How do we make Weyland good?

I think an in-faction ambush would be an interesting tweak to the “everything advanced in a Weyland remote is an agenda” situation.

Maybe something like an advanceable ambush that says: “When accessed Trace[x] - If successful, for each point by which your trace value exceeds the Runner’s link the Runner chooses to take one tag or suffer one meat damage. X is equal to the advancement counters on this card.”

(High influence so it’s not simply better in NBN!)

1 Like

Honestly, more than a 3/2, another 2/1 would be nice. Currently Weyland needs to run HT to use Archer or Corp Town effectively, but HT reduces the potential tax on offer by the deck. Against Val, that second BP can really be a killer, too.

It’d also be nice if they got a few slices of the pie belonging to other factions, since apparently theirs are free to be taken by others. NBN also gets ice that gives them money, HB will be getting a double Wormhole effect (limited in targeting Bioroids and being on a Bioroid, but much easier to rez all the same and not much of a restriction),

I feel as though a lot of Weyland’s design space has been assuming optimal strength situations for each thing, but not creating a way to make that viable. Most advanceable ice seems built around the notion of AIZ and/or BWBI being things people might actually play, neither of which are true in the least.

Though in honesty, some of this is me being salty about O&C. They got some decent IDs, but those aren’t really their issue, their issue is that all of their IDs are the way they get the main economic advantage in their decks, not the cards in the deck themselves. Other than that, they got largely filler for archetypes no one plays because they’re too weak, it feels like, with no promise of salvation on the horizon. If the cards didn’t seem built around the idea that those archetypes were viable already and didn’t need help, I wouldn’t mind, but…

Well, I think I’ve said it before, but if Patch and Sub Boost were combined into one card to add +2 Str and ETR to an ice (even at the cost of making it a barrier), that might be good enough to see play. Or if Patch added an ETR sub and let you trash anything hosted on the ice, like Parasite, that’d probably see a lot of play and rightly so – lets you make some ice more taxing or give Shadows a meaningful sub if the runner doesn’t care about tags.

Honestly, more ways to punish tags other than meat damage would be nice, too. Something that lets you trash a piece of Hardware, say, or a program – even if they gave the runner an out or involved a trace it’d be something.

Or, to put that better and more broadly: I feel as though Weyland gets lots of good stuff but not the ability to make it work – or they get the ability to do something at a cost but limited ways to deal with that cost in-faction. NBN is better for clearing Bad Pub (which makes sense thematically but means that Weyland can’t play the taxing game AND the money game very easily at the same time), HB and Jinteki get ways of keeping the runner out of a server beyond Ice alone, and ultimately Weyland can’t easily mitigate the huge costs they pay (sacrificing Agendas, milling for Power Shutdown, trashing their own stuff for much of their econ options, etc).

EDIT: Yes, I know Public Support also fills the role of 2/1s in this proposal, I just wish I could have something that counted toward my overall Agenda count as an alternative if need be.

Also, Code Gates would be nice. I get that every faction sort-of has a “thing” but Weyland really needs more in-faction Code Gates that are playable. They have 7 in total right now, 2 of which are utter garbage, 1 of which is useful only in advance-ice heavy decks (if then), and 1 is really an all-types ICE. That leaves 3ish out-and-out Code Gates in faction: Wormhole, Checkpoint, and Wendigo.

Jinteki could use another decent barrier while we’re at it, I suppose.

3 Likes

I think Weyland struggles come in one major flavor right now: lack of flexible influence. A lot of what has been proposed addresses that exactly. I’ve been saying moving Jackson to Weyland would do a LOT for balance for a long time now. Making a protection upgrade would have a similar effect of adding 4+ inf to a lot of Weyland decks. It’s hard to bring in punishing facecheck ICE like Tollbooth when your influence is stretched so thin, and especially when you don’t have all that much viable in faction. I love me some Wormhole, Archer, and Orion but those are all very specific niches. Assassin is a big boon and step in the right direction.

Agendas are in a good spot. I’m often tempted to play with no 5/3s, even GFI, because Atlas, Oaktown and NAPD are all so amazing for Weyland of all flavors.

