Just Reminiscing

Wow, it’s been a while since I even logged into Stimhack.

I see some posts about new cards and tournaments. It looks like the NISEI project is still going! Good on them! I have to admit, I wasn’t sure if they’d pull it off. I don’t have anyone in my life anymore who plays, but how is that going? Are people having fun with the meta? How many cards have they developed by now?

And does anyone want to shoot the breeze about bygone days like old men?

My dream was to be a regional finalist, and I finally made it at the Kentucky regional, one of the very last FFG tournaments to be held. It was after the cancellation announcement! I played Sportsmetal–and this was one of the brand new cards, most people didn’t even have them yet, you’ll recall–but my qualifying match was against someone who had realized you could Shadow Net your way out of that deck, and packed one specifically to deal with me. But I outsmarted his outsmarting, specifically because I’d playtested harder than ever before for that tournament. I had packed a Best Defense! The look on his face when I blew up Shadow Net before he could get rid of any agendas…ah, everyone played well that day. Good way to go.

4 Likes

Hey there!

Thanks for sharing the anecdote, must have been a great day indeed :slight_smile:

Come on over to Green Level Clearance and find a lot of people chatting about the game and many other things around it - past, present, and future!

1 Like

Nice! Signing up.

1 Like

No idea why Discourse is reminding me about this thread now, but for anyone drifting by the Stimhack forums in 2022, NISEI did indeed launch and is still going strong:

• They produced a kickass new player product, System Gateway, with two great starter decks and 3x of every playable card. The cards in System Gateway remain exciting despite being mechanically much simpler than the earlier NISEI releases, Downfall and Uprising.
  • They resurrected a bunch of old FFG cards with System Update 2021. These are mechanically identical to the FFG cards you remember, but with all-new assets so they can be printed in case you sold up or missed some packs.
  • “Printed?” you ask? Yes. NISEI have stores on DriveThruCards and MakePlayingCards, so you can get crisp, professional-quality cards.
  • If you’re unsure about spending the money, proxies are legal in all NISEI events, so you can print your own cards from official PDFs or on ProxyNexus.
  • They’ve teased seven cards from the new Borealis Cycle with the Midnight Sun Booster Pack.
  • NISEI have an articulated vision for the game. (“Bashes” was the working title of the Borealis Cycle.) I disagree with some of its points.
  • A lot of people are playing a new “Startup” format. It’s good fun and the cardpool is tight, but it can feel a bit small, like many IDs only support one or two decks. It is however the dominant format at my local group, and currently consists of the following sets:
    • System Gateway
    • System Update 2021
    • Ashes Cycle
    • Midnight Sun Booster Pack
  • FFG product continues to rotate out of the Standard format, which is currently:
    • Order and Chaos
    • Data and Destiny
    • Mumbad Cycle
    • Flashpoint Cycle
    • Red Sand Cycle
    • Kitara Cycle
    • Reign and Reverie
    • Magnum Opus (NISEI have an alt-art pack for this, with print-at-home and print-on-demand options)
    • Ashes Cycle
    • System Gateway
    • System Update 2021
    • Midnight Sun Booster Pack
  • The eventual fate of the minifactions has not been announced. I grow increasingly nervous.
  • Discord sucked a large part of the community into real-time chat, which makes things look deader than they really are.

All that said, the metas are pretty darn healthy, so jack back in and make a run.

5 Likes