How do we make Weyland good?

No; to reliably do more than 2 meat damage you have to run risky/suboptimal agenda suites.

1 Like

Punitive makes you feel like youā€™re not playing a bad version of NBN scorch, though, which I think makes Punitive a popular choice for those that decide, ā€œIā€™m going to play a Weyland deck todayā€.

3 Likes

I think Weyland doesnā€™t necessarily need ambushes, but more advanceable assets that can open scoring windows, or at least improve your board state, if the runner doesnā€™t run them - if he does run, presumably the cost of getting in can open a window. Iā€™m thinking along the lines of Reversed Accounts, or something you can still use during a run, like ExposĆ©.

3 Likes

there is grndl refinery.

I had this exact thought the other day after running both together in Sol for a while. It seems I forgot to save the list I worked out but iā€™d managed to squeeze 3 Architects into Gagarin, tho Titan might be easier influence wise. Itā€™s gotta be worth trying, Patched Architects are amazing.

1 Like

I think that definitely was the case, but unfortunately film critic turns it off even harder than placrete. Itā€™s still underplayed in general though.

Iā€™d add ā€œnot cheap to trashā€ to the requirements. The issue with GRNDL is that itā€™s expensive-ish to use well and easy to trash if they CAN get in cheaply. I agree that something like that would be nice, but Reversed Accounts and Contract Killer are currently better examples because of the costs to trash them. Something along those lines (or an Expose/Thomas Haas thing where you can get benefit on trash without clicks or getting hit) would be a useful alternative option, I think, for rounding out that sort of trap.

My Gagarin has been running 2 Arch 1 Patch from the beginning, but Iā€™ve been wanting to go up to 3 Arch 2 Patch. I really donā€™t want to give up my 2 Wraparound though. Influence is 3 JH 2 Ash 1 TB 2 Wrap 2 Arch. Iā€™ve also been running 1 Refinery cause itā€™s a great target for Arch second sub.

Iā€™m in agreement with this, patchitect is hella stronk. (and you are right, gagarin and titan are the right IDs for this). Much like tagstorm, though, you have to figure out what your win condition is when they decide theyā€™ll just start letting it fire. SSCGs in titan seem like a decent idea , or defensive upgrades like batty/ash in gagarin.

1 Like

Tried some patch stuff on the weekend, and I really like it. Enigma is a great target as well. Datapike was pretty cool. Spiderweb was amazing. Iā€™m currently running 2-of as well. Anything that ends up below D4V1D range but above Mimic, Yog (i.e. 4 str) seemed pretty strong. There are actually a huge number of ice that might be worth considering if you can squeeze in 3 patches.

It also makes you not want to run Blue Sun, which is appealing in its own right.

Negotiator, Search Light and a couple of others like Guard might be interesting. (Probably not but it might be fun to try)

My main problem with Patch is that I often find that itā€™s simply too slow - you have to find the right ice for the right server and wait until the Runner runs into it before youā€™re actually able to use it. In that sense, itā€™s a combo card. That being said, it really does pull its weight when the Anarch breaker suite reigns supreme. Patched Data Ravens basically just read ā€œyouā€™re going to have to go tag-me really soon or avoid this server for the rest of the gameā€.

Also, much as I detest Changeling, it is actually made a whole lot better if you Patch it. Barring the use of D4v1d, 6 Strength Sentries that end the run are a nut-punch to deal with.

3 Likes

what ices outside weyland do you consider best with patch? (outside said ravens and architects)

Iā€™ve done my fair share of Patch shenanigans, and those are consistently the best two.

Patched Architect just wrecks shop, especially in a horizontal deck. One of those on R&D has ended all future runs on R&D in more than a few games in the past.

On the flip side, Patched Data Raven is a real show-stopper for a kill deck.

Potentially Lotus Field as well, though itā€™s meta-dependent - did a lot of work against Net-Ready Yog-ers in the middle of the SanSan cycle. Also, outside of D4v1d, Noise has to throw away 3 cards to Faust to deal with it and Criminal decks with Yog just hate it.

Ichi 1.0 can also be a neat target, particularly if theyā€™ve already installed the Atman-4 or are using Mimic and Datasucker to deal with it. But really, that mostly speaks to how awesome Ichi 1.0 is more than anything else.

1 Like

Public Support seems like a pretty good in-faction target too.

this is a secret side benefit of running patch; just knowing theyā€™re in your deck makes players very reluctant to install atman at all I find. many of my games with patchitect titan come down to ā€œcan the runner win the game with however many d4v1d tokens they can scrounge up.ā€

[quote=ā€œVapo, post:415, topic:5699ā€]
Public Support seems like a pretty good in-faction target too.
[/quote]yes, although it actually gets less good if they just let you keep them in order to go nuts on RnD or something (if you score them, thereā€™s no value in being able to recur themā€¦)

When I tried patching an Architect, it felt really strong!

Then Kate put a Parasite on it and then broke it as normal with Mimic. That didnā€™t feel so good.

on the other hand, that means no parasite on your tour guide!

2 Likes

Also, that means that Kateā€™s (likely) only Parasite is stuck on that Architect for the rest of the game.

this really is exactly why itā€™s so strong. In the scenario you describe Kateā€™s investment to beat patch (a zero - cost in-faction event) is significant (out of faction, requires memory, canā€™t re-use the parasite) for an extremely middling effect (still getting taxed 2 by architect as normal). Lord forbid you ever got a cvs installed on that server, in which case sheā€™ll have to let it trigger if she ever wants inā€¦

3 Likes

I donā€™t know; it felt like Iā€™d done a ton of work in credits and influence and cards, and it was nullified pretty quickly when it mattered (to make that powerful run).

For the same influence and an extra credit (and one less card slot), Ichi 1.0 seemed a better include.