I think they just need to double down on the theme of “Weyland wrecks your shit.” The faction has always been pulled in too many directions; a side effect of it being three factions in early development. Advanceable ICE, meat kill, big money, trashing things, sacrificing agendas, bad pub. Even trashing programs was once the realm of HB and Weyland, and is ironically easier in Jinteki and NBN withe Batty and Keegan. Corporate Town is a perfect example of what can make Weyland good, unique, AND interesting. Power Shutdown, Power Grid Overload, Housekeeping. All of these things interfere with the runner’s plan, which is something that is near impossible to do to the t1 runners right now. The only way to affect their game plan is by going fast. I’d love to Weyland get more of this theme. Attacking your connections, burning down your building, cutting off your options; this match isn’t just between you and Blue Sun, it’s between the Consortium and anyone you’ve ever met.

EDIT: Also make this punishment tag-less. I don’t want more green stuff NBN is better at than Weyland. They already got the better deal in the whole O&C box.

15 Likes

[quote=“Thike, post:63, topic:5699, full:true”] Attacking your connections, burning down your building, cutting off your options; this match isn’t just between you and Blue Sun, it’s between the Consortium and anyone you’ve ever met.
[/quote]

Yes, please.

They could also play around with Weyland actually being a construction company.

2 Likes

Maybe they could finally break down and give them the 1-meat-damage-per-bad-publicity operation already. Or the meat damage Junebug.

Did not know this, and it would explain so very much. Does that mean there were originally going to be 6 Corps, or did they combine Weyland into one and add others, or… really curious about that, if you know more and would be up for sharing.

It’s been a while since I watched Lukas’ talk about it, but originally Argus, Blue Sun and Weyland were separate factions and there were 6 total.

7 Likes

Yes. That last bit. So, so very much that last bit. Weyland needs to be able to reach out and touch Runners and fuck up their shit.

2 Likes

Everything makes so much sense now…

1 Like

Theses are few ideas I came up by reading this topic :

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=549201netrunnerquietneighborhood.png][/URL] [URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=211946netrunnerbait.png][/URL]

17 Likes

Will Weyland comparatively benefit from Councilman and Political Operative hosing other defensive upgrades? Will it be worth making Corporate Town nigh unplayable?

2 Likes

Bait is a solid design. I think 4/1 might still be fair. Back Channels is in faction to turn it into money even if they don’t run.

4 Likes

Corporate Town isn’t like a protection upgrade. You can just hold off on rezzing it if those resources are out. A little more painful to not rez Ash when they’re in. Weyland might get a boost, if only because it will boost Criminals and Weyland is good at making them sad.

24/7 News Cycle kill says hi to Bait

e: with Posted Bounty I guess

It would finally make Weyland better at least on par with yellow murder-wise. I don’t find Bait to be that broken, considering QPM is roughly the same effect if the Runner is tagged. It wouldn’t be broken as a 3/1, IMHO. Also, perfect for Argus Kill.

1 Like

Personally, I think Weyland would benefit from a minor expansion to the color pie - and one is currently not used.

So - ice strength is anarch, and +breaker strength is Shaper. +ice strength is mostly in HB (outside the Breaker Bay cycle and advancable ice) but where is the the -icebreaker stuff?

Weyland seems like a place where this effect makes sense.

Jane
Weyland, 2 influence
Upgrade - Sysop
2 cost, 2 trash.

As an additional cost to access a card in this server, the runner must chose and discard a card. This applies even during the run on which Jane is trashed.

Trash: All icebreakers get -1 strength for the rest of the turn. Use this ability only during runs on this server.

3 Likes
  • Bomb Detector {{ 3 }}
    Ice - Codegate Tracer
    Whenever the runner breaks a subroutine on Frisk, they lose 1 credit. *

Is frisk the name for this card?

This summarizes almost everything I want to say. But seriously we need a 70mins round :^)

I still like to talk a little about BlueSun’s current meta position.

I’ve been testing Glacier BlueSun this April and never stop playing it since then. I’m pretty sure it is at its best spot right now than any time in this year.

If more good players were willing to give up ETF and gave BlueSun more time, there def would have been a BlueSun in Top16. And as far as I can tell, bootcamp Glacier deck has a very good chance on coming out of elim bracket since you have such a good mu against dlr val (and no sucker wiz :grin:) , a close mu against Kate and no tech Noise, all you need to avoid is @d1en’s Val.

I have to admit It is still worse than ETF foodcoat. But foodcoat is no fun.

The real bad mu are
Employee strike parasite spam decks,
RegAss Val,
Noise with Archive interface,
Andy with sucker and multithreader,
Kate with Nexus
good draw RegAss Maxx.

see, who plays these decks?? :wink:

3 Likes

Really? How do you beat noise? I feel that matchup is like 5%.

1 Like

I’ve found that corp town helps a lot.

2 Likes