Feeling Blue About Blue Decks

Yeah, it’s easy to win with a lot of crim decks if you’re not playing vs FA, Rush or Kill, but that is a long way from saying that the deck is any good.

1 Like

Oddly enough rush and FA decks are precisely the kinds of decks I want to play against as Crim. Even with Iain I would probably jam 2-3 Inside Jobs just to keep corps honest.

Perhaps not most kill decks but I do like bouncing advanced cards.

2 Likes

Rush is usually fine. For that kind of crim though, FA is usually awful.

1 Like

It was an example of how I would approach an ID in the faction regardless of the the text box. I would never play Iain personally but the faction does have tools to retain parity against rush and FA was what I was getting at.

I’m more of a vanilla Desperado-Sec Test wielding Crim.

The deck that started this conversation was some phereomones eater denial thing, and having played that a lot I feel like i can say that yeah, it sucks vs FA.

2 Likes

It’s fine. It loses to Mumbad Temple Nearpad but its regular Spags NEH isnt too bad. Its pretty dependent on an early Desperado.

1 Like

Yeah, you need sec testing and preferably masanori also to have any chance vs asset spam decks, and with museum around everywhere atm asset spam is massive right now.

Basically its dependent on having Andromeda quality opening hands.

Nice Job with Perfume!

I notice your only change was going to 3x Mongoose over 1x and 2x Faerie. What was your reasoning behind this? Were you installing multiple Mongeese?

I found that getting Mongoose early enabled me to run multiple times a turn without fear, especially when Eater wasn’t out, and thus was more desirable. Forcing early rez of a lot of ETR Ice kept my Corp opponents off balance and poor. It made my Special Orders more targeted when I needed a solution. I treated this deck like how I played Gabe back in the first Data Pack cycle… Always Be Running. Faerie is a great card but as soon as I lose it, I felt like I would be pausing while I dug for the next one or Mongoose. This is critical against Blue Sun that is going to move its face check punishment around. I never installed two but I never worried that I would lose my killer to program destruction.

@gh0st_b1rd, I love that your user image is the Alt-Art I created for RP!

And this is why Andy was the Queen runner for such a long time. Gabe was quicker on the draw but there was more varience in your openning hand that could spell your doom in the mid to late game. Gabe players just learned to love varience as a fact of life or moved on to Andy.

Its my fave alt art for RP so far. Although the Anrpc alt art is quite pretty.

But Leela ended up being quite strong against NEH as well without being either Andy or Gabe. She’s pretty much an anti-Architect against NEH.

2 Likes

Interesting list. What’s your answer to Turings? Presumably you’re trying to keep them poor enough to not rez ICE?

Your primary vector for a win is the centrals. Between derezing ice, siphon, and vamping, you can work around Turing. Even a double turing falls to Inside Job and clicking through the second one. If they put Turing on centrals, then dig/tutor passport and rock on.

Okay, here’s my desperate thoughts about salvaging Blue decks for the day:

Career Fair.

This is a card that’s used all over the place, in tons of decks, except in Criminal. Why?

Well I guess it’s because of the Criminal’s poor resource options. We’re basically stuck with Daily Casts and Earthrise Hotel. The only in-faction cards that look good are Mr Li and The Supplier (the latter of which doesn’t play nicely with Career Fair). Maybe Mr Li could help find the right pieces at the right time?

Career Fair is a strong card that accelerates board development. Strong cards are worth planning around. What can we do with it?

heh I pretty much run it…alongside the cards you mentioned…though sometimes to career fair out a kati, masanori, or symmetrical can be ok…but I do it out of Andy, so you get dece opening hands that free up more easily with a career fair and a resource to use it on t1…not sure it can do much more generally for the sake of criminals…

I’m thinking something like HB Food where they may have Caprice / Ash in the remote. If they shore up centrals early and make money, then you’re looking at single access to try and win? My experience against Gabe has been you lose some points early as Corp, but once you stabilise he runs out of steam.

With less Crisium about these days, he’s probably in a better place.

1 Like

I’m playing a really similar deck to @saracenus and haven’t got a HUGE amount of experience with the HB match up, but I imagine you just keep hitting HQ to build up cash, then when they go for a score Pheromones/Vamp them to 0 then hit the remote.

I’ve certainly seen less Crisium around, but on HQ it’s usually easy to pop down a Sneakdoor and go trash it.

Still, these are all problems… problems that will potentially be solved by Polop coming in a couple of packs’ time.

The reason it sees so much play in Anarch is because it pairs so well with strong cards, that is, cards that you would play even without Career Fair in your deck. Liberated Accounts, Daily Casts, Wyldside and Chronotype all cost >=3. Can you think of any resources that would go in a standard Criminal deck other than Daily Casts that cost >=3?

It’s not worth playing bad cards for the sake of trying to fit Career Fair in your deck, I feel. What we need are cards that are worth playing on their own, and once we have those, we can pair them with Career Fair. High cost resources aren’t exactly suited to the faction that goes tag-me the most, though. Career Fair seems a bit like a Cache/Traffic Accident card, a card obviously made for another faction and given an inf.

2 Likes