Flatline Jinteki

hi

jinteki: personal evolution is always treated like a toy. its not a real deck, is it? id like to start a conversation about this identity. do you think it’s tournament ready? what j:pe is missing to be a regionals top finisher? even if it’s not tier 1, what would u consider the top build at the moment? how different it is to play j:pe in terms of bluffing/strategy? do u look for some player’s tells and exploit them as jinteki?

please share your decks and experiences.

here is something im trying lately, i took some random netrunnerdb deck i liked and tweaked a little to my taste (no link to original, im sorry :)). after playing it for a while i consider dropping neural katana as it’s a unnecessary mimic magnet (3rd komainu instead). himitsu bako go on hq and is usually rezzed when siphon is about to hit, komainu is there for quick scoring remotes, rest small ice goes on r&d. i never install shock/snare unless i know he will run, they better serve for hand protection. i like medical breakthrough more than braintrust, as they usually steal some agendas anyway and that last MB can be scored from hand for a win which is great :smile:

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x Fetal AI (Trace Amount)
3x House of Knives (Honor and Profit)
3x Medical Breakthrough (Honor and Profit)
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)
1x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (11)
1x Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control) ••
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
3x Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit)
3x Shock! (True Colors)
1x Snare! (Core Set)

Operation (13)
3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
2x Cerebral Cast (Honor and Profit)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ••••• •••
1x SEA Source (Core Set) ••
2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)

Barrier (2)
2x Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves)

Code Gate (5)
1x Chum (Core Set)
2x Inazuma (Honor and Profit)
2x Yagura (Fear and Loathing)

Sentry (7)
2x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
1x Neural Katana (Core Set)
2x Pup (Honor and Profit)
1x Shinobi (Double Time)
1x Susanoo-No-Mikoto (Honor and Profit)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

regards

1 Like

From my perspective Jinteki is not a toy for about last 2-3 months.

1 Like

I don’t know if you have enough creds for SEA. It’s a nice backup. Don’t sleep on Tori Hanzo, which combos extremely well with Knives and Data Mines. I don’t believe you have enough ICE for 3 supporters in Chum and Inazuma. Finally, running Trick of Light as a FA backup plan is good in JinPE.

It’s a nice start. JinPE just won the Boston Regional, IIRC. No decklist yet.

I’ve been tinkering with a Mushin no Shin PE list. I might Mushin no Shin a Future Perfect, a Cerebral Overwriter, a Junebug, a House of Knives, or even a Snare. It packs Tori Hanzo to combine with House of Knives, but there isn’t room for Hokusai on top of that.

I agree with @spags that credits are a significant problem with your current list. I also don’t think PE really needs Jackson, although that becomes more debatable when we add The Future Perfect.

1 Like

The major trap of your train of though is the idea that you need to “bluff” to play Jinteki, when what you really want them to do is pick between two lose/lose options and without the proper intel to make an informed decision.

The other major leverage you have is that the runner has to know what the minimum hand size they can access with is. If they are running a remote, let’s say it’s unadvanced, so it could be a snare. They have to be able to take 3 damage to safely access. But you have House of Knives Scored, so now they have to be able to survive 4 damage. You put a data mine down as the ICE there, now they have to take 5 damage to not risk a flatline. Look at the value of a single brain damage out of PE, all of a sudden every single run anywhere risks flatline to Snare! or Fetal AI

2 Likes

I was at Boston Regional and got flatlined out of winners bracket by Chris Hinkes’s PE list, who went on to take 1st. I don’t think he posts here, but Apreche will be posting videos on Youtube in the next couple days showing him slaughtering me and probably others.

Everyone’s probably seen videos of people playing at the top tables 12 hours in, like a bunch of zombies making elementary play errors. That’s the best environment possible for a PE deck. For example, I normally install Plascrete against PE but I just totally forgot and it killed me.

He solves the economy problem with 3x Gila Hands Arcology, which are easy to score when you put down 2-3 unadvanced remotes on a turn and they give you money for the rest of the game. Mushin is also pseudo-economy and he has a low ICE count so there’s less expenditure there.

I’m still not sold that it’s Tier 1 but I definitely want to test it some more and see. My hunch is that he won through exceptional piloting rather than an exceptional list and that I won’t be able to replicate his success with it.

3 Likes

hostile infrastructure is going to be insane in this type of deck. venting money against siphon is often hard for jinteki to do and if the runner gets good siphons they can keep the sure gambles and other econ cards as hand padding.

Hostile is a good card but what do you cut for it? Deck space is at even more of a premium than usual when you want to run a bunch of 1pt agendas and ambushes.

I’d rather use slots that I already have to vent - like cut other econ for Private Contracts or rely on unrezzed HQ ICE.

The inherent problem with venting though is the risk of dropping too low to fire ambushes and allowing them to safely check your remotes for the rest of the turn. If Corp is at $0 then the worst that can happen is Fetal AI.

Maybe it’s better to just float $8+ and eat the Siphon so that you can fire ambushes and punish tags if they keep them?

do u know where boston regionals decks can be found? looks like they were not posted :frowning:

I do. If he doesn’t post them by the time of the last US Regional (I think Philly on the 19th), I’ll post them here.

Both of his decks are unorthodox and benefit from the surprise factor and opponent lack of preparation. Forewarning his opponents would definitely reduce his chances at any remaining Regionals.

I’m actually curious now how many Regionals have not been collected by Stimhack and whether this significantly biases the reported stats towards conventional decks that people don’t mind revealing.

I haven’t seen Jeremy Zwirn’s lists from the MN Regionals. He was playing Fastrobiotics and VoicePAD Kate, but I don’t know the exact lists. When I played him yesterday he was playing Red Coats and VoicePAD Kate. He was running Suckers and Kati in Kate, along with the usual suspects.

I think we collect the bulk of them, albeit sometimes with delay.

Here is a a Jinteki PE deck I have been testing for quite some time. It is the strongest PE build I have made. It has 2 paths to victory with Flatline and ToL FA wins. Feel free to check out my full explanation of the deck here: Video

Here is the deck:

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x Fetal AI (Trace Amount)
3x House of Knives (Honor and Profit)
3x Medical Breakthrough (Honor and Profit)
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)
1x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (12)
3x Snare! (Core Set)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
3x Shock! (True Colors)
3x Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit)

Upgrade (6)
3x Hokusai Grid (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Tori Hanzō (Honor and Profit)

Operation (10)
2x Archived Memories (Core Set) ••••
1x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ••••
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Trick of Light (Trace Amount)
1x Medical Research Fundraiser (Honor and Profit)

Barrier (2)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set) ••

Code Gate (3)
3x Yagura (Fear and Loathing)

Sentry (2)
2x Shadow (Core Set) ••

ICE (3)
3x Data Mine (Core Set)

4 Likes

At least in the USA it’s easy to find out because we know the full list of tournaments.

In Poland there were 5 Regionals and there won’t be any more. The one in Bydgoszcz is not in the database. I’ll try to get the deck.

Chris H.'s regionals winning Jinteki - http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/CzQbj3WNJJaQxRBGW/
Take a look at those games, 100% flatlines if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

People cannot deal with the Brain, AT all.

What an odd deck. Cool that he flatlined everyone.

he actually won by agendas against apreche. its one of the earlier videos in apreche’s series of boston regional vids. its pure shell game stuff ie fetal that had been seeing around all game + a mushin no shin’d philotic for 4 points in one turn.

Perhaps the EV of expose effects is getting closer to their opportunity cost.

Yeah, Silhouette would kill this deck. Add Security Testing on HQ and the game would be over! :stuck_out_tongue: