FFG Floor Rules

I’m not laying MY cards on the table. Greedily snatching cards from the Corp player’s hand is like half the fun of Netrunner!

What’s next; you’re going to tell me I can’t Gambit-throw stolen agendas at the runner’s play area anymore?

Also, the no-concession rule continues to be incredibly stupid and I will continue to ignore it entirely.

4 Likes

That’s one way but you can go another level. Ask the first few times you install something. Next time install PAD or whatever, start to advance it but then take it back and say “sorry, I forgot, do you want to clot?”

I’m not an expert, but I kinda think that starting to advance a non-advanceable card (whatever “starting to advance” entails in any meaningful sense of the phrase) in order to try to gain an advantage in the game constitutes cheating.

2 Likes

Grey area. I have more than once grabbed a token, gestured towards advancing a card, maybe even tapped it with said cred, and backed off, doing something else. I never advanced the card, but I simulated debating doing it.

We’re playing a game with bluffs, which the corp really needed. It’s a fine line, but a fun one, IMHO.

12 Likes

This has been discussed to death here and on BGG, I don’t think anyone’s mind will change one way or the other.

Nope. A card (or token) laid is a card played, but not before. If you can get consensus to change the floor rules, fair enough, but consider the difficulty of choosing a different point to mark as ‘final’ - which you alluded to with ‘whatever that means’. Can you not touch an advancement token unless there is an advanceable card on the board? Can you say “hmm, should I advance?” out loud?

Bottom line, just don’t trust your opponent when they appear to give up free information like this. A priori there’s a 50-50 shot whether you are reading them or they are playing you - are you sure you’re on the right side of that bet?

3 Likes

Move’s not done until the hand releases the piece.

2 Likes

I find the easy solution to this problem being to audibly articulate your clicks.

Click one: Install in a remote server.
Pause for dramatic effect
Click two…
make eye contact with opponent to acknowledge they know I’m moving on
Shipment from SanSan; action window - rez SanSan…

2 Likes

I think it’s good form to offer an “any reaction?” when it comes to situations like this. Obviously you don’t need to do it for every click, but for stuff like Clot it avoids awkward judge calls and means you don’t need to decide if the time you’ve waited for is considered sufficiently long before continuing.

4 Likes

These two Day Job avatars are really fucking me up.

Have a 2-of-3 falls on OCTGN for the rights.

12 Likes

I was thinking the same thing…

2 Likes

My proposed solution would be to let the runner install the card from workshop, but hayleys ability doesn’t trigger this turn.

Xenasis and Vinegary are like one person anyway, same decks, they even look uncannily similar IRL. Honestly, its like they’re twins.

5 Likes

The problem with this statement is that if I’m offended it’s insulting

10 Likes

People should use images from classic Netrunner :wink:

Evil Twins? (c.f. my avatar from classic Netrunner)

3 Likes

Why? @Xenasis was here first and started using it first…

NEH players should ask for actions on every install. I’m super annoying about it and often ask even if there’s no way I could fast Adv something, just to get them in the habit of saying no :smile:

Always ask before access
Always ask for clot actions

It’s pretty simple.

6 Likes

I’m lazy and stupid and only bother to ask if they have something installed that will let them Clot.

Actually, usually I’m even lazier and stupider: “You got anything to Clot me with? No? I’ll score this thing!” and then toss it down in my score area before subtracting credits or bothering to actually physically install it or anything.

On the subject of paid ability windows (i.e. “Clot and Shards and stuff”):

Whatever anyone thinks of the clunky nature, or otherwise, of the Netrunner timing sequence, surely the official policy on this is fairly well covered by the “Shortcuts and Out of Order Sequencing” section?

"Some players will take an action with a shorter method than the game rules allow or take
multiple actions in the incorrect order."

Skipping paid ability windows (or deciding the opponent’s actions within them) is not allowed by the game rules. Resolving further steps beyond a not-yet-resolved paid ability window is taking actions in an incorrect order. So this document suggests that you can skip paid ability windows, but only if both players agree to that (although it’s discouraged) and only if skipping the particular formalities results in the same end result as if the shortcut wasn’t taken. In the case of paid ability windows that would only seem to be possible where a player had no possibility of taking any paid abilities, since there were no possible paid abilities in play.

It isn’t the most elegant part of the game (and certainly not in conjuction with time-limited games), but it doesn’t seem there is any doubt as to the required ruling as far as FFG are concerned.

"Rushing through complicated actions solely to save time can be dangerous and
introduce errors to the game unintentionally."

3 Likes

So after reading the official floor rules I was wondering something.

Let’s say that the runner installs a program an goes over his MU but neither player notices that. Two or three turns later one of the players realizes of the “Illegal game state” of having just 4 MU available but 5 MU actually used.

Now this is what I found on the floor rules about this issue on page 13:

If the game state has changed significantly since the infraction occurred, leave the game as it is
but remind players to be more mindful of the game state. For example, if the Runner installs
Sneakdoor Beta with only 3 credits in his credit pool then makes two runs using Sneakdoor Beta
and draws a card for his remaining click and the Corporation takes her full turn before realizing
the error, the game state has progressed too far and too many decisions have been made to fix the
error.

That doesn’t make much seance on this scenario I think. What should be the official rulling on this situation?.