Gagarin Appreciation Thread

Would you recommend shoving Muba Temple in this sort of build? It doesn’t really need more economy, but synergy… And there are a lot of 2 Rez assets as well as Tour Guide.

I certainly like it in my build, but I can’t speak for @IirionClaus’s. His is lighter on ICE and heavier on assets. I almost want to run something closer to his build, but I like Ash so much that I’m loath to drop it, and since I’m on the Ash plan, I feel like I need a little more ICE for the tax plan. I should probably just test his exact build for a while and see how I like it and how it plays compared to mine.

I would love to find room for Mumba Temple, just not sure what to remove for it … Even one or two copies could be nice, an early-game economic nudge.

The problem I’m finding is every time I play The Mundane Goddess deck I would rather be playing this.

I’m personally not impressed with it. Museum/Mumba NEH is really fun to play but a smart runner can absolutely tear it apart, especially Whizzard/Val. Kill Sansans, leave everything else, hit R&D/HQ until the game ends.

Thats what happens to me with Gagarin, but I lose faster because I have Government Takeover in my deck.

2 Likes

I’m posting this deck because i’m seeing a crazy amount of success with it rolling around on jinteki. I know that’s not quite a competitive environment, but the deck isn’t optimal yet and I’m seeing some pretty stellar results and could use some help with tweaks.

The deck basically generates insane advantage, to the point that it’s very hard for even wizzard players to trash everything. It fights the faust machine by having very taxing servers which are hard to run, and ash who requires you to run them twice if you have the econ advantage (I’ve almost never not had the econ advantage, even against the current wizzard).

Something like pop up/icewall protecting a pad + expo is going to net you 2 credits a turn and cost between 6-10 to clear and 2/3 credits + 3 clicks to set up. If it’s actually pop up blocking the server with paywall up (optimal but not unreasonable) the net credit swing in your favor if they clear the whole thing is 7-11. Anything beyond that is gravy and usually quite easy to set up.

Once you get paywall out you can just bluff agendas for days while dropping team sponsorship naked and throwing launch/pad/public sympathy in your scoring server to waste resources and clicks (i’ll even play public naked and recur it with interns). I routinely get +5 or more (much, much, more) out of my paywalls.

Corp town hitting wyldeside, especially just AFTER a baited run with any sort of code gate protection can be hell for an anarch to deal with and basically shut them down. This is probably stronger than it should be right now because no one knows the deck, so they ditch their extra wyldesides early, and then have to either fire levy super early on or draw through their deck like madmen with clicks and IHW if I get it off.

My main issue is that it feels VERY heavy on econ. My last game with a leela had me floating 40 credits at times, and that’s with basically all my ice rezzed. The only output for that is ash given that cadecous is likely never going to fire more than once.

I’d like to find room for a little more ice (another spiderweb and then something else…not sure what), a second cyberdex, and then possibly drop a pop up for an ice wall/quandry, and put in junebug. Weylands don’t run traps, this has a ton of econ, and faust being card heavy is hell, especially given lots of multi subroutine ice. A lot of players pay to install carapace and start dropping IHW to dig their deck, and I think june might just be the perfect game ender.

Any thoughts or ideas? Heck I’d like if someone who’s a little better could just give it a shot and see how it stands up in stronger play. I think there’s merit here.

Isn’t this the same as Saan’s deck pre MWL pretty much?

Shouldn’t this be in the Gagarin thread?

Not that I wouldn’t love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

So it seems like you basically took my exact deck, took out 2 ICE, and replaced them with Paywall. Honestly, I don’t like Paywall in this deck; it discourages runners from running your remotes, which is the only way Gagarin gets any value.

Also, drop the Pop-ups, and throw back a couple NAPDs. They’re generally better than Oaktown in this deck, bonkers as that may seem. The Expo Grids are probably better as Mumba Temple, since Expo needs an asset on it, and Mumba can rez something almost every turn.

Haven’t tried Junebug, you’ll have to let me know how it works out! It seems like if you install and start advancing something the runner can actually get, they’ll probably sniff out a trap, and if they can’t get it, an agenda is probably better, but hey, it might work out none-the-less.

