I Guess This is NEARPAD? - 1st Place Store Champ, SHL2 Carry

Just went 7-1 (one loss to extreme sloppy play because it was the first IRL play of this deck in over a month) with this deck. Decklist here if you want to check it out: High Assets v1.1 - 2nd Place SC - Guardian Games - PDX, OR · NetrunnerDB

I think most people write this off, and that’s fine, but after relearning how to play after struggling the first 3 rounds it really just hummed and it felt like I was playing on another level or something. Good times!

If only my Whizzard didn’t go 3-4… :frowning:

My friend picked this deck up yesterday. He’s an experienced player, lots of experience with NEH as well.

He played this exact (or at least very similar version) and I stomped him easily twice with my Noise. It wasn’t even close either game. I’m not saying the deck is bad, read on…

I think this deck is very similar to Cambrige PE. It requires a lot of practice (and you can’t learn that, you have to actually play it), and also it is very hard to pilot it against a runner who knows exactly what to expect. Also it will stomp on bad/unsuspecting players. But those players loose to glacier/astrobiotics as well… That’s why I stopped playing PE - a lot of matchups just go to the “does he choose the right server to run” vs bad players, or just multiaccess rnd from good players.

Some thoughts on the deck: I think this deck’s strongest point is for runner to run into an unexpected snare with DRT on the table, but unless the you have the dedicated response team, you cannot really effectively follow up on that for the kill like you can in PE.

Furthermore: the deck lacks money. Since I had Imps (run only on rezzed economy/DBS and sansans), I was able to stay on top of him money wise and he was never able to midseason me. Using snares is expensive, and there is no reliable sustainable economy vs trashing/imping money assets.

Also, I’ve had worse is a really good card against this deck…

No stiv, he only plays NBN FA, don’t lie here

That’s the thing. NEH Astrobullshit players can’t play this deck. It truly takes a while to stomp people consistently.

I recently played around with a non-tagging variant of this deck that used Psychic Fields instead of DRTs to more heavily punish checking every remote. I also added 3x Turtlebacks to help with early game econ, which turned out to be unbelievably good.

I found with the original tagging version, people often made the mistake of not trashing DRT on sight, which is what got the wins. But as people got better, they started to catch on, and if they can trash DRT before they get tagged, then the deck loses its teeth.

I’m not sure this is actually accurate. This deck has many win conditions, and DRT is only one of them. Rather large Psycho Beales have lost me both games against John when we played in 2 different store champs, and although the DRTs were a threat that slowed me down in one, they were nowhere to be found in the second one, and I didn’t feel any less pressured. Honestly, the weakness of this deck now is going to be the fact that the fast advance threat is going to be neutered in several match ups (at least for a while). However, Psycho Beale remains unaffected by this, so I’d argue that the tagging version is going to be stronger.

Against the deck that you posted, I’m not sure I’d mind occasionally losing my hand to a Psi game, because there’s nothing you can follow it up with that will kill me. All it really does is keep me from running until I’m back at 3 cards again next turn (or immediately, if I have IHW). I suppose it does slow the runner’s tempo down, which might give you a scoring window if you already have an agenda on the table (or a fast advance option and no Clot threat) since they’re not going to be hitting more servers for fear of Snare!.

I’d be curious to play against it a few times and see what the differences are.

Well, my previous DRT version didn’t run SanSan or Midseasons (it used City Surveillance instead) so Psycho-Beale wasn’t as big of a win condition, though that still won me some games. I don’t find Midseasons to be a very exciting card, personally – It’s very good, to be sure, but it feels boring to play.

Strange, i find it to be one of the most exciting cards. Nothing quite says “Well, there’s no holding back now” like a ton of tags. Runners tend to go nuts with aggression afterwards and that makes for exciting play, to me.

6 Likes

Interested in checking out this deck again. Can you post an actual link to the decklist on NRDB, so I can find the list? Or perhaps post the list here. Any updates?

Editted to make a link directly from the original post

Here is the decklist @JohnnyCreations used last Saturday at the SC we were at. It’s still as monstrous as ever, and he played it like a champ.

