From good to great

When your regional meta includes @aandries, @spags, @Nordrunner, @Paranoid, @wasau, etc… getting third or almost making cut feels wonderful. But there’s that ceiling there all of the time. I know I’m at the ceiling of the lower camp; I also know I don’t try that hard to be in the upper camp. I like what I do and am good enough at that; Am not trying to win so much as a have a good time and see how far I can make it on my own steam. The next logical step would be to play at all hours of the day, actually play good decks (because I don’t), and maybe actually ask @spags and whoever for advice since their so close.

Typically, I just try to find value myself. See why things are working the way they are, try and figure out the why behind all of it. Love this game because its a puzzle not because I want to solve puzzles in record time with a perfect record. And so I often play with crappy puzzle pieces, trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Occasionally that works out to let me sweep into 4th place, more often I’m in the mid range at high level events.

So, I feel like I’m the opposite of you. I got the fundamentals. I got the engineering skills; but I’m totally not a pilot. I’m awful at running typically. And the good players, @spags, @mediohxcore, @mtgred and all the rest. They’re either excellent pilots who are making the right meta call or they’re that rare hybrid of pilot and engineer that figures out not only what to take, but how and why.

I hate to say it, but the way you get from good to great is just by having the capacity for greatness. I might have several of the skills/feats that they have, but I lack the focus, determination, and capacity to give a fuck. You might have those skills and not have my ability to read the meta. And you might have both and really have no idea how to make those next level moves in-game or in-deck construction.

@nordrunner said something to me once that was actually kind of cool. Netrunner is like meteorology. The better you can model the direction of too many pieces moving together to create “fronts” the better you’ll be at netrunner. That’s not exactly what he said, but he’s right. The more you can hold in your noggin, understand, and process into actionable moves the better you’ll be at this game. Some of us will be limited and not able to get there.

So my advice:

1. Run, like with sneakers and a road, more often
  2. Eat more fish.

Both of these things will help your brain function.

10 Likes

If your getting nervous try doing something I know many Starcraft and mtg pros do. Simulate your practice set up and pregame rituals when you go to a tournament. Make these close to each other. It could be even something like listening to a specific song before every match and every practice match or doing a specific breathing exercise. Make yourself feel like your playing at home.

This could help you become more relaxed and comfortable or it could totally do nothing for you. It might be worth a shot though. Taking a moment for yourself Inbetween rounds is important.

I expect to give up a game here or there. If you get flooded g1 and lose quickly, slow down. It’s just one game . Especially if it’s Swiss, your goal is to make the cut(prefer top seeds but it’s fine). After cut everything gets reset anyways.

I almost invariably have a drink with a few shots of espresso before any tourney, but I’m a coffee addict, and I’m sure that wears off by the end of round 2.

So, don’t do that.

7 Likes

Or #420BlazeIt. Or stims.

2 Likes

I’m all but certain that being a long distance runner is the main reason that I’ve had Netrunner success. It’s certainly the only explanation that I have for beating people who are much smarter than me

4 Likes

Is there a car bomb style drink with espresso instead of liquor dropped into some beer? That’s gotta be the way to go.

4 Likes

I’m drinking outside of my work after I got off an hour ago I’m developing this drink right now.

2 Likes

Reminding me of one of my fave songs by one of my fave bands.

Shot glass of espresso dropped into a coffee stout, with a hint of Bailey’s.

3 Likes

Same, but if i could giggle while I played my deck which is constantly described as ‘annoying’ when putting as nicely as possible… i just imagine i would amplify the effect haha

1 Like

I do the same thing but liquor and beer, not coffee and espresso.

1 Like

thats part of the plan personally. gotta kill that dead time somehow!

It’s founders breakfast stout, espresso, and just a touch of chocolate sauce so far. You can only try so many versions in a day.

3 Likes

At least 8 tries daily.

1 Like

I only got 3 hours of sleep and I went to work at 6am and I’ve done 4 so far I can’t

But let me remind everyone I’ve top 16’d worlds twice and won other shit and yeah yadda yadda but drinking during the tournament is vital. First round jitters have nothing on the first three rounds pints.

6 Likes

so shots of 151 for every agenda stolen? yay? nay? just right?

(sarcasm full engage)

100% correct. I was on full tilt after @aandries swept me round 1 at Worlds 2013, a beer or two later, we were both in top 4.

3 Likes

Performance enhancing drugs. Better living through chemistry.

3 Likes

PE too imba. My current formula is 1 beer for every round you lose, 1 beer for every round you sweep. Slow down if you split, because you’re gonna be paired against the weirdo decks of you start splitting.

2 Likes

This plan seems to ensure that you eventually split, then you will be in the mindset to just have a great time vs that one guy who brought 18 agenda Medtech.

Seems legit

1 Like

I saw a guy running custom biotics at regionals last year. My heart was like man what if he’s got something?? Then round 5 I was going out for a fresh air break and saw him on the back table. #Solideronbro