Flashpoint Cycle!

Now with all the cards of the cycle spoiled, we found an interesting thing. There’s only a single, pure “End the run” subroutine in the entire cycle - and that’s on Chiyashi, a 12 cost Jinteki barrier. Every other ETR subroutine has additional features - “ETR if the runner is tagged,” “Gain 2 and ETR,” “Do a brain damage or ETR.”

Conclusion: Damon really doesn’t like Endless Hunger.

21 Likes

Pretty sure he just hates ETR because it isn’t very interesting. And I quote, “End the Run is a crutch.”

I think there is just a ton of ICE that already ends the run. There isn’t really anything new to be done, design wise, with ‘end the run’.

Problem is, if card power level is ramping (and, lets be real, this cycle might as well have been named “Ramp Up”), and ETRs are getting left in the dust, then EH becomes significantly worse.

This in and of itself wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t one of only eight cards that Apex has in his kit.

2 Likes

I think the future for Apex is importing the conspiracy breakers and/or Faust, in the manner of the current DotW . I’m not sure what makes that “good” in the current meta however, other than the fact he can apocalypse three times in faction.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been playing a very similar deck to the dotw locally (though admittedly missed out on spy camera; a grave omission!), and having good success with it. Reaver gives him an awesome engine, potentially much better then similar shaper engines.

It’s a little weird because I feel like Apex is at odds with himself; all his cards are dealing with trashing, sure, but half of his suite is dedicated to setting up an engine, and then apocalypse tears it all down.

I only run 2x apocalypse in my version, and have considered going to 1x. Setting up the engine is paramount, then wipe the board with a 17 card hand Faust apocalypse for the win in the late game.

2 Likes

In addition to the shaper builds with reaver, I’ve started messing with it in Geist and it’s completely bananas. Trashing sports hopper for 5 cards + tech trader credits is ridiculous.

At first I thought the 4 inf on Reaver was way high, but in retrospect it’s probably a good thing.

6 Likes

Oh gosh, sure, trace me.

From talking with @PaxCecilia, outside of Aryabhata, phage also works pretty decently with Slee. That’s a lot of subs to let fire for such a cheap rez cost.

Going for the Slee + Aryabhata import into Gagarin dream. Also grab Stinson to load up on your sweet Gagarin event economy when they inevitably trash all of the preceding.

A solid tier 3.5 deck.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Reaver is a powerful piece that lets you do all sorts of weird stuff.

I am trying it in a connection build using off campus, fall guy and peddler. You get some really delicious draw off of this!