Gagarin Appreciation Thread

My feeling from deck building is Gagarin gives you the cleanest engine, but the worst ways to convert the engine to a win. Jinteki has either net damage or psi defense to convert engine to win, and EtF has Ash + Biotic/efficiency committee shenanigans + laskhmi smart fabrics (LSF + Mandatory upgrades seems particularly cute :D). I’m worried that the Gagarin shell just doesn’t have enough win conditions to convert our engine to win%…

2 Likes

I can’t see 1x heritage not being worth the 2 influence in any deck with MCH tbh. Draw 3 cards that you’re happy with + rework a card, all for 1 cred 1 click no card is just too strong an option to pass up having it available when needed imho.

Not saying it’s not helpful. I’m only saying it’s influence where Gagarin usually doesn’t have influence. With Tech/Boot/MCH/Jackson/Museum, do you NEED more draw/tutoring? That’s all I’m saying. I would definitely try to reach Alliance status for Jinteki if you’re going that way.

With MCH the mid-game arrives on turn 3 or 4. Diversified for 5-7 is easy when you spam assets so quickly. With that said, I could be mistaken, it’s possible that PAD Campaign is the way to go; I want to see whether 3x Temple, 2x Diversified, and MCH are enough.

No such thing :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m undecided. Going to try Committee instead of 2x DBS. See what happens.

We’ve done some testing with Jeeves. It’s very strong and makes the deck significantly faster. I suspect 2x once Salsette Island is out; personally I’m going to try to Alliance it with TS and Viper.

3 Likes

Very excited for Jeeves. @Jai may have convinced me to go with Heritage Committee. The fact that with MCH you shuffle away the card you put back is quite powerful. So many pathways. So little time!

1 Like

From Passive Aggressive Memo Megathread:

Reasons I like Contract Killer:

• Kills Film Critic, Kati, and Aesop’s. There’s a few other important to kill Connections that are good, too.
  • Occasionally kills fools that end a turn on 1 card in hand. Like after a big Faust turn or something. (This happens very rarely in tournaments/against capable opponents.)
  • Lets me bluff a GFI or NAPD. Too often the Runner can realize they only need to get into my scoring server one more time, and given enough money they can definitely do that… But if I can fake an Agenda and get them to waste their effort, I can follow up with the real thing shortly after. I could use GRNDL Refinery for this purpose, but I’ve found I don’t need money that badly, and Refinery doesn’t do the other two things.

I’ve been very surprised at him, given that he was a sort of whimsical ‘Eh, let’s try this out’ that I made the night before the tournament when looking for things to replace The Root/Turtlebacks. Best use of him during the tournament was killing Hayley’s Aesop’s Pawnshop on turn 3, right after she’d found it and installed a Cache.

2 Likes

To clarify, this is how Heritage Committee works with MCH:

1. You click MCH
  2. You look at the top three cards of your deck
  3. You choose whether to play Heritage Committee (and draw these cards) or do something else
  4. You shuffle your deck

That’s pretty neat. As a bare minimum, it turns MCH into click: look at the top three cards of your deck, you may pay 1c to draw them. Reshuffle your deck.

3 Likes

This makes no sense to me. You click MCH to play Heritage Committee means you have to play Heritage Committee (pay 1 draw 3 cards, put 1 back). How is it that you can look at the top three cards before you commit to playing Heritage Committee? Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Click: Search R&D for an alliance card, reveal it, and play or install it (paying all costs). Shuffle R&D.

So first, you search your deck for an alliance card. While you’re searching, you will see the top 3 cards of your deck. Then, you find the alliance card, reveal it, and play/install it. After the card has been played/installed, you shuffle R&D.

It’s not like you have to declare the card you are searching for before you look through your deck. You don’t have to do that SMC, and you don’t have to do it here.

1 Like

Exactly, and HC lets you put any card (read: agenda) you don’t want back into your deck, then you shuffle it away with the resolution of MCH! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[edit: sorry, I just got a bit too happy all of a sudden…]

I’m going to have to jump on the Contract Killer train: with CK and Mills, you have pretty good coverage of resource trashing. The fact the CK kills Proco is really big, IMO; it’s probably a bigger tempo swing than Mills trashing Wyldside.

Also, after a few games, I can confirm that City Hall into Heritage Committee is the actual nuts. It’s amazing odds to find whatever cards you’re missing at the moment, be it econ/Crisiums/agendas.

1 Like

Exciting time to be playing Gagarin!

3 Likes

Yeah this is why I was so surprised you were like “meh seems ok, personal preference…”. It’s just nuts nuts :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah, it took me a while to evaluate it. I rescind my concerns!

It’s pretty subtle just how strong the interaction is. Face value of using MCH for a normal heritage committee is meh because face value heritage committee is bad–but MCH with the option to heritage committee when top 3 are good with the third card reshuffled instead of put on R&D is so much stronger. I’m really surprised/sad that MCH is only 1 influence, otherwise I think Weyland would be able to get back to king on its back–but at 1 influence I suspect the alliance engine just gets ported.

