Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

Have something that I’m working on, still in flux. Right now the influence is spent on Parasite, Rook, 1 Mimic, 1 Datasucker, 1 Femme. No Deep Red.

No stimhack, it just feels a little comboish to me, more than I’d like. I still run Workshop though, but it’s more the little installs like Parasite and Rook than anything.

Re: Blue Sun. Rook isn’t ideal, but honestly their game plays into your game, so I don’t think it’s that much of an issue. I can take my four credit swing and be happy with it. And honestly, do they even want to rez a Rooked Ice Wall?

Re: Cyber-Cypher. I like it a lot, it’s fiddly against Blue Sun (need to find room for Scavenge), but it’s the best Lotus Field answer until Yog+Net-Eyes.

So, the build I’m taking to our store champs next weekend has very few changes. Just two, in fact.

• 1 Plascrete, +1 Scavenge

I’m right there with you, realizing more and more what a workhorse scavenge is. with two cards that are an answer to scorch still in the deck (1 remaining plascrete, 1 shard) and 1 soft counter (imp recursion) I think I’ll be ok…or at least I hope so. the tradeoff is big, I think, as scavenge is one of those “you never regret drawing it” cards in this deck.

Anyone else playing with small “no-brainer” tweaks to this build that they think are working? I’m interested to know if anyone’s been having significant success with a slightly different list.

O & C will be out by then. And unless it’s not legal for the tournament, I’d expect to find a bunch of Weyland Scorch decks and perhaps go up to 3 plascretes as a result.

What you talking about willis?

Naisir can expect am entire evening of running into ice wall and quandary since blue sun will recur it and recur it and recur it and recur it…

Parasite them.

BTW, Constellation ice is coming, I suspect that it will be popular (at least early on, until people figure out whether it’s good or not) and it hits Nasir pretty bad. Would love to hear ideas on how to address it.

2 Likes

My first instinct says Forged Activation Orders. It’s not a denial tool in this case, but stops them resetting you. Could be useful in other matchups for a sure-fire late-game run as well.

(Cyber Threat could be useful as well, if it wasn’t so overcosted influence-wise, and a Priority)

1 Like

They are all Str 5+ and only Orion has more than 1 subroutine. You already have d4v1d. I don’t think you’re in bad shape to be honest. I’m not sure how good that ICE is either. Advancing ICE isn’t free. We’ll see.

You cannot tutor to it and each one is 2inf. I’m not really sure how you clear influence for it … and even then it’s irrelevant in other matchups.

Empirical evidence necessary!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is Nasir will get the printed cost, even if the corp rezzes it for next to nothing?

Nasir gets the rez cost. For the constellation ice, that is precisely the cost advancement tokens reduce.

6 Likes

Yep poor dude. Lol. Well luckily Orion is unique. So femme for him and recurring D4’s for the rest.

Yeah, honestly, I’m dubious about constellation. It definitely provides a strong tool against nasir, but once david hits the table it’s like “why am I advancing this again? so that sometime down the road I can cost him a single token?” I usually find that I spend a lot of time as a runner worrying about the worst-case scenario ICE matchup (in this case, stacked, unrezzed, fully advanced constellations everywhere) but the reality is that most ICE strategies come out in fits and spurts, and I think Nasir is flexible enough to pressure this ICE plan pretty hard.

It’s a good point though that a few days after the O & C release is probably a bad time to be cutting plascretes. I think I will probably keep them in :smiley:

Honestly, I’m less worried about how this will shake up Nasir’s game and more about how it will rattle my corp’s performance…

For me, this is the part of the monologue where I answer “so I can make fucktons of money with Commercialization and FA stuff out with Tricks of Light” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:smiley: granted! I’m just saying, the things that hurt Nasir most aren’t usually “well if they do this one specific thing it’ll screw Nasir” it’s “well NBN already plays a ton of cheap taxing ICE, regardless of the runner ID, and that hurts Nasir more than others.”

If constellation ICE with ToL turns out to be a strong play regardless of Nasir, then ok, we have something to deal with. If it’s a weaker gimmick deck that just has a little extra power against Nasir, then I’m not too worried.

Time will certainly tell though; may definitely be something to fear for all runner, not just Nasir.

I agree with El-Ad, that empirical evidence is needed, but my hunch is that won’t see much Constellation ice in Blue Sun, since it’s anti-synergistic with the ability: you’ll get the same amount of credits as it costs to rez it and you lose the advancement counters. Unless, you’re using trick of light or other shenanigans (i.e. Constellation Protocol), but that seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of payoff (since the only 3/2 agenda in Weyland is Atlas). Also, you can get past Nebula with just a credit and a Sharpshooter and Asteroid Belt just ends the run. Wormhole requires some set-up, but could be nasty depending on what else is on the board. Orion is tricky, D4V1D is probably your best bet to deal with it mid-run.

The good news is that if they’re not running Constellation ice in Blue Sun, Nasir could use Femme and Parasite (and lots of patience) to deal with them.

Another question is whether there’s a competitive non-BS Weyland build out there. Both Gagarin and Titan are interesting, and both could use Constellation.

I think Titan has the most promise, but that’s a new thread ;).

1 Like

I agree with @hypomodern that Titan will probably be best. You can run 3 Tricks of Light and 1 Biotic or SanSan City Grid and still have 4-5 influence left over. Then you can chain out Atlases by using the extra counter from the Titan ability to either search for another Trick or another Atlas (depending on whichever comes first). You’d probably want to use the Constellation ice to fuel the Tricks after they serve their purpose.

Definitely need to start a new thread for Titan.

Now I’m thinking Tennin with Const Ice.

It’s probably worse than 3xIce Wall + Tyrant in Tennin :wink:

3 Likes