Jinteki.net - A deck builder and (soon) game play in the browser

thats all true, but do u have any plan for highly possible cease and desist request?

i love the work u put into this, would be real shame to put this all into archives.

1 Like

I agree with that. This seems like a great idea and I know what you mean about the hassle with OCTGN card packs. However, as a web app, you’re perfectly positioned for a ‘best of both worlds’ approach. As soon as the six month are over, you can add the artwork server side and it will show up for everyone without effort on their part.

I think it’s important, though, to realize that FFG holds the rights to this game. You’ll only be able to pull this off with their (implicit) consent, so I think you have to make some effort to play by their rules. It’s great that you want to create the best game experience possible, but please consider how FFG will react to that.

1 Like

I’d really encourage you to listen to these comments. FFG have been (remarkably!) tolerant of scanned images and people playing on octgn - many companies would have shut it down by now. Sometimes lawyers in IP get trigger happy because of trademark law (‘defend it or lose it’), so we’re probably lucky to have got this far unofficially.

I’d really try to extend some courtesy to FFG, or their courtesy might come to an abrupt end too.

Just going to hop on this bandwagon as someone with legal experience and say that at a minimum I’d expect to be changing domain names.

FFG has let OCTGN remain in their good graces and I would hate to see them change their minds and (try to) shut everything down.

1 Like

Why not play your cards face up with FFG and show them what you are doing and what they think about it ?
I mean, in regard to the law, if they don’t want your program they can have it shutdown. But on the other hand they can be happy that their game is also played online since i don’t think it is something that would lower the success and the sales of their game but rather the other way around.

If they want to make their “own” online playing program then they will probably ask you to shut down yours. This happened with Blood bowl at some point. But they could also hire you for this ^^ like what happened to card db

2 Likes

FWIW, I got a C&D from FFG for my video of my web-based A:NR engine. Given how many similar videos exist of OCTGN gameplay, I don’t think it’s safe to say that doing what OCTGN does will keep you safe.

I think they mean to keep any new implementations from popping up, perhaps so that they have only one thing to shut down when they do their own implementation (wild speculation)?

this is why i dreamed of terminal based impl :wink: no images = safety?

I think some kind of concession has to be made to FFG here. Just because they haven’t delivered an online platform for Netrunner doesn’t mean they’re going to ignore anything anyone puts out there. As others have said, I would hate to see all the work put into a project like this (and the possibilities it provides for players) to go down the drain. As on OCTGN, give people a choice between artwork or text for the first 6 months. Personally I always go with artwork, and yes I do have to inspect the occasional card, but it’s not really that big a deal. I play the physical game and if I don’t know the text of a card my opponent plays, I ask to look at it. Takes about as much time as targeting a card and choosing “inspect”.

If you’re talking about what I remember seeing a few months ago, it was a really cool presentation of the game and would have been just fine playing it like that.

FYI, you can also see the text by mousing over a card and holding down ctrl. However you need to enable that as an option in the OCTGN options menu first.

Maybe you could implement some way to scan the barcode on data packs to show the full cards ? At least it would show to FFG that your well-intentioned.

my packs are down the trash as of today and i got all cards at least x3.

What I’d like for the deckbuilder:
Links so I can share the deck with others. Jinteki has the best hoverovers compared to Meteor and Netrunnerdb, which is great for grokking decks, but no option to share.

Apart from that, a simple no-rules mode like Cockatrice would be ace. Not like you need anything more to play.

1 Like

The Weyland Consortium has been briefed on this… (Jack Weyland) :slight_smile:

Looking forward to it! :smile:

FFG sent the cease and desist email.

I asked if you could keep the card browser and deck builder online and who i can contact at FFG to discuss a suitable solution for online gameplay as there is a demand from players.

They want the whole website down and might go after other deck builders and card browsers.

not happy this happened that fast.

oh, and cardgamedb usability sucks.

NetrunnerDB.com received a cease and desist email as well :frowning:

doing local clones asap.

Is anybody really suprise Jinteki got shut down? It was only a matter of time.

Nope. It’s happened with other engines before and it’ll happen again. Didn’t expect the collateral damage though.