How FFG killed the Netrunner fanbase

I agree that the current situation doesn’t look great-- lack of communication from FFG about Worlds, MWL updates, Cycle 8, and the oft-rumored Core 2.

There are reasons for optimism, though. New lead designer, a major meta shakeup with rotation, increasing interest in the limited Cache Refresh format, recent innovation in new product (Terminal Directive, like it or not, was a cool idea). Cycle 8 may not be announced in a spectacular and concrete fashion, but it was at least confirmed as delayed until 2018 at GenCon, and after Mumbad/Flashpoint I think that we are probably OK with giving FFG a little more time to hash things out (assuming that’s part of the delay and it’s not just production/distribution delays).

Maybe all of these recent changes have just been life support to keep sales as strong as possible for Red Sands or to sell Worlds tickets. Maybe they are signs that FFG is going to at least wait until the health of the game can be assessed post-rotation before making a decision about the future of ANR.

Of course ANR will come to an end some day. However, I don’t think you have to be a Pollyanna to look at the current situation and say that the game still has life in it.

7 Likes

Personally, I’m happy enough to wait longer for a cycle or even definitive news on releases if it means that FFG are using that time to formulate a proper plan for the future health and growth of the game (it seems highly unlikely they’ll drop it given sales + the investment in the Android IP) and if it means better design for the next cycle and onwards. To me this seems preferable to continuing to muddle through on schedule.

3 Likes

I might add Andrew Navaro becoming FFG’s head of studio as another reason for optimism. We’ve heard multiple rumours that Christian Petersen’s management style didn’t scale well to running a large games studio, so having a buffer between him and the designers might turn out to be good. And although Navaro’s interview about Netrunner wasn’t super informative, it was the first Netrunner-focused interview with someone higher up in FFG that I know of.

Of course, he’s been head of studio since January, but if his promotion does turn out to represent a major change then I would expect it to take a while for all the effects of it to be seen.

1 Like

Sure:

1 Like

(I sat down the other day with a few hours before work and decided to sort out my collection for rotation. It ended up being an emotional experience. I’m gonna post this here as an optimistic perspective amidst all the doomsaying)

As I sat down to sort out the rotating cards from my collection, I wasn’t prepared for how large the piles were going to be. I started with HB, and as I separated the cards from the first two cycles, I was inundated with memories and an overwhelming nostalgia. Ash, Eli 1.0, Eve Campaign, Project Vitruvius… these are cards I have sleeved and desleeved for years, cards I have rezzed and trashed hundreds of times, subroutines I have clicked and paid through since I started the game. Less common cards joined the fray: Viper, Green Level Clearance, Janus 1.0… but the memories continued. Even amidst the jank and fodder, there were few cards that I hadn’t shuffled at some point, few cards that hadn’t come to define a small part of the game I loved at first run, Android Netrunner.

I continued into the other factions, the cards towering higher than I had expected. I felt a twinge of sadness to see Himitsu-Bako join the pile, an unassuming barrier that was the staple of Jinteki gear-check not too long ago, and one which I likely will never rez again. The stacks of rotating cards became narratives unto themselves: the infamous RP and its lackeys Sundew and Tsurugi, who caused me hours of grief while I agonizingly climbed the learning curve of their weaknesses. Caprice Nisei, who carried an entire faction on her back for years. Every successful and failed psi-game was contained in this single card, every narrow victory and crushing defeat as palms were opened and credits revealed.

Every faction was full of memories, from the satisfaction of over-advancing an Atlas, to my early ventures in Criminal with the help of Mr. Li. My relationship with the game has been sporadic at times, most recently having endured a half-year break-up; but digging through each and every card in my collection served to remind me of all the fun I have had with Netrunner over the years. It has been the catalyst to friendships, and the predator of early-morning hours, while I lay sleepless in bed, speculating over new cards and hypothetical synergies. Most of all, Netrunner connected me with a global community, a community of dynamic, interesting, and genuinely good people.

It would be easy to write a retrospective of each and every card, but I will leave that to someone else. What I want to stress is the power that Netrunner has. As I’m sure each and everyone one of you will discover, even the humblest of cards have affected you in ways that cannot be quantified. While I was sad to file many of these cards away, in a box now labeled Rotation, the process was also therapeutic, and filled me with an uncharacteristic optimism. The global community has been discouraged as of late, but I think rotation is the perfect time to remind ourselves how great this game is, and how much more it has to offer. This is our first chance to really see how our game evolves and adapts within the LCG model. Despite its relative youth, Netrunner is already a tapestry of narratives, from the early years dominated by glacier and tag’n’bag, to the tumultuous metas and game-breaking cards of recent years. Those who have been around the longest should be the most enthusiastic; after all, what other card game can provide so many memories, emotions, controversies, and arguments? I don’t think any game comes close, and personally I’m looking forward to the coming months with the same excitement I had showing up to my first LGS. I encourage you to rifle through your collection the next chance you get. You’ll be surprised at just how alive this game really is.

72 Likes

Dude. I didn’t come to this thread to get a little dust in my eyes.

(EDIT: very well put. You’ve got my vote for Post of the Month)

11 Likes

LCGs are a big chunk of their recurring revenue, especially if you count X-wing as one. Andrew would be foolish to not try and grow that part.