Edit: Maybe we’ll be back here in the future when MWL makes porting the shell impossible so we’re stuck with Weyland for it. Hello future!

1 Like

Here is hoping that the Weyland alliance event is competitive and not complete garbage.

I do agree, the engine will likely be easier to import than to grab other factions good stuff.

I mean, aside from NBN’s alliance stuff. The alliance restrictions are pretty easy to meet for NBN in pretty much every competitive deck.

Hey, you know the old adage… ‘This Weyland card is 1 influence, it must be good!’

In all seriousness though, I’m more interested in expanding the Jinteki alliance after Salsette Island, rather than jumping ship to Jeeves or Salem. It’s going to be difficult to squeeze both the Jinteki alliance and a singleton Jeeves in the deck, but I think it can be worked around. Something like this:

3 Turtlebacks
1 Hostile Infrastructure
1 Swordsman
1 Lotus Field
(7)
1 Heritage Committee
1 Raman Rai

1 Jeeves Model Bioroids
(3)

2 DBS
1 Jackson (!!)
(3)

2 NAPD
(2)
3 Museum
3 Temple
2 Mumbad Virtual Tour

That’s effectively a 36 influence deck, which is very exciting! I’m more comfortable with going to 1 Jackson and 0 defensive upgrades purely due to the redundancy that Raman Rai offers in terms of regrowing cards from Archives. Remember: with DBS/HT, you’re looking at 5 cards from R&D per turn, and Raman Rai lets you convert that into any card of the same type from Archives as well. Imagine regrowing Crisiums every turn against Criminal, or CVS against Noise (remember, MVT is an upgrade, so it’s swappable as well!)

Jeeves lets you NA NAPDs, which is a big plus and is why I’ve gone with them over GFIs. Overadvancing Atlases is definitely a thing as well. MVT punishes runners who try to deny the NA plan by trashing Jeeves, and is a fine install on R&D as well.

Quick update: I’ve played a few games with MCH/Heritage Committee yesterday. A few notes. First, the interaction is strong, providing both draw and filtering. Over four games I used one Jackson for rescuing agendas (and that was a game where I drew six agendas over four or five turns). Here’s a problem, though: it’s very slow, mechanically. Shuffling Museum, mandatory draw, then Heritage Committee + shuffle takes a chunk of time. I did not keep a stop watch but I estimate that Heritage Committee alone accounts for 5-7 minutes of game time, per game. Also, some/most players will not be aware of the interaction, which means another 2-3 minutes explaining it to them. This is an amount of time that I simply cannot afford in Museum Gagarin.

Mechanically, I would want to get more testing to decide whether Heritage is superior to DBS. If I’m playing in a Jinteki.net tournament for example, I suspect that Heritage Committee will be great. Unfortunately, given the time limit in real life events (especially the brutal 35m in elimination) I don’t think that it’s a relevant combination in a Gagarin score deck.

2 Likes

I only minutes ago posted something similar in the Seattle Netrunner group. This is a serious concern if players are considering going with MCG + Heritage. I like the interaction, generally speaking, and it’s strong, but it’s not a replacement for DBS, at all. It also tended to miss what I wanted (Diversified) more than hit what I wanted. If I was going to offer advice to players picking up MCH and wanting to do some sweet Heritage play in tournaments, it would be “don’t do it”. It’s not worth the time you will spend using it, and you will simply go to time. My games with Heritage + MCH would have easily gone to time, and I play fast.

On a related note: I was not altogether happy with MCH–the extra shuffling aside. Maybe playing a singleton is fine in a deck like Hidden Temple, so you can Jackson trashed Temples/Museums back then sneak them back onto the table really fast, but I felt horrible having all 3. They were taking up valuable slots, and they don’t help you win the game. Unless you have a deck that is built around MCH getting Museum and Temple online right away (and certainly they get better with the upcoming sets!), you can probably just draw into Museum/Temple normally during the course of the game.

What I see most players saying when evaluating the card is that it’s powerful because it’s an insane tutor for stuff. MCH is, no doubt, powerful for what it does. The trouble is, the faster you tutor out your stuff, the more vulnerable R&D becomes to Maker’s Eye + R&D Interface. And if there are no Turtlebacks on the board, MCH feels much less like value.

TL;DR
I would not play Heritage Committee + MCH in a tournament setting, and only with friends who don’t mind the slower pace.
Claims that Temple decks are too rich, and need less credits, have no grounding in reality.
Heritage is, in no way, a reasonable substitute for Daily Business Show.

[Edit: just to clarify, I had only a handful of games with it yesterday, so take these as they are: my opinions, not facts]

2 Likes

Did you play 2x Diversified + 3x Temple for Economy only? And if yes, is it enough to reliably fuel the deck?