Industrial Genomics - no win condition required

Hey guys!

Awesome to see more are picking up IG. I’ll prob regret it when I have to play against more IG in tournaments.

I definitely feel the clock is our worst enemy. I also hope one day I won’t be on camera playing against Kate which is the longest slog of a matchup these decks have to deal with.

I’m definitely waiting on Genetics Pavilion. It seems it may be able to buy a bit more time for IG to get set up. IT Department seems interesting as well. Wonder how much work you really get out of it.

I agree with not trying to over fill archives. Keeping just a handful of cards makes it just annoying for the runner.

Also, I see Shi Kyu popping up in more IG decks. I never really got much work done with this card. Wondering if you guys are feeling it’s really pulling it’s weight.

Love the good discussion going on here.

If you want to quickly turn the ability on, slot some Accelerated Diagnostics. Either you get some cool effects or you put 3 cards in archives for 1 + click.

I’ve been testing IG on octgn these last days, and the conclusion is that I’m going to play Tennin in the Regional on saturday!

After that, I’ll try my hand at it again, it’s an intriguing and different deck. Definetly right up my alley.

On Shi Kyu, I’ve hit it once or twice playing against IG, and I just take the -1 point immediately. Sooner or later the corp is going to attempt to flatline me anyway with it, it’s not like I’m never running Archives. If I could see an agenda composition that falls naturally into 7 points for both players it would be a huge advantage (as the runner then needs to score one more agenda than you), but With a mix of 2 and 3 pointers 6, 8 or even 9 points is almost as likely, and in that case it does nothing. Maybe if I could fit all 3.

1 Like

I’ve kept 1 Shi Kyu in my build for 2 reasons. The first is that, if the runner doesn’t take it. I can just use it as Shock number 4 in archives. I’m rarely ever triggering it for more than 1 or 2 credits. The second is that it can help take some of the sting out of the runner finding my Hades Fragment. It doesn’t make it completely better, but it does bring it back down to a 2 point agenda which is markedly more manageable.

So I did a bit of testing the other day and will be doing more shortly with my modified @Cory_Hockman deck.

Previously the only change was -2 ELP +2 Cerebral Static, which played quite well in the tournament I took it to. What I’ve found though (and this is not to disparage Cory in any way) is that the deck needs a bit more resilient ICE, at least in my meta because parasite and data sucker is a thing.

To that end I have gone -2 Cerebral Static, -1 Hostile Infrastructure, +1 Tollbooth, +1 Lotus Field, +1 Lockdown.

I like Hostile Inf a lot, but it always seems to be a bit of a luxury. I’m hoping that by increasing my ICE count, I’ll be able to money up a bit more easily, which in turn should help with the Hostile. Tollbooth is a very solid piece of ICE and the deck tends to punish sucker spam if you can get a bit of ICE down early. The lotus field is a cheaper, influence free, un-parasitable piece of ICE which I think the deck could use. The Lockdown is for testing purposes. I feel like it on Archives or R&D could put the runner into awkward positions, but the only time I’ve seen it so far has been after I won a hard fought battle with a Kate over Blacklist, and the Runner was out of cards in their stack. So I pitched it to fuel the ID.

Playing around with the ICE is prob where these decks can improve the most. I watched one deck running Elis and it was legit. I tended to play with very little ETR ICE.

In my defense playing a lot of Jinteki I tend to always prefer “welcoming” ICE to let the runners into places where more hard could await them. Though in these builds it may be better to delay entry as much as possible, or try to make it a lot more taxing?

Tollbooth is solid. Lotus Field helps versus Parasite/Sucker. Lockdown I’m not so sure about this deck. To some point it seems like you want the runner drawing cards to mill them out faster. Guess that all depends on it you go with the grind strategy.

Let me know how the testing goes.

My genomics - blacklist deck’s ice doesn’t want you in too much, but some is fine:

Barrier Barrier (3)

2x Ashigaru
1x Wraparound •
Code Gate Code Gate (5)

2x Crick
1x Tollbooth ••
2x Yagura
Sentry Sentry (6)

2x Cortex Lock
1x Ichi 2.0 •••
1x Komainu
2x Tsurugi

I’ve actually found komainu to be best as a 3 of. I preffer to have it over archives early and eventually adding crick above it. Also quicksand may be worth testing as an early etr for centrals. Worst case scenario it draws out a parasite, which I would rather see than a dead komainu or tsurugi. Best case it becomes increasingly prohibitive as the runner panics and digs for agendas.

