How FFG (hopefully) saved Netrunner

Yeah, none of this is relevant. We’re taking about a post core 2.0, post rotation, restricted/ban list environment. Anyhow, my Smoke deck is fairly fucking amazing at crushing glacier decks and FA decks alike, in this specific format we’re talking about in this thread. Ash be damned. Peace in Our Time and Tapwrm make a zillion credits, and I use almost none of those for actually getting in a server.

Fear The Masses might be a come-up card… Just played against a Chaos Theory with Bookmark, ProCo, Diesel, Opus, breakers. Went through their whole deck and had all the FTM on Bookmark by turn 10. That mills 18 cards at full effect, with 4 runs on HQ. That doesn’t seem too hard to make happen, either, especially if you can use that as an opener and build a normal deck behind it to finish off the game with. Combine with Trope = ???

FTM next ban/restricted? @_@

1 Like

I don’t know… a single best defence and their plans come crashing down.

1 Like

Sacrificial Construct helps against Best Defense and is in faction.

I think if you want to go for Fear the Masses, simple 6+5+4+3 mill will not be good enough, you need Hyperdriver/All-Nighter for extra clicks, Fan Site with The Shadow Net to get multiple mill 6 plays, finally you need to be able to get 5-6 successful HQ runs during the power turn.

To @Saan : @mykonian was talking about a “top dog pre-banlist” :wink:

After ranting after the ID, I used to play Skorp and I’d disagree to boost it furthermore. It’s pretty NPE if the corp player have luck, because it relies (I think) a little too much on luck (aka drew the card / did not) rather than skill than your usual “I play Netrunner” corp deck. I think it’s easier to automate a Skorp than other decks, not sure if I’d like to see more rewards for robot decks ?

Challenge accepted :wink:

Points if you use windfall+monolith to power your running turn.

The list was legit! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/27/arrest-warrants-issued/

14 Likes

I’ve been finding I usually have a fifth Beth click in the power turn but I usually use it to Mad dash archives

Sad to see Temujin gone. It was broke because it could be a turn1 windfall and because it made open server assets virtually unplayable. But it really was needed for making late game runs on a heavily iced server over several turns. If it only triggered on servers protected by 1 piece of ICE or only on R&D/HQ I think it would have been fine. *single.tear

Agenda flood fun and runner broke in lategame new meta aka removing tension growth aka what not to do in gamedesign 101.
Won’t applaude for now.
If they goes the way I think they’re going and release stuff like “operation 0c, install 2 agendas from archives and advance each once for free”, I could change my mind, but runner needs perma econ to help him stop draw in the end of the game and the corp needs something to counter 20% of their games or so that you start with a crowd f agendas in hand (loosing to that is lame, especially with Fisk unharmed).

wait what?

Didn’t some version of Estelle Moon open asset spam win basically every tournament?

4 Likes

you’re right…overstated for sure. It still seems like we’ve seen a drop in the simple assets with a small benefit that just weren’t worth trashing…like Pad Campaign. We’ve also seen a rise in heavily operation-based decks without any assets. For decks that include open assets, they increasingly seem must-trash like (Banned) clone suffrage and assets with paid clickless trash abilities (Moons) which are poor Temujin targets. In deck building, if you want to play cards like Pad Campaign you also have to include additional ICE to keep it from being Temujin fodder. Would you agree that Temujin played a role in those shifts? Or were you just objecting to my overstatement?

1 Like

I actually wouldn’t agree that’s Temujin’s fault - the mass asset spam invasion like IG54 and Gagarin Hot Tubs arrived before Temujin, ushered in by the printing of the Politicals and Museum of History and Mumbad City Hall.

Whizzard tried to keep them in check for a while, but even the majority of runners on Whiz with Slums and Emp Strikes wasn’t enough to keep CTM asset spam from being the vast majority of the Worlds top cut last year.

