Influence Inflation

What if all your agendas are at the bottom, you’d probably want to be able to draw them faster then, right?

JSYK: You can select and quote multiple people’s posts in a reply.

2 Likes

I’m used to being on an android tablet, it doesn’t work the same, I know I’ve been told before haha.

http://www.acoo.net/anr-tournament/206/the-yellow-king-2015-store-championship/

this results are awesome. no neh, kit on top after swiss. this proves my point from few other threads, that people are just lazy, play same decks all day long and don’t explore the game enough on their own. high five to yellow king playgroup.

and you wonder why Kit on top after Swiss. look i’m all for people playing different stuff, but first of all this is the wrong thread and second of all this doesn’t prove that Kit is tier 1.

4 Likes

So, at the danger of derailing this thread further - what were your lists in the last, let’s say three tournaments you participated in?

but proves its tournament viable (see beginning of this discussion) and to some degree shows my point that adding 5 more inf would make her broken (instead of just tier 1). that’s all.

this is not about me. this is about groupthinking and tendencies of vast majority of players. i accept that most of them netdeck winning lists. i dont like that they do that, due to the fact that meta becomes stale and boring. ccgs before internet era were way more engaging and interesting. miss that times.

and yea, lets focus on topic. im trying at least :wink:

As a guy who played both Netrunner CCG and MTG during the Black Summer and the Combo Winter, I’m sorry to say that but I strongly disagree with you.

8 Likes

You aren’t alone. She should have 12, and I don’t think she’d be broken with 15. I’ve mainly played Kit since I started, and I always ask what I’d with the extra 2 influence. Invariably it goes to increasing consistency (3 vs. 2 legwork), and I don’t believe this could be game-breaking.

1-2 credits per turn is just ridiculously strong. Instant drip econ with few dependencies (i.e. while doing something you’d already be doing) is no joke. Competing with that economic consistency is an uphill battle. Kit with 15 would not, in my humble opinion, auto-trump Kate.

That said, I somewhat enjoy the challenge of 10 influence in Kit. You feel like you’re walking on a razor’s edge in deck construction, which is fantastic.

4 Likes

Did I log in in my sleep and post under a different name? I have the exact same preferences. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I do worry that the Opus button is being subtly nerfed over time by a combination of 1) increased competition from ever-more-powerful event econ cards, and 2) increasingly faster corp escalation of pressure. I believe the main benefit of opus econs now is the leeway they provide in deck building. Put simply, fewer cards are required to support your econ, thus more cards that support the main game plan replace them (note, that I understand that SMCs and test runs are necessary for consistency, but I’d argue that these are generally applicable in many shaper decks). This is non-trivial, and is the reason I’ve always gravitated to opus econs. However, unless the game slows down (hi clot!), I’m not sure opus provides a tempo (even long-term) that’s much better than some of the alternatives.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, but it is nice to find a fellow opus-er.

lots of new options for additional clicks. I find with 5 clicks opus gets pretty bananas.

Here are how I would Influence Runners using my 12/15/17 system.

Ed: 17 (+2)
MaxX: 15
Noise: 15
Quetzal: 15
Whizzard: 15
Reina: 17
Valencia: 17 (+2)
Andy: 15
Gabe: 15
Iain: 12 (+2)
Ken: 17
Leela: 15
Silhouette: 17 (+2)
CT: 15
Exile: 17 (+2)
Kate: 15
Nasir: 15
Kit: 12 (+2)
The Professor: 1

IMO Ed’s ability is problematic in that it is inflexible. If it functioned like Imp, he would be fine at 15. I consider it worse than Whizzard’s ability, and this is likely controversial. With her mandatory deck size, I think Valencia is justified at 17 influence. I still consider her ability a bit weak, especially considering the Corp has ways to completely blank her. Iain has a powerful ability, but should have at least had 12. I don’t think any ID should be limited to 10 influence. Silhouette is only playable for her reduced deck size, IMO. More influence would mean even higher influence density and might allow for another really aggro Criminal. I don’t feel Exile needs explanation; he is worse than Kate and needs the influence to make his ability worthwhile. I conservatively put Kit at 12, but with 0 link I think she’d be okay at 15.

1 Like

If it functioned like Imp he would be strictly superior to Whizzard by being able to trash anything Whizzard can and more. He would also have +1 link. I think that’s obvious power creep.

4 Likes

I think it’s the choice when you can trash. As is you trash the first operation you hit, so you would hit a Hedge and then not be able to do anything about that Scorch you saw after. Ice, assets, and agendas still functions normally.

1 Like

Ahh ok, I misunderstood then. I’m not sure if that would be much of an improvement for Kim. Corp decks (CI excluded) typically don’t have that many operations, crucial pieces as they tend to be. So having the choice to not trash the first operation you access might not make much of a difference.

1 Like

Agreed. Kim’s ability is forcing you to do what is the right thing 90% of the time. Heck, he might have a higher win rate as written then if has worded as a once per turn choice. Sure, from an abstract position, he would be stronger, but people tend to conserve that sort of thing way to much.

1 Like

I think Whizzard should have 17 influence. Against certain decks, he’s completely blank (okay so they’ll still have Jackson but that’s about it).

I disagree, he’s not weak enough to be considered a niche ability, sure he is more or less blank sometimes but I’d argue it’s not often enough to warrant 17 influence

the thing about IDs like whizzard is they are dramatically more powerful than they would be if they were more widely applicable. 3 credits a turns is bonkers if the corp is running high trash cost stuff - many assets runners don’t even consider trashing are easy prey with 3 free credits a turn.

I think higher influence needs to be reserved for IDs that are relatively weak or have a very narrow purveiw: Ken and Titan are 2 great examples; they certainly have some strong uses, but there’s a limit to the number of cards you can put in a deck that actually work with their ability, and even those that do aren’t often dramatically better.

Whizzard is not a weak ability: it’s a narrow one. it also does not need cards to work with it; whever you have an anarch deck that doesn’t “need” one of the other IDs, you can just plug it into Whizzard and his ability will do the work for itself!

3 Likes