Introducing NISEI - A fan organization dedicated to continuing Netrunner

I’m happy to help out with designing/formatting stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you for making this happen so fast :slight_smile: Up for event organization and community management, already signed up via the sheet.

NISEI MK III! :wink: This one does not end the run ;D

6 Likes

I think so. It’s a reference to the game, and it is not being used in a disrespectful manner. Bonus points, it means “second generation.”

6 Likes

All very true, but I’m not sure that respectfulness and good intentions are enough. Our use of cultural signifiers can have unintended consequences. (I’m reminded of the argument that polyamorous folks are unwittingly and indirectly contributing to polynesian erasure through the use of the word “poly.”) I dunno, just a thought.

2 Likes

How is the word Nisei typically used in Japanese-American culture?

Regardless of what we name this organization, I’m glad it’s happening.

2 Likes

Like Orbital_Tangent says, it means “second generation” and refers to the children of Japanese immigrants. I am not of Japanese descent myself and don’t claim to be an authority, but from what I can tell it’s a pretty important identity (possibly in part due to their history in the US).

1 Like

So, I do think that this is a valid concern. Let me just say that right out. Cultural erasure and fetishism is not cool.

In this case, however, I think that the usage is fine. It’s a reference back to the game/fiction (The Nisei Project, Nisei MKII, Nisei Division, Caprice Nisei, Akiko Nisei) which took great pains to display that Jinteki was a Japanese company without being overly fetishistic or othering them.

7 Likes

Sounds really good, I look forward to seeing how things evolve.

2 Likes

This is awesome and I’m excited to see things evolving in this direction. Thank you to everyone who is contributing their time and enthusiasm, and everyone who will be doing so in the days ahead.

2 Likes

I applaud the idea and am glad people are stepping up (and that they are the people they are, rock stars).

I’m hoping that the discussion is held in a somewhat open manner. By this I mean, not in slack. Slack ruined stimhack, I’m concerned that it could ruin NISEI.

Is openness of the process a goal? Or is this really more intended to take a dream team and have them hand out edicts? There would be some advantages to that way I suppose.

7 Likes

Yes, using an open process is a core goal of NISEI. You can check our FAQ, Mission Statement, and organizational structure for more information.

5 Likes

Just came here to say this is absolutely awesome and the committee looks perfect. Looking forward to this and more than happy to send my $15 of datapack money your way once a month.

3 Likes

Glad to have you on board :slight_smile: It is a non-profit project so you can hold on to that cash though!

1 Like

I’d also be interested in design/rules position.

3 Likes

Awesome! Keep an eye out as we will be further detailing the application process in the near future :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can offer you a unique testing group. I’m a Danish boarding school teacher. I’m teaching Android: Netrunner as an elective for new students every year. Our testing group would then always consist of beginners.

13 Likes

Well hot damn. Can you DM me on slack or twitter?

5 Likes

Me and my friends from Genoa, Italy (we are about 15 players) will be glad to help. Always be running.

3 Likes

Good to see this. As someone who has been around LCGs/CCGs since close to the beginning and been involved in virtual cards and players organisations it looks to me like you’re replicating the successful endeavours.

Focusing on organised play and keeping the community going through prize support, up to date rulings, an active central body that commands respect and so on is absolutely the place to start.

Although everyone will start pushing for virtual cards they can be divisive and a real resource sink. It is perfectly possible to continue without them (e.g. Council of Elrond for the old Middle Earth CCG which is now, what, 18 years old and still active).

I’m happy to provide what insights I have gleaned from not dying over an extended period with the caveat that I am an enthusiastic if unskilled player of Netrunner.

8 Likes

I am excited to see where this goes and what people suggest. As someone who has never played a card game after it was discontinued, I don’t have a clue how to organize and run a player committee like this, but it does make sense to me that we need a centralized authority that everyone can agree upon and support in order for the endeavor to succeed. Looking forward to learning more so maybe I can sustain my interest in this amazing game.

3 Likes