I think one of the problems they have had is that they are forcing the same formula on their LCGs as they have done with boardgames. This is probably why rotation are so slow and why they can’t cut some of the profit margins on the core set and add 3x of each core set card.

I think they’ve had huge (financial) success not putting 3-ofs in the Core Set, to the point where they have doubled-down on that and gone to only 1-ofs non-neutrals. With just 1-ofs for non-neutrals, the casual player (who probably only buys one core set, ever!) gets more unique cards in each box, potentially generating more interest through mechanics to convert them to more serious players. Then they get the competitive/serious players to buy 3(!!) core sets (instead of just 2, which was more common with Netrunner’s core card distribution) for even more revenue. If players are truly serious, they’ll probably eat the cost and get 2 more sets even while grumbling.

They have the numbers internally, probably, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that having more 1-ofs increases revenue and player retention, paradoxically enough.

2 Likes

The existence of one-ofs and two-ofs in the Core Set seems pretty annoying when you move from casual to less casual player. However, I don’t think spending too much money on Netrunner is really the gripe of anyone serious enough about the game to be on these forums. (Hi to former MTG players out there). In fact, we’re happy to support the game if it means there will be more of it. It’s also important that the LGS make some money from the game, otherwise they have no incentive to invest in keeping the scene lively and recruiting new players.

So, having a fun and balanced Core Set, to draw in new players, is the key concern. Just keeping the game healthy is all we ask, in return we’ll buy two or three of your ridiculously large boxes.

5 Likes

With one complete core (or at least a “tournament pack” containing the missing cards) it would be easier to get people to try it out. If you feel compelled to buy 2 extra cores, this means you use that money to buy 4 data packs instead, which would give you more competitive decks. You also don’t just buy the extra cards, you are paying for more transport, more packaging and surplus cards.

Personally I think it is better to get people hooked so you can get their money continuously instead of fleecing them at the beginning. It is easier to build a community if people think they can afford it. I think this is a prime example of being to greedy.

Most players are pretty casual. I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people who care if a core box is tourney-ready. Even competitive players won’t be thinking about that until they know they like the game and plan to buy into it. People will be interested in trying out the game, and more unique cards in a box means more mechanics to experience and more unique experiences with the different factions and what not.

And what I’m saying is that having more unique cards in on the core set is probably more likely to get people hooked. Once you’re hooked the cost of another two core sets isn’t insane (it isn’t nice, but not crazy pants) over the life of the game.

I think overall you’re probably right about this, but not including duplicates in a core set can leave the games you play with it feeling like a random luckfest, which will put some people off. Source: This was my experience of Conquest, which I considered buying into but didn’t based on the core experience. Playing later with someone else’s constructed decks from multiple cores made it seem a lot more interesting, but it was too late by then - I’d already sold off my core. (I guess I dodged a bullet there, given its early demise)

But I appreciate people like me are probably less common than people who enjoy the diversity.

1 Like

This game is good, y’all! Embrace the change.

Z (my kid) and me have been playing for about a year and a half. We have thoroughly enjoyed the game as it has been including the rapid shifts in gameplay from release of broken cards, MWL updates, and ever-changing card interactions. We bought the core first and played together for a month or so before joining matches at the shop. Then we gradually bought two big boxes and occasionally the data packs with cards we frequently proxy’d. Eventually we bought a used full collection.

In our short time playing, there have been times that corp play is thoughtless draw-a-card-play-a-card, while the runner has to use every ounce of brain power to even have a shot at a win. But within months, new runner cards obliviate those corp decks. Then there are corp decks that do every thing they can to survive and squeak out enough credits until they find their kill combo while the runner takes easy decision plays.

Z used to win a lot with his Railgun deck, but I’d say easily over a third of his wins were actually from scoring out and not kills. It took him a couple of months to “get over his loss” when his deck hit the MWL. I think most players feel the same way when their decks get hit or just become losing strategies based on new cards. But we always find new decks to play. This game is alive, y’all. Its just got some players that scream and kick as they get dragged along. That’s is probably a sign of how much they love it…but as with any “relationship,” things inevitably change whether we like it or not. Healthy “relationships” have room for change.

I like that the idea of core and big boxes sold with 1ofs and 2ofs. There needs to just be a $200 pro kit that lets players receive all the other cards and in-rotation data packs (maybe used) to catch up. The natural progression for new players should be core, then big boxes to suit their deck choices, then pro kit. I could also see how a discounted $120 upfront annual subscription option might let FFG better plan for demand and perhaps keep the cycles (and community) rolling a little more smoothly.

5 Likes

I’ve said it before, but I’d still really love to see cycle packs (containing a whole cycle, see yugi’oh boxes) come out a few months after they finish releasing a cycle and retailing at a meaningful discount on getting the cards instantly.

6 Likes

I’m gonna like this, but good god, tl;dr

Also, thanks @spags, it heightens my passion to know you care.

2 Likes

Too soon man, too soon… :wink:

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I also care.

1 Like

Moist, dry those eyes. Some of those cards just rose from their graves!

4 Likes

It’s amusing how many cards you mentioned didn’t end up rotating.

Do you have some influence on Boggs you would like to disclose? :wink:

3 Likes

First rule of the illuminati is that you don’t talk about the illuminati

3 Likes