I have a hard time using more than 1, faerie is still a thing, and parasite with CC makes it sad. I run the 1 of for late game rezes when the recursion has been taxed.

Alright, so here’s my report for the regionals in Canberra, Australia on 20 June 2015.

I took IG and Whizzard to the competition, but obviously I’ll just focus on IG here. The list is as follows:

Identity
Industrial Genomics: Growing Solutions (The Source)

Agenda (9)
1x Hades Fragment (Up and Over)
3x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
2x Fetal AI (Trace Amount)
3x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)

Asset (20)
2x Blacklist (Breaker Bay) • •
3x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)
2x Sundew (Mala Tempora)
3x Shock! (True Colors)
2x Snare! (Core Set)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) • • •
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
2x Hostile Infrastructure (All That Remains)

ICE (15)
2x Crick (Breaker Bay)
2x Ashigaru (Up and Over)
3x Tsurugi (True Colors)
3x Komainu (Honor and Profit)
2x Cortex Lock (The Valley)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set) ••
1x Lotus Field (Upstalk)
1x Lockdown (Chrome City)

Operation (4)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Reclamation Order (Double Time) ••

Upgrade (6)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) •• ••
2x Hokusai Grid (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)

Total Cards: 54
Total Influence: 13

The first thing you’ll probably notice is the use of only 13 influence. This list is based off @Cory_Hockman’s list and I’ve been playing for the past few weeks with the removal of 2 ELP for 2 Cerebral Static. I found the card to be solid, but obviously high variance. Going into my last while of testing, I decided to swap out the 2 Cerebral Static and 1 Hostile Infrastructure for a Tollbooth, a Lotus Field and a Lockdown. I wanted a bit more of an ability to keep a Runner out of a particular server, as well as a means of at least forcing the runner to have a solid Code Gate breaker or Yog NRE, instead of just having another piece of ICE parasited to death. Lockdown was an interesting inclusion and has a weird effect on runners.

Game 1 vs Whizzard L4J

My first game was against Whizzard, the L4J list put together by @spags piloted by the eventual runner up. Take it for granted that this deck plays a very grindy match typically, so the ones where the game goes short are the odd ones out. We had a solid back and forth throughout the game with several agendas scored and stolen. He managed two future perfects (one out of hand, one off the top of R&D) while I managed two NAPD contracts.

During the early game, he trashed my installed Jackson because I had nothing worth shuffling in and figured I could shuffle it back in with another Jackson. In my next turn, I proceeded to draw into both other Jacksons, and on his next turn he proceeded to run HQ and hit both Jacksons. So that was fun. Fortunately, it took a while for me to flood out too hard, and by that time he was running very low on cards and was having a hard time dealing with my nickle-and-dime net damage. The game came down to his having four cards in hand and none in the stack, choosing whether to run on R&D or HQ (which had three agendas in it). He chose R&D, correctly afraid of hitting one of the two snares in HQ, and having a slim chance of hitting the Hades Shard. He whiffed and I triple advanced my TFP for the win.

Game 2 vs Reina Siphon

My second game was against a Reina deck, and instantly I was expecting headlock. Well it was, but not the way I’d normally expect. I was Account Siphoned 5 times and Vamped once in this game. Not really a surprise that I lost to eater keyhole through all that, but I still managed to score out 5 points. This seemed to be the biggest weakness the deck had, since it tends to run porous, taxing ICE, and if the runner can get through with Eater, then they don’t care about spending funds to siphon you.

Game 3 vs CT Siphon

Once again the siphons were strong, especially on the back of a turn 1 Opus. I managed to stabilise however, as my opponent seemed to be confused about what my deck was doing, and I had a Melange behind an Ash, Caprice and two ICE letting me money up while he took single accesses on R&D. Again I scored out 5 points, and he stole five points. I was very close to having the win, as I had a TFP in hand, a safe server to put it in and the money to protect and score it, so I was two turns from winning. He correctly read, and went for a Legwork. I played this same player last week in this same matchup, and his Legwork at that time made him hit two snares and Flatline. I had two snares in hand. He accessed Hedge Fund, Snare and… TFP. I lost the Psi Game, giving him the win. Absolutely awesome game.

