"High-variance decks"

You’ll have to hack into @Zeromus’s desktop PC to get his decklists, he’s keeping them secret as long as possible.

P.S. bring your Feedback Filter unless you want to end up looking like the guy on House of Knives.

4 Likes

The Butcher Shop matchup is definitely not great. Imp HQ like crazy (HQI and Test Run both help) and hope to draw your Plascrete. I’ve considered dropping the HQIs in order to make a room for a 2nd Plascrete (the other slot becomes D4v1d). Definitely I will do that when the Plascretes can be Film Critics instead (shuts off Midseasons and Punitive, laughs at NAPD Contract and TFP. If SEA Source becomes a thing again then Femme or Datasucker could become Utopia Shard).

Maybe I’ll try to stream some games with it this weekend, dunno.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience before Worlds – people reported that they’re crushing NEH AstroBiotics, but our group could never replicate their results using the deck lists we were provided.

My guess is that since RP is popular it is played by a diverse crowd; coupled with the fact that it’s difficult to pilot (definitely harder than AstroBiotics), it’s entirely possible that people are making mistakes and “giving the deck a bad name”, so to speak.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s relative to where they are used to being versus RP.

1 Like

I always found RP considerably easier to play at peak skill level than astrobiotics.

8 Likes

@Xenasis and I argued this to be the case over and over again, but because Astro is so powerful no one believed us.

1 Like

I think RP is harder than some people give it credit for, but NEH is harder to peak with. Still, NEH is way more forgiving of errors, because they usually just involve giving up one more access or seeing one less card or whatever instead of having to deal with a shitty board or not enough money for the whole game as RP.

6 Likes

I’m not sure whether or not this was true a little while back, when NEH felt like easy mode netrunner. I think now clot exists playing NEH is way more interesting and there are loads more interesting deck building decisions to make.

I don’t think playing RP is any easier. You probably have slightly fewer games when the cards come out in the right order and you just win (and those take longer so the runner has more opportunities to take strong probing lines).

1 Like

Yeah Dan put it well. NEH has always had an easier barrier to entry, but a higher skill ceiling. It’s easier to learn but harder to master.

2 Likes

I think the argument is that the skill ceiling on NEH Fastro was higher, even in it’s hayday, because there were many small decisions that could be made in terms of the best move each turn that could lead to better play. However, the deck itself had a much lower bar of entry, because even when played not amazingly, you can easily fall ass-backward into victory because the deck can almost play itself. Basically, the deck had a very wide margin for player skill, and while it could be easy-mode, there was a lot that a player could do as well.

RP, on the other hand, probably has a higher barrier of entry in terms of player skill, because it starts out as just a more complex deck in what it’s trying to do. However, once you figure it out and can play it, there’s less at the extreme high end that a player can do with it in terms of skill. It ends up being less noticeable, though, because the differences at the low end are more exaggerated and easy for the average player to see and say “look, this better person is working a lot harder and getting better results.”

1 Like

I know myself and Ethan (playing Kit) have posted our decks from Top 8 on NetrunnerDB. Not sure about the rest of the folks, probably saving them for Nationals or other Regionals :smile:

I think mastering NEH is less important. The results from playing pretty well and perfectly are probably quite similar.

3 Likes

I think this is more relevant now that Clot is around. Position and timing are much more important than they were a few months ago.

2 Likes

It depends on whether your goal was to do well at a GNK or win a Regional.

2 Likes

@x3r0h0ur I streamed 3 Nasir games - Twitch