Issues with Organized Play

I personally like the no note taking rule. I feel like the game is already very high variance with similarly skilled players, so having one more thing in the game that allows you to have an advantage is a good thing. Also you barely even have anything to memorize. The only cards you see are through RD and HQ accesses (maybe the occasional face-down upgrade or asset) so it’s not a lot to keep track of.

6 Likes

I read this post three times, for a total of three lols.
Amen.

/rant.exe

I like to watch Team Covenant’s Wednesday stream when I can, but that compulsive hand shuffling and general anxious twitching every player seems to have are unbearable. I know at least one person has cited hand activity as being linked with increased brain activity, and that’s all well and good, but that’s not why these players do it. It’s just a compulsion and goddamn if it ain’t aggravating. Shuffling your hand on occasion, okay, sure. Shuffling your hand compulsively, rearranging cards on the board, and generally acting like you are on cocaine? Consider this venting, but it’s really unbearable. I personally lay my own hand face down on the table during my opponent’s turn and give them my full, undivided attention. I am so polite.

Seriously, though, do many of you encounter this behavior in your LGS? Are many of you perpetrators of this behavior? For shame.

It’s nothing new either; it’s always been around in MTG and other card games. I thought Netrunner players were chill, guys. We may have to admit that is no longer the case…

1 Like

When I got to the end of this paragraph I was like… this guy is so polite.

9 Likes

I was guilty of it during my competitive mtg days too. Oddly enough I think it is because ANR requires so much thinking that I don’t do it. To each his/her own, it just seems like those covenant players do it to the nth degree. I think I may invest in a weird mask and wear that to play netrunner, set my cards down and stare at my opponent on their turn. :wink:

http://imgur.com/BCvO73n

So polite

2 Likes

Always thought people did that to shuffle the order of cards in their hand so the other player can’t guess what card they’re installing.

Sign me up for one of those bad boys.

This is why I do it. I don’t shuffle at “jackrabbit on cocaine” speed, though, so hopefully it’s not distracting.

1 Like

Am I a terrible person if it really annoys me when I’m watching a video (most recent incident is when I watched the Quetzal testing on here), but I do it in person and don’t mind it in person? I think something about video, especially when you can hear it, really makes it more annoying than it actually is.

1 Like

I just put my hands in my crotch when it’s not my turn, rocking back and forth, moaning ever so audibly.

Is that preferable?

(also, why is this in the ‘Issues with OP’ thread?)

5 Likes

didn’t feel it justified its own topic; falls enough under this one

And that, my friend, was your grave miscalculation.

1 Like

Oh for the love of… Notes? Are you guys serious? I can understand note-taking a little bit more in Magic, since all that’s going on is you have a few faceup cards in the discard pile, and a few faceup cards on the table, and the position of the faceup cards on the table is mostly irrelevant. (Actually, considering the sloppy piles of cards I always see, other than tapping for mana, the position of the cards is apparently completely irrelevant) Compare that to Netrunner, where the position of the cards is extremely important…

If you want to realize how ridiculous the idea of note-taking in Netrunner is, just imagine this scenario:

You’re playing HB Glacier. There’s about eight pieces of face-down ICE on the board. Every time your opponent encounters a new piece of ICE, he or she has to read the card thoroughly, transcribe all information about the ICE onto a sheet of paper, and then also take the time to draw up a little diagram showing it’s relative position on the board. Then, every time they access your hand, they have to read every single card carefully, jot it down, and then scribble it out if they steal it or your play it…

As complicated as the Netrunner board state is, and as quickly as cards cycle in and out of R&D/HQ and move around the board, I don’t really see how note-taking would be feasible in anything but the most fluff-bunny of casual games.

The fact that you can’t be arsed to learn the cardpool is not my problem, and it shouldn’t make our games take three hours.

Also, that ob-comp card shuffling is really annoying.

Also also: @Spags : That’s a horrifying mental image.

1 Like

[quote=“spags, post:52, topic:1904, full:true”]Is that preferable?
[/quote]

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!
Just the thought of you rocking, ever so slowly, moaning in the most soothing of tones makes me wish I was playing Netrunner right now… Dirty boy :wink:

Let’s play would you rather:

Would you rather your opponent shuffles his hand through the match or have every opponent shuffle your deck any time you shuffle your deck (start of game, searching your deck, jackson howard)?

2 Likes

Why not both? Sounds so good.

2 Likes

I don’t believe your opponent is entitled to shuffling, only cutting. Maybe I am mistaken. In either case, the latter.

You’re playing HB Glacier. There’s about eight pieces of face-down ICE on the board. Every time your opponent encounters a new piece of ICE, he or she has to read the card thoroughly, transcribe all information about the ICE onto a sheet of paper, and then also take the time to draw up a little diagram showing it’s relative position on the board. Then, every time they access your hand, they have to read every single card carefully, jot it down, and then scribble it out if they steal it or your play it…

That’s completely ridiculous. First of all, no one is assuming that players would use notes instead of remembering what the cards do. No one would be writing down all the text on a card, and if they were you’d call a judge for slow play. Second, if you are seeing the ICE, it’s probably because they are rezzing it, so you wont need notes.

If note taking were allowed it’d be used to by the runner to keep track of what may or may not be in heir hand or for keeping track of Indexings. In terms of slow play, I probably wouldn’t be writting out “Biotic Labor” or “Astroscript Pilot Program” every time, I’d probably be using some kind of short hand like “BL” or “APP”, you know, how we refer to them on the internet. Honestly, I think the only thing I would regularly use notes for Indexing and counting how many cards I don’t know about after a leg work so I have a good idea of when you Leg work again (and honestly, just Indexing most of the time). I’d prefer that since I do stupid stuff with Indexing all the time, and I don’t think it would be a big deal. The other thing that I would like about it is that it would give me a better tool for keeping track of my opponent’s money. It’s just helpful to prevent cheating, intentional or otherwise.

My biggest gripe is definitely the prize support. I get that they can’t/ don’t want to give cash prizes, but it would be nice to be rewarded for putting so much time and effort into this game. I feel like they could do extremely limited supply runs of alt art cards for specific tournaments and just give them only to the top performers at big events, something like: 1st place at worlds and other large events gets 16, 2nd gets 8, 3-4th gets 4, 5-8th gets 2, 9-16th get 1. Judging by what the Eli 1.0 Alt art cards can sell for, this would give the players an actual modest reward that could help cover their costs without FFG having to pay out cash prizes.

3 Likes

Oh, they aren’t soothing.

World Champ Jens is one of the few opponents I’ve played (Hinkes may be another) who shuffles every time. I used to do that when I played L5R. Should bring it back just for the annoyance factor.

You should know all the cards and their details. Just like any warrior or hacker has to know the components they are working with. This IS a skill.

You should also be able to play at a reasonable pace. The amount of “thinking” some players engage in is atrocious and borders on unsporting conduct. Especially when it means games can’t be completed within the time limit. There are zero decks that can’t be piloted in a half hour.

Scouting is also bad for the game. It’s one thing to watch after being eliminated, it’s another to scope out opponents outside of your match with them.

If you can’t do right in these ways then you have no business winning a tournament or even showing up.

I’ll be that jerk.

2 Likes

Except one of the earlier posters in this thread said he’d love to take notes because he can’t be bothered to remember what all the cards did, or something to that effect. There are, in fact, people out there who would use notes instead of remembering what the cards do.

1 Like

It is definitely annoying to some people. I’ve always shuffled my opponent’s deck, just because I don’t trust anyone. If it annoys them, that’s on them.

EDIT: I don’t do it for every deck search etc. though. Maybe I should for consistency’s sake.

1 Like