I’ve added additional commentary to the decklist you posted on Netrunnerdb, but I’ve more or less said it before here, so I won’t repeat it.

1 Like

You claim this deck is good vs whizzard, but I have no idea how. Whizz is going beyond remote lock and into ‘what remote?’. Against this deck I would just blow up any attempt at a remote and try to kill the R&D ice. I don’t see how you’re scoring multiple times.

1 Like

Honestly, as the person who basically built this deck, it’s not super great vs Whizz, and I can’t imagine that got better by cutting 2 ICE. There are strategies that make the matchup slightly better (the copy of Cyberdex he’s added over The Root is probably a good call), but nothing I’ve tried vs the Dumblefork build makes it actually good. Reg-ass Whizzard I do okay against. But this new shit? No thank you. I’ve turned my sights back to Blue Sun for the time being.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sad about the new one-armed feast Whizzard deck since I’ve basically been refining a Gagarin deck since Universe of Tomorrow and was all set to use it for SC season – but now that deck is everywhere.

I’ve had the exact same experience – I usually beat Whizzard before because my take on the deck has some flexibility to how you can play it, but this new Whizzard is a horrific matchup on multiple fronts.

I’ve also gravitated back toward Blue Sun because it’s the only version of Weyland that can put up a fight against the onslaught of ice destruction.

3 Likes

and

added a new one

Been testing mainly against Whizzard after those few games. (I’ve got a decently favorable matchup against Whizzard, and I was testing against @cspieker, who is a formidable opponent.) If you can get beyond the early stages where you can just lose on R&D, you have probably 80% chance to win (numbers fabricated in a machine). Indexing is pretty brutal against it. Highly recommended as a place to start with the 54 card Temple/History shell.

5 Likes

Nice, I’m totally having a crack at that deck. My building efforts ended up short, probably because I tried to shoehorn a Scorch package in there.

I tried building one with Scorch, but the problem I found is: if you’re going all-in on asset spam, Scorch + tagging are 1) (usually) not assets and 2) influence heavy.

1 Like

I like this a lot. I went with -1 Jackson and -1 dbs to put in two hostile.

I also slotted in two Nebula instead of Assassin and an Orion instead of Hadrian’s.

Considering dropping the root for hate slots.

I think Assassin is way better than Nebula right now, mainly because basically all Anarch decks have 2 D4v1d in them (and x amount of clone chips), and they just walk through Nebula all day. Plus, if you advance it, you advertise exactly what it is (space ice), so they can just wait til they have the d4 to run it. Assassin also falls to d4v1d, but at least it takes 2 counters.

This exactly. I stacked two Assassin on RND against Whizzard and it gave him fits. I installed in front of them the Hadrian’s and he Forked into a whiff because not enough cards and no more Davids. It was sweet.

And if you want to advance stuff, Hadrians lets you do that too (if you’re against Shaper or Criminal only).

Also, the Root has been phenomenal. 2x all the way. I think it wants a second CVS though. I could also see the deck built around Tech Startups: you can trigger Startup, get your thing (probably getting money from Turtles), then shuffle it in with Museum. Kinda cool.

The Hadrian’s is pretty well set then? I think I like the Orion over Hadrians. The install cost is similar enough at +1 counter and it eats 1 more d4v1d counter. It does suffer from triple subtype syndrome though.

I’ll put Assassin back in. I just have never had both subs on the ice actually matter to a Whizzard player. They usually have the creds to beat a trace.

Not that Nebula is better. Its more an experiment I just wanted to try. A single advance makes it almost the same investment as Assassin for a sub you cannot just money through (although you can D4v1D through).

Maybe in another meta.

I like startups in this deck as well as possibly Willow for further faust hate. Might also try x2 Chronos, dropping an Oaktown. I guess I just don’t see the necessity of the Root at x2 when you already are running Mumba Temples. Sure, you won’t get super duper renovation money, but the root can just be such a bastard to rez.

Hadrians isn’t set in stone, I just prefer the non-space ice here, as this has the benefit of being cheaper without investment. The extra sub is nice, though. Will have to experiment. The Root is like Mumba 4-5 and has the added benefit of being a must trash (as the credits are more flexible). What do you propose to put in it’s place? I really like Root so far, but am open to ideas.