Gagarin Appreciation Thread

If I cut the Scorch Package I would definitely spend the inf on Architect.

With Caduceus or Negotiator, doesn’t Weyland have enough of a facecheck punish? It feels wrong paying 2 influence to ‘upgrade’ Caduceus like that.

The parasite immunity is a big deal.

2 Likes

Nah, you don’t need that. I think you need some hives. And maybe some Tsurugi’s. A real deadly facecheck punisher. And it takes 4 to break! Way better than stinky architect.

1 Like

This is sarcasm right?

1 Like

After O&C dropped, I played a (janky) Titan FA/Rush with Space ICE and Trick of Light, and shipment from SanSan was awesome here. It’s a 6-cred burst econ card for your big pieces.
If you want to update it, let me know and I’ll send you the list. :wink:

On topic of your Gagarin: those four 3-pointers are just burning my eyes. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s good on paper, yes, but Gagarin’s main problems imo are remote-lock and losing on RnD. Weyland’s ICE - Curtain Wall aside - is in my opinion not suited for the Glacier plan. It screams rush all the way. Gagarin has a great ability for this, because the ability is sort of like a mini-Ash on your remote. But your agendas do not complement this gameplan at all:

First of all, with only 8 agendas, you probably won’t see them fast enough on average to score early and put pressure. Giving the runner time to set up for running your remote is bad, especially with all the Noise and Kate around. Furthermore, because of the public agendas, you can’t make bluff plays later on. That means that after the early game, your chances of scoring out through the remote become very slim; aside from winning a LOT of Caprice psi-games… So what do you do? Recycle agendas with Jackson to see them getting scored in RnD, which is where the attention of the Runnner will already be, because your ability doesn’t work on centrals…

Sorry if I’m being overly critical, but I think Gagarin has more potential than just hoping to get lucky on psi-games.

2 Likes

I agree, what do you suggest? How is your list shaping up?

Lol, don’t look at me for an actual good list. This was the last Gagarin list I toyed around with: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/295068

As you can see, it has THREE 3-pointers and I absolutely hate them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am trying @TheBigBoy’s list very soon though. That’s what you want to try for this ID, if you ask me. Triple Ash ftw.

Cool XD I’ve been trying with IT Departments, 2 ebc and a bunch of cheap barriers. Having middling luck so far, remote lock is real when you too slow. The hardest thing about this ID at the moment is moving away from Blue Sun. TBH. I think there’s a solid 1.5 build here somewhere.

After messing around with Midseasons for the tag plan, I don’t think it works here. It’s fine in BS because you can ramp off ice, but here Sea Source seems much better. I also think it’s a bit of a never advance ID, because you want guys to run through the same taxing remote 10 times in a game. Well IMO.

Well, you either go slow or you go fast.

If you go slow, you play Pad Campaign. You don’t have anything in faction that can lock things up tight or break the game in your favour if you score (hello Astro/Nisei!), so you need to import Caprice. I don’t see any way around this. If you’re going slow, you’re relying on low agenda density and a lot of drip/Paywall to keep your assets alive. I think Crim eats you for breakfast, but maybe Caprice means the money game is irrelevant?

The other way is to go fast, and make that Gagarin tax count by high impact must-access cards like Public Support, Ash, maybe The Root, and of course agendas. Things like NAPD and maybe Reversed Accounts are key here, but Paywall no longer pulls its weight as you can use a little ice to defend your few, critical assets. I’ve been focused on just favourable money exchanges: Crisium Grid, Caduceus, Ash, Public Support, The Root, Expo Grid. I’m tempted to slam 3 Eli in there, because Ice Wall feels fairly underwhelming against many runners and I feel like I’m more constrained by card slots than influence.

3 Likes

Notable thing, if you want to go fast, you probably want to be packing some Fast Track. Otherwise, about half the time the stars would otherwise align in your favor, you’re stuck drawing for an agenda like a moron. With FT, you can actually pick the right one.

2 Likes

Public Support serves a pretty good function here too, though.

I think Public Support is one of my favourite Weyland cards, regardless of ID choice. 2 credits for 1 point is about as efficient as you can get, and it’s often a good way to make the runner waste money and clicks trashing them. If not? Either you’re 1 point closer to winning or you’ve got perfect Archer (or Corporate Town) fodder.

6 Likes

I think it’s one of the best Weyland cards released in a long, long time.

8 Likes

been having a blast with @whatisthistreachery’s list with public support, team sponsorship, TFIN, and corporate town. virtually every runner out there right now has at least one resource they really don’t want to lose (ppvp Kate being the main notable exception) and being able to spam the Town out with TS and rez it for cheap with public support (only when necessary ofc- most of the time i’m just forcing the runner to spend another 10 credits to re-trash it…). Public support itself is also a great team sponsorship target in gagarin; if they plan to stop you from scoring them without checking unrezzed remotes (more credits, please) they have to keep trashing them over and over every time you score :smiley:

5 Likes

Agreed. Corporate Town has been the item that single handedly wins me games over anything that isn’t pre-paid kate.

I have even protected it with Ash, just so I could shut runners out and force them to run it, opening up a window for me to score. Otherwise it ticks away the whole game and wins it for me.

Its pretty oppressive. I have been very impressed with Gagarin and I look forward to seeing where some testing and possibly a few more solid agendas take us. Is Global Food worth an include perhaps?

1 Like

This used to be the case, but I am not convinced it is still the case. This cycle we were given a few really decent options for Weyland glacier.

Weyland has Hive, Spiderweb, Tour Guide, Fire Wall, Wormhole, and Archer. Hive is decent if you are trying for a heavy agenda build, although probably not more than a two of. Spiderweb is almost as taxing as Eli, if slightly more parasite prone. Tour Guide has been pretty phenomenal in my testing thus far, especially as I am not seeing many switchblades at the moment. It has a similar hard tax to pup typically (2 credits). Fire Wall is fine and usually worth the 5 credit cost and Archer is more playable than ever right now out of Weyland.

I think we are really only about one piece of ice away from Weyland having a viable glacier build… either that or a good upgrade for remotes that isn’t off the grid.

Just remember RP needed two shots in the arm to become the monster that it was, a powerful agenda and solid specialized economy. We have a much more robust econ now with expo grid. We have a few pretty decent agendas, but nothing that is the monster that is Future Perfect yet.

3 Likes

Glad you are having fun with it, I’ve been having some great games myself and will be bringing this to psigames probably!

Corporate Town has been a whole new experience for me and I’m loving it.

My worst matchup I’ve learned is Anarch Faust, like fully dedicated Faust. They use cards to break and usually have just enough to deal with ash or CT.

Hopefully it won’t be too present in big tournaments, Faust seems to vanish when prizes are on the table.

Or run snares.

1 Like

Noise with Faust has been winning a good bit lately. It just won the ANRPC GLC Final, for instance.

2 Likes