It's not that hard, and she's pretty hardcore - Leela Patel

is there a rules reason why no one in this thread has explored notoriety?

After a few games, I’m liking Leela. The lack of consistency is rough, and I want to fiddle with her more, but I think that locally (with primarily Blue Sun, PE, and NEH) she’ll be pretty dang useful.

Here’s the list I’ve been testing on OCTGN, and which I hope to sleeve up. Still kinda want to fit a Feint in somewhere.

Cyclops Smash

Leela Patel: Trained Pragmatist (All That Remains)

Event (19)

Hardware (6)

Resource (9)

Icebreaker (8)

Program (3)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Leela triggers off of stealing, and you don’t steal Notoriety—you just “add it to your score area as an agenda.”

it says on the card “whenever an agenda is scored or stolen”

And Notoriety is neither scored nor stolen, just added. Same with Shi.Kyu – it doesn’t trigger PE’s ability either.

1 Like

I’m almost positive it doesn’t trigger her ability. Leela does wreck domestic sleepers though.

I think the key is that Notoriety isn’t an Agenda, but is rather a card added (not scored) to your score area worth agenda points. AFAIK Runners can never ‘score’

Feint + False Echo.

Just sayin’ (but not really).

So Feint is good huh? I totally dig that! I can’t wait to test this ID Wednesday.

2 Likes

Feint is good but not necessarily 3x good. When the ice gets out of hand, it guarantees a shutdown. So while it may not get a whole lot of leverage sometimes, it can be a miracle against a troublesome Janus or Tollbooth.

I’m also looking for a slot for 1x vamp, if anyone has a suggestion. Econ is good enough to make it work here

oh well, that would have been neat:

Score (verb): The act of the
Corporation turning an installed
agenda faceup and adding it to his score
area. An agenda must have at least as
many advancement tokens on it as its
advancement requirement to be scored.

It’s too bad as it would have at least given the runner some amount of control beyond what normally occurs in a given game over her ability. I reckon it just proved to be too much in testing (shrug)

at least it works well with parasite, that card could use a bit more table-time.

I’m honestly wondering if Crescentus isn’t better here than Shutdown. It makes it far less reliant on hitting HQ, which people tend to ice up when they see blue runners hit the table anyway. Might be worth it maybe in addition to, at least.

The first iteration of the deck had Crescentus, and it just wasnt good enough. Sneakdoor would go in way, way before Crescentus.

2 Likes

anyone tried snitch with leela yet? scout the ice and build your rig and make sure you don’t bounce the wrong ice when the time comes.

I’m curious to hear more reports of the glacier matchups, since those are, in all likeliness, the new hotness on the horizon.

It seems to me that Leela’s job is to leverage the Criminal repertoire of tricks into a handful of ‘sure’ accesses. (i.e. a timely legwork, indexing, what-have-you), and to let her ability delicately snowball the board state. Sneakdoor seems golden here for that purpose, since you want as many different ways to get into HQ as possible. (Feint, Inside Job and Sneakdoor make a pretty good trifecta for making sure an Emergency Shutdown can land).

How effective is her ability when the corp triggers it?

The rule is that you shouldn’t play notoriety

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with the indexing version of Leela instead of RDIs or Maker’s Eye. Part of that is it lets you time her ability a little better. I’ve been toying with Kraken in place of shutdown since it is nice to trash ice, but that is a little too cute with the indexing combo. Think I’ll just go back to Shutdown. I ended up removing Sneakdoor because I’d much rather have Garrote in which case I get MU jammed pretty easily.

Vamp seems very good with her, but I’m also unsure where to fit it in. I right now have 2 Corroder, 2 Indexing, 2 Lucky Find, 1 Stimhack. I use Mr. Li for draws, though that could also be a John Masanori I think. Breakers are Corroder/Rex/Faerie/Garrote/Passport/Crypsis. This is far from optimal, but I’ve somehow been doing okay with it. If I’m building her for glaciers, not having Parasite seems like a bad idea. Same with no Kati Jones (I used Armitage since I originally built her around trying to Siphon spam and floating tags…might go back though). Maybe -2 Indexing, -1 Lucky Find, +2 Parasite, +2 RDI/Maker’s Eye?

Wondering if DLR might be an option worth exploring with her. It seems like one of her key challenges is the inability to fully control when her ability triggers - but dumping cards into Archives means that you might be able to go get them a turn or two later (don’t wait too long because Jackson) on click 1, leaving the rest of your turn to leverage the opening from your ability.

It really depends. Obviously three pointers are a big deal, as they are against any deck. A scored Pri Req is the worst possible case for Leela. If you Shutdown a Curtain Wall earlier hoping to lift it with the next stolen or scored agenda, you are out of luck.

On the other hand, Breaking News and Hostile Takeovers are golden tickets to Siphon-Town. NEH scoring an Astro can be better news for Leela than other identities if you can lift a piece of ice and follow with a Legwork/Siphon. It really makes Fast Advance decks think a little harder about what could happen after an easy agenda is pushed through. The biggest exception is ABT. Leela hates that working out. Glacier decks are trouble, but the trick against glacier is, and always will be, keeping the Corp poor. Spending one or two credits to re-install the ice, and then re-rez them gets expensive.

It seems like, in theory, whether you choose event based or Hardware based multi-access depends on the matchup. Against glacier, the game is slower so the hardware is more useful while the events can easily dry up. Setting up the hardware is much too slow for FA, but a well timed event can be a game changer. We really need to find a way to have the best of both worlds.

In theory, I think Box-E is also a decent choice for a console, as the MU can support Sneakdoor, Torch/Gordian, Garrote, and Corroder. Shore up your offence with temp breakers like Fairie and Rex until the main breaker rears its head. You might be able to get away with switching out Femme with Garrote and Passport with Torch/Gordian to save influence. Then Rex and Passport can be out at the same time. You’ll just need to focus on shutting down and lifting the code gates in the remote at the risk of running out of Rexes. The first special order is for Corroder, and bring out the others as the temps start to dry up. Meanwhile the extra hand size allows Leela to hang onto those powerful events until the moment is right. I foresee money issues, but if any faction can get around it, it is Criminal.

But i want so badly to be validated!

Everybody in the net, all eyes on me