2 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t think Midseasons is an interesting card must be very boring in real life.

8 Likes

So it’s been said.

4 Likes

I’d like to revive this thread to discuss the state of NEARPAD-like decks in the current meta. I feel that the deck is in a comparatively weak position due to changes in runner behavior, and runner tech to deal with things like resurgent HB and NEH Fastro. Each individual threat can be played around, but altogether it leads to a far more difficult game. I’m most interest in learning if any of you have adjusted successfully in response to these threats.

1. Clot: Unlike NEH Fastro, we generally cannot afford the slots for SfSS, the best way to make forcing plays and bluff out a Clot. We can hide Blacklist and Cyberdex in remotes, but I’ve found runners on the whole far more willing to obsessively check remotes. I’ve upped my Snare and Psychic Field count to compensate, but it’s not quite enough.

2. Sticking Remotes: Increased Anarch play means that IHW, Imp, and Scrubber are all out to play. Even decks without special tools can muster the insane economy needed to stomp a remote or two every turn, since they’re bankrolling against glacier.

3. Hactivist Meeting: Playing around this card is certainly possible, if your opponent just slaps it down and expects a free win. A good player will expect it to be temporary, and use its presence to defuse a dangerous board state. The player should expect you to try and sneak out an agenda to clear it, and will check appropriately. Your main outs are a: having an agenda already on the board, or b: having an untrashed SanSan and the economy to score without making a bigger problem for yourself.

I’ve found myself still winning with the deck, but it feels far more random than I would like.

Some cards I would like to consider:

Breaker Bay Grid: A bit too combo-ey for my tastes, but BBG is a nice mix of “must-trash” and early-midgame economy for this deck. It also opens up Hostile Infrastructure as an include if you’re willing to accept the games where the two cards never meet up properly.

Turtlebacks: Continuing the theme of a stronger economy. Influence is really tight though.

Singleton Snatch and Grab: A way to shut up the Kati if they drop low in credits during a trashing frenzy.

Will o the Wisp: (Say whaaat?). The worst suggestion here, as WotW is expensive to fire, and WAY too many moving parts. This is purely a way to tax SMCs and recursion vs. Kate, to make her choose between turning off the clot threat, or letting you potentially score behind a dumb wraparound in a remote. Force it to fire by protecting your DRT/must-trash with said wraparound.

I don’t mind Hacktivist so much, since I normally have a TGTBT lying around on the board anyway, so I can just score it to get rid of it. It can slow me down, but I usually don’t worry about it too much.

Really, I feel like the deck is in a weak place because most people have learned how to deal with it. You check every remote, eat the Snares, and generally try to find all the DRTs. Once you know where the DRTs are, the whole deck becomes a lot less scary, especially since people know it doesn’t tend to run Scorch.

1 Like

I tend to agree. Although I have had some good success with the archetype lately in my meta just because no one is running fast advance.

In that way, it certainly has teeth as it effectively tries for fast advance and can threaten a flatline fairly easily.

Gutenberg is also a great help for the archetype, possibly even over Data Raven, but sadly, most runners know this decks tricks.

I think if the meta shifts away from Anarch and Glacier, it will come back into fashion. Til then, Butcher Shop seems slightly more reliable.

I do <3 NEARPAD though.

Everything the last few people have said is true. The deck is definitely weak right now. Valencia is a huge problem and PPVP Kate has always been tough (she is stronger than ever right now).

Keep your feet to the fire, lovers of this deck! :smile:

I will add, though, that using 2 inf for 2 Psychic Fields (instead of Eli or Encryption Protocols) has been really good for me, which punishes checking every remote even more. It’s one way to give the deck some more teeth and can slow them down enough to open a scoring opportunity.

Definitely, I’m all aboard the psychic field train. I also want to hop on the License Acquisition train, but deck slots are utterly tight. Nothing feels right to drop. I saw you drop psycho, but I keep it as a closer for people who go tag-me after clearing the first wave of DRTs. It happens often enough and is decisive enough for me to want to keep it, I think.

I did the same thing with 3 Psychics. Deck just is too jittery right now.

1 Like