Have you heard the rumors? A Rumor Mill thread

Ok, so Rumor Mill is coming. For those who don’t know it, here it is:

Rumor Mill
ANARCH Event: Current
Cost: 1
Influence: 2 ••
This card is not trashed until another current is played or an agenda is scored.
The text box of each unique non-region asset and upgrade is blank.

This card is stupidly, stupidly strong. Let’s run a list of some the important things it stops:

Keegan Lane: Any decks relying on his interaction with Data Raven can safely be run against now.

Museum of History: Oh yeah, this card is unique now, and that means it does absolutely nothing against the Rumor Mill.

Chairman Hiro: Some kill decks like using this man drop honest runners low enough to kill them, but some nasty rumors about him can put an end to that.

Jeeves Model Bioroids: The courteous Jeeves bioroids are unique. Therefore, anyone trying to FA with them are going to have a terrible time…

Ash 2X3ZB9CY: Corps trying to score by out-cashing you? Thinking you have to run through their taxing remote twice? No more!

Marcus Batty: The program-trashing, runner-killing PSIcopath himself can’t stand up to the power of internet trolls.

Caprice Nisei: Responsible for ending more runs than any other card in our game, she finally has a foil. Political Operative helped, but Rumor Mill can end her reign even if she’s placed on HQ.

Jackson Howard: Read that again. Jackson “Our lord and saviour” Howard is unique, and therefore blank. Such a ubiquitous part of our game can now be answered preemptively. No longer can corps use him to filter out of Agenda flood, flee the punishment of Keyhole, or even draw to their own Currents to turn it off.

Basically what I’m saying is that Rumor Mill is the stone cold nutter butters, and I want to make a deck that makes the most of it. This is my first attempt.

Rumors of a monster
Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe

Event (36)
2x Account Siphon ●●●●● ●●●
1x Apocalypse ●●●
3x Blackmail
3x Day Job
3x Deuces Wild ●●●
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
3x Inject
2x Queen’s Gambit
1x Rebirth ●
2x Retrieval Run
2x Rumor Mill
3x Sure Gamble
2x Wanton Destruction

Hardware (2)
2x Sports Hopper

Resource (6)
3x DDoS
3x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (3)
3x Eater

Program (3)
3x Keyhole

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Blood Money
Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

Anybody have any other ideas for the card? Fun brews? More cards it hoses? Strategies it opens up?

2 Likes

Rumor mill, to me, is a win-more card. Blackmail val was already a really strong match-up vs. Glacier, it just makes her better. Poor match-ups won’the see as much use for the card, short of nulling out Jackson. This is mostly anti-glacier, as most of the museum decks have ways to clear it out.

I played ValPocalypse in a recent GNK, and lost 2 games to Jacksons and Battys. Caprice and Ash are the few answers to Blackmail short of Executive Boot Camp, and they’re strong ones. Jackson can tax our Keyholes heavily, and completely neuter a Wanton Destruction. Having a powerful preemptive answer to them all seems well worth it.

I seriously, wholeheartedly, disagree.

What does Caprice/Ash glacier do against Blackmail + Rumor Mill?

Say they get some ice rezzed: Sandburg is blank too.

Lizzie Mills is blank.

But Jackson Howard. Jackson mf’ing Howard. Get ready to only be saved some of the time.

Dead Assets

Dead Upgrades

9 Likes

This is Rumor Control. Here are the Facts:

This card will quite possibly kill glacier as we know it. Ash, Caprice and Batty are no longer a reliable defense. Strongbox and Red Herrings won’t magically become better cards just because Rumor Mill exists, and either of them loses against Film Critic anyway. Troubleshooter might see some play, but I doubt D4v1d will be rare enough for that to really work.

Maybe glacier decks can find the slots to include enough advanceable traps/assets and currents of their own in order to bait the Rumor Mill and overwrite it, but I remain doubtful, especially in the face of runner event recursion.

I think this is hyperbolic. It will counter Glacier as much as Plascrete has countered Scorched Earth. People still have to play it and draw it, and keep it in play.

4 Likes

I think it will kill splashing caprice and ash out of faction - Anarchs will have an easier time getting their Rumor Mills than HB glacier will have its 1 or 2 Caprice. Jinteki Glacier with being able to play 3 Caprice (and having a decent current in Cerebral Statics) may be fine?

Especially as playing Rumor Mill means they can’t Employee Strike

The problem is counterplay- you slap down an agenda (especially in Jinteki with basically nonexistent fast advance and reliance on 4/2 agendas) they play their card and sail right past Caprice. Then you recover your defensive upgrades, put out another agenda, and then they same old thing. Unless we get an instant-speed dispel for currents glacier is in trouble.

4 Likes

I’m really hoping there is a counter to RM released later, and I bet there will be. After all, it was just a couple of weeks ago when Sandburg Made Glacier Hot Again.

What I’m not liking is this huge serious of momentum shifts in the meta pack to pack. Hopefully, things will chill a bit as these first few packs settle in.

This card is bullshit

8 Likes

Or we can all start to play The News Now Hour (jk).
https://netrunnerdb.com/card_image/06045.png

10 Likes

Play, pay influence for, draw, and protect the News Now Hour

1 Like

In all seriousness, scrubbing the pub will become vital now - dust off your restoring face, witness tampering, expose: like networking they look like they will get their time in the sun

1 Like

Even outside of Blackmail, can Palana/ETF keep a determined runner out of a server without defensive upgrades? That said sacrificing a blanked executive to Restoring Face is thematic at least :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time to play PE Shutdown again ?

Think of Hayley Cam

Maybe not :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s a pretty far inference man. Like:

A: Runners have a current that blanks unique Assets/Upgrades.
D: So we need to remove bad pub?

I mean, removing bad pub is hot, but I’m not sure what B and C are? Shouldn’t the response to "a runner card exists that counters Unique assets/upgrades be something like “pay less of them”, or "play currents of your own, or FA agendas to turn their current off? Jumping to remove bad pub seems kind of hasty.

Removing bad pub turns off blackmail which is the most obvious avenue to use in conjunction with Rumor Mill

It…isn’t though? Like, what does blackmail have to do with blanking assets and upgrades? Surely that works more with ICE, yeah?

1 Like

The best generic counter to blackmail is Ash/Caprice, Rumor Mill hoses Ash and Caprice with no counterplay, therefore you need to be able to counter the blackmail some other way.

Oh I know - more Elizabeth Mi… Oh right. *#$+!