 0 credits, Order of Sol, and Personal Workshop hosting a Parasite with 1 power counter, you can use the Order of Sol credit to install Parasite and get the “when your turn begins” virus counter
4 Likes

Well maybe it’s just me, but nothing helped me learn this game better than this deck. I just started playing a month ago, and I never truly grasped the game until I started playing Nas. It took 2 games and I was like “Hey wait, yea, ok!” And from there I’ve seen my game grow leaps and bounds.

I’ve started to teach a friend how to play, and we started off with 2 generic decks with lots of all around stuff. But I’m going to start playing Nas against him and have him play it. I really believe this deck forces you to learn on the fly, and IMO that is the best way to learn how to play ANR. But I could be totally wrong, and it could just be a fluke thing for me.

Just took this list (El-ad’s) to a 24 person store champs. I took 6th mostly on the strength of my undefeated corp - Nasir didn’t hold up so well, going 1-5 with two timed losses. It was particularly frustrating because I got a lot of the familiar lectures about “too many moving parts” and “don’t know if all the cards are there for him yet,” both of which I reject - I have been crushing with this deck recently, and my games were largely lessons in current corp-side strength and poor card draws.

game 1: A loss to TWIY FA. This was a case of perfect card draw on the corp side. I won’t go into detail, but we all know these games. By turn 4 He had 4 points and 2 astro tokens and I had just drawn my first program. It happens.

game 2: A timed loss against a Titan transnational, this one was a bit lame. He had 3 hostile takeovers scored, and Despite having emptied his hand with utopia+imp and having a 3-deep RnD lock for the last 6 or more turns, I only ever found a single 2 pointer.

game 3: my only win was against the only NEH I faced! Nasir had his number, stealing NAPDs with ghost runner, parasiting pop ups and elis, Imping Biotics and SanSans, Utopia nabbing a fast tracked astro. Nasir was humming along, getting free money and flexing the toolbox well.

game 4: vs. blue sun, saved myself from a turn 2 sea scorch with utopia shard, leaving just one card in his hand. I thought this was my window of opportunity, so I ran RnD with an interface the next turn, and pulled 2x 3-point agendas. turn 3, 6 point punitive for the win. rough stuff.

game 5: Another timed loss versus a titan transnational, this one was my turn to get bad cards. after 35 minutes of frustrating and perilous gameplay, I looked at my bottom 10 cards, I was so enraged: 3x clone chip, 3x self modifying code, and 2x scavenge. I had zero flexibility, tutoring, or recursion all game, and still managed to hold him to 4 points, and they guy gave me the “too many moving parts” line. guh.

Game 6: against the game 4 blue sun (who I’m happy to say took 2nd place overall) after the cut. He rezzed a total of 4 archers; it was a rough game. I ended up biting it when I was up 4-0 because I took an IAAed shattered remains to the face and lost both plascretes. Probably my biggest misplay of the tournament, but I was running out of sharpshooter recursion and he had no reason to think I could break his remote archer again, so I thought a 3-pointer play might be real.

Anyways, the point of this is don’t let naysayers tell you Nasir is shit just because of crazy draws: This deck has the chops in 9 of 10 games, it was just too bad these 5 games were apparently my 5 in 50.

4 Likes

Totally agree. There are a lot of people who are like “Nasir?” when I load it into OCTGN. Then by turn 2 things are going so fast I honestly think it causes the other side to make mistakes, and I am pumping out every breaker needed, and getting 2+ card looks on R&D consistently from there on out. But I have found that the best players on there always says Nasir yes!

There is a ton to think about while playing this deck, and there is a huge difference between real life and OCTGN when playing it. But the speed alone makes me really love the pressure it puts on the corp when you have so much for them to keep track of and you are in total command of all those moving parts.

3 Likes

keep bringing him and pound the smiles out of those players’ faces. like @Jarimy123 said, I think good players respect Nasir, and not only because he is difficult to play, but because he is very disruptive and with this list in particular, very strong. you should have asked those people if they have ever heard of El-Ad David Amir, and if they answered no, just said, “cool gg” and left the table.

1 Like