Game 4 vs Scavenge Kit

I managed to keep this Kit fairly off balance all game, with play of the game being him running into archives through my Crick with no breakers and letting me re-install the face-down Blacklist that was in there. After seeing that the coast was clear, he went for Retrieval Run to get his Torch. I rezzed the Blacklist. Don’t think I’ve ever seen someone so crestfallen playing this game before. I was solidly in control of this game, even with him getting relatively frequent single accesses on R&D, and won without losing an agenda.

Game 5 vs Silhouette

I got matched up against my testing partner. We both knew the ins and outs of the others style, and while I knew he had tweaked his Silhouette deck the night before, I was well aware of what his “Hate Out RP” build was attempting to do: Quest Completed and Notoriety. Yes I know, it sounds like jank (and it is), but it’s actually quite solid against RP. Caprice Ash doesn’t mean shit when they don’t have to run that server. This game was utterly brutal with huge swings back and forth. It came down to him with no cards left in his deck on 6 points, me on 5, and he had the ability to get into my remote once with his credits, or go for a Quest Completed. I had put down a Jackson in the remote in the hope that he would spend out for QC… He went for Archives, bounced onto R&D using Doppleganger, then hit up HQ taking a net damage from my Hokusai Grid. With five cards left in grip, I had a 20% chance of hitting the card I needed to hit to win.

I didn’t. He played notoriety for his seventh point and the game. I’m not proud to say that I was more than a little salty about it.

So I ended the day on a pitiful 8 prestige, splitting the first four rounds of swiss and getting swept by my testing partner. IG won 2/5 games with only one of the losses not being a very hard fought game.

Things that I learned:

• Hostile Infrastructure is just too much of a luxury. Half the time I don’t want to spend a click to put it down, and when I do I’m never rezzing it because I need the credits elsewhere, or the runner isn’t able to trash my assets anyway.
  • A few more pieces of ETR were very nice to have, able to make me secure the servers that I needed to. Tollbooth is expensive but worth it and Lotus Field pulled its weight.
  • Lockdown has a very weird effect on Runners and will often pull a tax from them. But at the end of the day I’m not sure it’s worth it over another piece of taxing or ETR ICE. Follow up net damage hitting IHW is wonderful but relatively rare. Still Lockdown is a fantastic piece of ICE and if I had the space I’d run one (and may still)
  • Eater is a pain because of its interaction with Archives. They turn everything face-up, but don’t hit the shocks. I’m thinking a singleton Swordsman would be a solid inclusion, just as AI tech and to help protect archives.
  • Runners who know what they’re doing against IG can make your life a pain, especially if they have the econ. It’s absolutely worth it to build a scoring server that you put a Melange in. Melange will win you games with this deck.
  • Sundew is awkward. In order for it to be good, it really needs to be protected. This can mean keeping archives protected, but if you can’t do that then you have to protect Sundew with ICE/other stuff. Sometimes this is necessary, but if you need that ICE/protection elsewhere it can be rough getting Sundew online. Typically I was far more happy to see a Melange.
  • The Whizzard matchup is solid. My other testing has been outside of a tournament setting, but you often “blank” his ID by forcing him to actually spend those credits, rather than just getting to trash things for free, which can really slow his game down.
  • I’d like a little more non-asset based econ to recover if the assets get trashed. I’m thinking 2 of Celebrity Gift, though I’m concerned about our HQ usually being porous, if taxing.
  • The last two influence will be going on a Crisium Grid. Potentially even two Crisium Grid by removing the Tollbooth (which I’d likely replace with another Lotus Field). Though I think one is correct. This will give us a bit more game against Siphon and Vamp heavy decks.

I love IG and I think it’s in a strong place at the moment. I definitely have a lot to learn as a player, but the deck is always a strong fighter, even in the most adverse of circumstances. If you put in the reps to know the deck, you don’t really have to worry about going to time. I didn’t go to time in a single round all day. Nearly everyone I played against said that they thought IG is a great ID and I agree.

1 Like

I feel Hostile Infrastructure is only really good wth Breaker Bay Grid, when you are running it along a couple other high rez assets, to really capitalize on it. At least from an RP perspective…I might be different, but I’ve been loving the hell out of HI in RP for a while now.