First Contact, First Evaluations

What are you using for tag punishment. How many tags did you land successfully. I too am excited to try out manhunt and it will replace City Surveillance in my Taxing NBN deck.

Yes if you have one in play it goes away but then you have less agendas so it gets better if you play another. The only point you don’t really want to play it is when the runner is floating a lot of tags, and then you should be able to do something better with those tags (hopefully).

In the first game I played I didn’t see manhunt until the runner had 6 points, and it was pretty valuable for slowing them down and keeping the pressure of potential tag punishment on at that point.

I was running Scorch for tag punishment. The influence package was 2x Snare, 2x Scorch, 3x Eli.

I wasn’t running Psychographics but in most games drawing one would have been relevant as the runner gets to a point where they just start floating because it’s too much of a pain to keep up (especially if they hit a snare after a manhunt run). I’m putting one in but I’m dropping the ice total down to 15 to do it, which is less than I usually like to run.

1 Like

Manhunt is almost certainly, in my mind, the next best current after ELP. It’s a lot better than Midseasons in a MN scorch deck. The brutal thing about it is that for the runner to steal an agenda, they have to run. Okay, so think about it. You don’t want to float a tag, and you have a link because you’re playing a non shit runner or Exile, and so you pay $3 to not take the tag. Better than $2 and a click.

Okay, so you run 2 times and don’t see an agenda. You’re getting pretty poor. You have two options: Float tags, or stop running. The second isn’t actually an option most of the time unless you have something super productive to do like click an Opus a lot of times, so really, what that manhunt just did was take $6 from you, then started tagging you. Super good for $3.

The thing is, it’s not like Midseasons for a million, where you’re just like “okay, so im floating now”, you actively avoid the tags for money for a while in the hopes that it will go away, and when it doesn’t, you’re in a pretty deep hole. Especially if you plan on being able to steal NAPDs, (which is important if you ever want it to go away).

3 Likes

http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/9p3zQrmGaYqZMJ3Tm

For reference.

Jerklin was playing something like this list but I think he was playing +1 Wraparound +1 Snare, -1 Archived Memories -1 Psychographics.

Hmm, I don’t see it being as great as you say. Let’s say you’re Andy with a Desperado. The first run it costs you 2c to avoid the tag. Every other run that turn doesn’t cost anything. Also Draco is turned off because no reoccurring credits left. Also 3c is kind of steep to play a current. I definitely think it has potential and is quite possibly the second best current (the other ones are pretty bad, tbh) but you have to play Making News. Who wants to do that when NEH exists? :stuck_out_tongue:

It would do a lot of work vs 0 link runners though. Probably forces them to go tag me.

2 credits in a vacuum isnt much but 2 extra credits when you have to spend some amount of credits to break the ice, float enough for possible NAPDs, trash assets and make a security testing run to earn money to make future runs is aggravating. heck just taking the bite out of security testing is worth it imo.

i think there are some very good tag hell making news builds possible now but might remain hidden for awhile because NEH is the monster in the room.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree on Manhunt. It’s strong in SE-backed Making News as a pressure card (that also happens to counter potentially annoying runner currents too!).

Okay, so you’re right that it can be somewhat “cancelled” by Desperado/Security Testing to some degree, but Andy relies on these cards for economy. Canceling them out leaves her having a hard time dealing with SanSans and NAPDs and Elis and setting up breakers. I am just glad to see anything that gives you a reason to play a non NEH NBN deck.

3 Likes

Amen. My 2c without having played with the new cards says Manhunt is terrifying. Hope we see some more variety in Runner currents soon. Though I guess only Criminal don’t have access to a playable current for no influence.

Having played with it last night it wasn’t as good as I had hoped. First I didn’t fully read the card and realized during play that it was once per turn effect. I will need to play test it much more to formulate a better opinion on it

Manhunt seems underwhelming only because it only triggers on the first successful run a turn. You can factor the trace cost into calculating what you need to break ICE/pay for things, or just drop the tag afterward if the trace is really an issue. Dealing with one more tag/turn isn’t as big a deal, but it can get annoying.

Seems like a big deal to me, potentially. Sure, it might only go off once or twice, but that’s either 6 credits, 5 credits and a click, or 4 credits and two clicks in tax. Might not be huge, but navigating that, with Midseasons or SEA Source left to punish you? Going to be something, I think.

1 Like