After that, Temujin being printed I believe actually helped rein the asset spam back in a little bit - it gives a big boost to Corps which bother to run a bunch of ICE and protect their servers, and turns a Jeeves from “click and 5c to trash” into “6 clicks to gain 11 credits and trash” with things like Desperado and Aeneas Informant only improving things from there.

I’ve rambled on, but I think I want the same thing you want. I like the assets like PAD Campaign or Daily Business Show or Team Sponsorship - ones which are useful enough for the Corp to value them, but not worth trashing to the runner unless they’re rich and looking to deny something specific - “oh crap, they’re about to score and use that Sponsorship to get back the SanSan Grid, gotta stop that”

But the thing standing in the way of that goal is all the crazy overpowered assets like the Politicals. For those to exist without stuff like Whizzard, Aeneas, Temujin, is to just make those decks unbeatable and swamp the meta and erase any meaningful ICE and remote play. But while those exist alongside the tools to fight them, those tools will make the weaker assets unplayable.

I think you’re pointing out that the evolution of the problem traces back to cards that facilitated asset spam deck construction prior to Temujin. I don’t disagree with that. I’m just saying that the existence of Temujin changed the space of viable deck construction for the Corp. Long ago, PAD Campaign either generated slow econ for the Corp or it was a reasonable hit to the Runner’s econ if they chose to trash. Whiz changed that a good bit, but with Temujin, an unprotected PAD Campaign could gift the Runner enough economy for half the game. So if you want a PAD you have to have additional ICE and money to rez it. The additional cost in deck slots, credits, and clicks made a PAD campaign just not worth it. With Whiz and Temujin gone, we might see these kind of self protecting assets come back into open servers.

My original gripe was that Temujin should have been (IMO) an economy card to fund attacking runs on important servers rather than purely econ runs on open servers. If Temujin text only fired on successful runs on servers with at least one ICE then I think it would have not overwhelmed the variety of Corp strategies so much. Asset spam should have been better dealt with in the design with lower trash costs on powerful cards.

Yeah I actually liked the design of High-Stakes Job for that purpose. I built a pancha gingerbread silhouette deck (it was for an achievements legaue!) that played it and it was a fun card to play. What is sad is that it is a run event and so couldn’t be used with other high-impact events.

Small gripe but I wouldn’t classify the sort of tempo CtM lists that dominated worlds as “asset spam”. Looking back, the lists ran a modest number of assets. @Nemamiah’s winning list had a grand total of 9 (13 if you count the upgrades). You don’t always want to spam assets in CtM every turn like you do in Moons or IG, but often just install them one at a time to maximize your ID ability rather than allow multiple trashes and only a single trace.

I think, unfortunately, the “fair” non-political assets you mention like DBS and Pad Campaign are a bit of a liability now too, as runners are desperate for economy and turning to 3x Aeneas Informant and/or Security Testing. So now you can either go full on asset spam and out-tempo the runner, but if you go halfway and don’t ICE all your remotes you get punished, particularly by Criminal.

7 Likes

Also Aumakua, which pairs nicely with Aeneas as well. Letting it get back up to 4 easily after a purge makes purging nearly pointless.

My opinion may not be as relevant, especially seeing as I’ve been out of the game for about 2 years now, but this rotation/mwl/Core 2.0 has got me incredibly excited. It’s literally given me a reason to jump back in to the game. In addition, it’s allowed me to convince some of my friends to come back, and some more to try it out. As foolish as it seems, I hoping that this signals a turn potential resurgence of players, and that my experience isn’t entirely unique.

10 Likes

Yesterday (9/30) we did a Core 2.0 GNK and had 18 players. The overall feeling in the group was excitement; was a good mix of new players and old players (and some players that had “stepped back” from the game).

Consequently, Reina and NBN won the event! :slight_smile:

My sense is that people want to play the game and have been waiting in the wings, watching to see if it would finally right itself (as best as it can)

7 Likes