Is anyone *happy* to run Same Old Thing?

3 time in 7 rounds. One more during the warmup tournament.

1 Like

Im still amazed that you guys donā€™t miss the econ from dropping SoT. Sure gamble was one of the most SoTā€™d events for me. And the makers eye is still better vs NEH. SoT 4 lyfe

3 Likes

I do and this year at worlds my SoT was used more often on Gamble/Laundry than on levy/Legwork.

But if I could cut SoT for better cards, it will also help me to win BEFORE I need to drop a same old Gamble ;).

2 Likes

Some games, I had to get that econ first. Had some rough draws, even with card draw. Price of Shaper at times. Was honestly surprised the deck did as well as it did.

Power creep. As newer cards arrive boosting the relative value per click, sot value only increases with new events, so v the relative value declines.

Fancy way of saying that cards like legwork, lucky find are more valuable and hence decreasing available deck slots for sot.

That said sot gives you some interesting tells at the table.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to run them, my Ken Tenma deck runs three SoT because it gives me a lot flexibility to play an event from hand then combo it with another from heap, click one account siphon which fails intentionally followed up by a SoT makers eye into undefended R&D for example. Running 3 SoT have made my deck significantly faster as well, eliminating the need to draw into additionally events and breakers. Iā€™ve been using my first SoT that I draw every game to replay my first special order, it means I typically have a full rig by turn 3 at the latest. Also I donā€™t see how playing out SoT is a tempo hit, I play them on my last click when I would usually click for a credit or draw a card and itā€™s far more useful than either of those two actions. I guess if you play it out of hand itā€™s a bit of a hit but I never do that soā€¦

I like SoT in Criminal for extra versatility, but Iā€™m not sure if 2 or 3 is the right call. You have extra copies of Emergency Shutdown for Blue Sun, Influtration for PE, extra Legworks for CI and NEH (as well as extra Indexing/Makerā€™s Eye). Possibly even Deja Vuā€™s if Uncorroderable and heavy program trashing decks become too popular. As well as what others have posted: recurring econ/special orders.

The Corp meta is too diverse, so I like it as a way to recur the right events.

3 Likes

I like a powerhouse event like Account Siphon or indexing, something that is almost unequivocally worth playing even at +1 click against almost every match-up. Itā€™s a card Iā€™m hoping to hit the table ASAP, so downtime before SoT is reduced, it gives me a staple to be able to spam if need be, and then as the events matriculate in, I have an expanding arsenal of threats at my disposal.

Also, Itā€™s almost embarrassing how often SoT+inside job works against me :confused:

I am happy to run Same Old Thing for my Criminal bag of tricks in Gabe.

I love being able to Emergency Shutdown or Inside job out of nowhere. Hitting an extra account siphon in is still pretty nice, even though it isnā€™t as punishing as before. (Being at zero in bluesun = OH NO GUESS Iā€™LL JUST PULL BACK THIS CURTAIN WALL)

That being said though, I might finally go down to just using 2 of them instead of 3, Theyā€™re still really good, but theyā€™re slower. I almost preferred Deja Vuā€™ing them back into hand as Anarch just to save the clickā€¦ I donā€™t even know what Iā€™d add in itā€™s replacement atm, but there are plenty of things to look at for sure.

I have gone down to two, only because the usage factor has gone down to such a point where, when you make that big power run, or run session, those 2 clicks needed are getting hard to come by, SOT carded runs just arenā€™t as convenient as they used to be, and obviously because we have more quality options for carded runs now, instead of just 3 Makerā€™s Eye, or 3 Inside Job (6 data packs ago lifestyle)ā€¦

I often want as much of it as possible in my Kate PPVP decks, sometimes even for Scavenge.

What about itā€™s power in Noise Aesopā€™s decks. In mine the only three targets are Deja Vu, Stimhack, and Scrubbed, but thatā€™s enough to make me want 3.

With that being said, I can only fit 2 in any Runner build, and even that is tough.

Could part of the decline of SoT be a result of the popularity of ELP and RP? Iā€™ve just increasingly found the click investment too much and while it wasnā€™t a conscious reaction to ELP, it seemed to correspond with the popularity of ELP decks.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s correct - SoTing a run event means youā€™re still paying the same two clicks you would be paying because of ELP, only now youā€™re getting an effect for your troubles.

SoTing non-run events during a turn when you actually intend to run, thatā€™s more of a problem.

3 Likes