How FFG (hopefully) saved Netrunner

I think one of the mains reasons is that there’s a reasonable amount of barriers that cost little to no money that you can fill a deck with (Ice Wall, Vanilla, Bailiff, Maru Mati). With Quandary being gone, most of the code gates are kinda expensive, and would largely need to be imported from other factions, since Hortum is really the only playable Code Gate with a hard ETR right out of the gate. In fact, there are very few Code Gates that have an ETR on them that cost less than 4 credits, so rezzing ICE all of a sudden becomes more expensive than you’d want in a deck that aims on snatching programs with Hatchet Job. I do agree that, overall, the idea of Code Gates is a better one because of Hortum, but there doesn’t seem to be enough functional Code Gates for it to work.

1 Like

Well I won one game with this kind of deck in seveb rounds of swiss during german nats (my only win on this day), so yeah it was a npe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sure, but that’s also not the Core 2.0+ rotation meta.

Indeed, the Barrier Skorp deck is completely neutered once you have 1: More credits than them 2: A way to dodge Hunter Seeker (Film Critic, SacCon). Pre-rotation/ban list the runner econ is bonkers, so it is pretty easy to get that set up and then go to town. Post rotation/ban list it might be slightly more difficult…

The barrier skorp deck uses hatchet job and salem’s hospitality, not hunter seeker, specifically to dodge film critic and sac con.

Play more breakers/AI as a backup,keep an eye on econ,make sure that every breaker you install (they mainly target fracters,some variant target decoders) has been fully used make important runs (install and immediately play big access event or steal the remote instead of just installed on table and pass the turn.

Salem Skorp has been around since US National,they basically play no kill or weird stuff you need to worry about other than Hatchet Job&Salem.The only runner I’ve beaten with it easily are the runner who actually didn’t try to interact with me at all,who just sit back,set up econ,install breakers for nothing,unless they are silver bullet Shaper in which case most corps are doomed anyway.

Instead,against a runner who start the game rather aggressively,run my hand and R&D with no breaker and steal early points & sometimes trash Hatchet Job,and find their breaker for big access
(typically this deck’s ICEs are very easy to break) in mid-late game are a harder and much more interesting match-up to play.

Personally,if runner needs to worry about Rigshooter again,it is a great thing isn’t it?

The versions I’ve seen play both. More trashing is best trashing!

1 Like

Ye, I agree that early access is crucial against this kind of deck, AIs too. In general I think that runner have to rethink a bit the game strategy because with less economy every run must count. I think the game is better when the runner is slightly poorer, on average, than corp because then ICE really matters.

3x Saccon also neuter Skorp lockout. And Clot Smoke with Saccon is looking good right now.

2 Likes

That’s still super vulnerable to the Hatchet + Salems combo though. Sac Con doesn’t prevent programs from being added to your grip and without Temujin Smoke is kind of poor.

My experience with these decks, is that as long as Indexing + Mad Dash exists (see also big Legwork plays and Freedom through Equality) they’ll have a pretty hard time. Post rotation already looks like index city (which I love btw), and if the restricted list is true, then you can’t even run GFI with Hunter Seeker which also hurts the deck.

I don’t think it’s a problem, especially as it encourages aggro runners who already seem in a pretty good place vs most decks. The other alternative by the way being Nexus Decks (which may not be fast enough) that definitely still put a clock on slower builds in my limited experience. I’d also guess that they can hold up ok vs some of the spamy sandburg lists that are out there, but I don’t play either.

Hence point 1: Have more credits than them. If it’s an unexpected combo, you can be caught by surprise, but once you know you just always need to have more money than them it’s actually not that hard. There’s not a crazy amount of money in Skorp and if you just set up you should have more cash on hand then them pretty quick. At least, that’s how it is before the (potential) Ban List hit a bunch of money cards.

Well, I think that’s what we’re talking about. Assuming that’s true, Skorp seems a good deal stronger. Although, I do also agree that Indexing and Mad Dash can neuter them somewhat. You just need to set up a situation where you can nab multiple agendas in a single run.

This has been said before, but I echo the view that banlist + MWL seems better than banlist + restricted. Will have to wait and see, though.

4 Likes

I play Skorp “mono”-sentry only last 3 monthes (not only sentries, because I used single copies of Chimera & lately Inazuma. Zuma-Cobra is lol and won me a game at my nat. The deck won 2 games vs players who did not know the cards, loss a game due to bad luck / good insight of my opponent combinaison, loss another one to french champ and another one to french #2).

Decoders is the strong point of Shapers. Shaper are allready the strong faction vs monoskorp. Bad idea imo.

@V01d : NPE vs all noob runners up to medium level players with bad luck. And of course to people who don’t know the cards or the deck.
Even with mono sentry (so with trash prog), that kind of deck get steamrolled by medium player with not much luck or luck or by any good player.
It’s a good deck to grab a few points in a tournament, but it will be autoloss in later rounds. The ID steamrolls spycam decks and MinhMax or RegMaxx, sure. That is all. Not the tower maxx (MUAHAHA) french #1 brung and won 5/5 (“with no sweat”, he said. And he thinks about removing LARLA.).

She was the top dog pre-banlist. Nearly all the solutions mentioned in here to problems corps throw up are shaper. And given people elsewhere recommend shaper cards to fix new crim econ, I’m sure she’ll find some replacement for temujin and moose. Not to mention that stealth is very nice if indeed glacier becomes more viable.

So this banlist which would supposedly fix all broken cards, swings and misses the strongest runner deck.

There’s always going to be a strongest runner deck. It just happens that with this ban and restricted list, Smoke might(?) be it (honestly, Geist looks good too, as per @beyoken’s new video). However, I think that Skorp should be favored in the Smoke matchup, if they’re doing the Hatchet Job deck, since Sac Cons do nothing vs it. She does have a pretty rough time here without a lot of clever play.

I’ve tried your list, the one with tapwrm and peace on our time. I cannot see how skorpio can outmoney Smoke, to be honest

1 Like

It didn’t tbh. Hayley and Kit were both much stronger than Smoke.

(about Clot Smoke with Saccon):

Nope, this one:
http://www.run4games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=10664

That’s the french nat champ deck. I spoke with him saying in substance “Netrunner is broken playing it”. I played against that. Conclusions are : Netrunner is broken if a good player know how to pilot that. But this needs a champ to pilot that stuff.

Gets destroyed by the rotation, hopefully.

We had the same conclusions about “tower” maxx. Aka the format of the deck controls the endgame situation. He tuned it for passive turn 15 with a LARLA to be safe against Jinteki (or active turn 8 x 2 because of LARLA is still somewhere near 15), but thinks about removing it because he uses the card only against Jinteki.

My way of doing it is passive turn 21 but I’d recon drawing like he did with a tagme ressource is wtf for the corp.

Smoke is too slow to install #shaperProblems. In the post rotation form, she will never have enough hard money to pump ash traces and attack at the same moment FA and Glacier and horizontrash.
When she need to run x2 scoring remotes against glacier, she’ll rely on R&D lock tries, which is never the best option against your usual glacier 2x5/3 + 7x ./2 agenda distribution.

The corp he made is an AG Infusion that lost only a game, here it is :
http://www.run4games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=10666

The dude brung his own game (he’s a boardgame author) and was so confident and nice that he said “if I lose the two rounds vs someone, I’ll offer my game” :slight_smile: