Flashpoint Cycle!

If they’re being faithful to the gameplay, Andy’s storyline will just end with her rebirthing into Gabe or Leela

3 Likes

Because creating new cards would force existing players to rebuy their Cores, which would be pretty unpopular.

I take the point about support cards, but Reina doesn’t have to use the Caissa breakers. She’d do OK with the existing core breakers, although Grimoire wouldn’t be terribly useful and they might want to find room for Xanadu. Null actually slots in more neatly as his ability directly complements the fixed breakers in the core set, so he’d be a better fit if not for the fact that he’s from a very new cycle. It’s interesting that he was printed with no console or obvious support cards of any kind, though.

1 Like

i don’t think we’ve seen the card damon was talking about that an exec went over his head and buffed . he said it combos with Null especially.

1 Like

Are we sure that wasn’t paperclip? That thing is pretty rigged, and if it had been tuned to be worse than corroder sometime it would synergise with him but not completely replace corroder.

i don’t think it works especially well with nulls ability. at some point the strength doesn’t matter and you’re just paying for subs. against eli, null saves you 1 credit with paper clip, 2 with corroder

as @tko89 said, it’s supposed to work specifically for Null

you can’t trash Paperclip from your grip for Null’s ability and immediately install it using its ability, for example, so there’s no real synergy there, plus there’s Black Orchestra (and presumably another breaker for sentries), so it’s not unique in its ‘synergy’ with Null

i’m actually wondering if we’ll see a bonkers console for him

1 Like

“The first time you trash a card through a card ability, you may play it instead, paying all costs.”

5 Likes

I think thematically at least Paperclip and Black Orchestra are meant to be for Omar, since they’re both names of conspiracies / covert operations from the Second World War. (Paperclip was the American project to grab the V2 rocket scientists from Germany and shield them from war-crimes prosecutions; Black Orchestra was an internal Gestapo name for a conspiracy against Hitler).

There’s Nfr, which maybe is supposed to be a Null breaker. I admit I forgot about it because it’s really not very good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nfr would probably be better if we actually saw more than gear check barriers in the meta right now.

But until some monster ice drops or a new build out of the new HB comes out, only Blue Sun runs any large barriers.

1 Like

Haha, I despise hearing this crap about NFR not being good. NFR is insanely good, until it gets bounced or trashed. It single handedly beats quicksand, it makes advancing ice walk your only out, which makes the corp lose, and once you get it going, it makes Eli break for 2. It’s just not as universally good as paperclip, buy it’s not bad by any means. Let’s stay away from groupthink knee jerk reactions, there’s a whole mess of strategies that card messes up, to say it’s not good invalidates those strategies.

2 Likes

I tend to agree actually, it’s pretty solid and does good work in Null. After a little while it turns off a good chunk of ICE. It just happened to be next to Paperclip which overshadowed it.

3 Likes

i think that said, Nfr is still not likely the card Damon mentioned

it is arguably strong or crap, but definitely not overpowered.

1 Like

I have never once wished I had a card to beat quicksand, and similarly have never once thought that quicksand was an acceptable card to play. If I encounter Quicksand, I almost never break it more than twice over the course of a game.

4 Likes

NFR is good for what it does - break barriers multiple times efficiently. It’s just not needed in the current meta, or maybe ever.

They could always release barriers that matter, that are competitively costed and taxing.

They seem to be doing that with Code Gates this cycle.

11 Likes

I would like to see a series of barriers with effects that trigger when their ETR subroutines fire. This would make runners fear barriers as well as give Corps a tool against Turning Wheel abuse.

Perhaps when their sub(s) fire the Corp can spend a credit for an additional effect.

3 Likes

This could be barrier’s thing.

On encounter effects are not really a barrier thing, so I like the idea of making them something else.

They could dig into the design space on bailiff - giving barriers effects that trigger when their subroutines are broken rather than on-encounter or punishing subroutines in general, On-rez effects would be another space that could be explored whilst still keeping barriers focused on ETRs.

6 Likes

I think this was also the intent behind advanceable barriers in Weyland or NEXT ice… the idea that barriers’ stopping power scales throughout the game, presumably as the runner’s board state grows. Ultimately these come at a cosf to the corp, either an advancement or a deck slot or some other resource…

Riffing on your Bailiff theme, what about a Beth-style barrier: “if the runner has 5-9 credits, end the run; if the runner has 10-14 credits, end the run and gain 2, if the runner has 15+ credits, end the run, gain 2, and put an advancement token on another piece of ice.”

3 Likes

Intervention spoilers. Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place.

http://imgur.com/a/2eEP2

8 Likes