[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

I think the problem is mostly that there’s no real definitive point at which the thread becomes “recent.” 50 posts? 100 posts? 200? Hard to say. Edit: Even ifr you say “it’s 100 posts back, obviously,” well, it might not be super obvious to everyone – this is like a long, rambling conversation, even posts that have ~20 day breaks between them start by saying “Remember [this decklist] from 50 posts back? I revamped it…”

But there’s also value in a kind of quasi-archeological aspect, like ff0x notes. It’s just at the price of being unwieldy for people who are just getting into the game.

1 Like

Now it’s the Post NAPD meta,RIP PPVP Kate.What’s the future of our dear Digital Tinker?Nexus,old-style big rig or something else?Who could keep NEH under check like what she did?I think the thread needs some new blood.

I’m working on something. It isn’t ready for prime time yet.

Been testing nexus and while I need more games with it, the deck feels very strong.

Back on Proco backed up with Tech Writer/Daily Cast and event econ (Modded/DL/SG). It’s good if you hit proco fast. It’s miserable if you don’t.

Feelbad.

3 Likes

I’ve been having some success with Nexus Kit since mid-November. Ignoring the type of two ice per server is good, as it turns out. As this is a Kate forum, here’s the link to the Kit discussion:

the only lists I’ve seen other than Nexus Kate are very 2013ish Kate lists, but with tech writers thrown in. Not sure how I feel about those lists. Pro Co is super sweet (and I played pro co + ppvp, man that was nice), but cards like Lucky Find just seem so much worse without ppvp…

i miss you already kate

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been testing in Hayley recently, but - as always - the question is, maybe it’s better in Kate? It’s a modification from the “Textbook Hayley” (1st Place Medical Research Fundraiser 2015 - Textbook Hayley · NetrunnerDB)

Post MWL Technical Hayley

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (10)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
1x Modded (Core Set)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (11)
3x Aesop’s Pawnshop (Core Set)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
1x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)
3x Technical Writer (Data and Destiny)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Mimic (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)
1x ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead)

Program (9)
3x Cache (The Spaces Between) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
1x Clot (The Valley) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x Parasite (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x Scheherazade (Second Thoughts) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
9 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Somewhat similar playstyle to old PVP Kate, draw a ton and install stuff. Breaker suite is unchanged. The econ is way slower for sure, but you use up only 4 influence.

You can keep NEH somewhat in check with Clot. Sync is a pain if you’re forced to float tags too early. Butchershop on first glance is managable. Needs way more testing against Foodcoats.

Above is an MWL legal Nexus Kate deck that I had a lot of fun with last night.

New Runner Deck

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (16)

Hardware (12)

Resource (5)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (7)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

With 3x Scavenge already in the deck, why Corroder instead of 2x Lady?

1 Like

No particular reason other than to get it down to 45 cards. 2x Lady would fit happily in a 46 card version of the deck.

Remove levy / corroder > 2 Lady instead. That’s pretty easy.

5 Likes

Yeah, with an econ fueled by Magnum Opus, Levy isn’t really needed. There’s not that much in the deck you really need (or even want) to see a second time around.

I can’t tell if I’m happy or sad that everyone is turning to my (I can say my, right? I’m egotistical enough) Nexus Kate list. I’ve intentionally avoided posting any write-up about it partially because I figured someone else would be on the same track and partially because I don’t want everyone teching against it. Now that the MWL has set everyone’s sights on it anyway and every list I see is basically 2-4 cards different from @ElderMason’s published list, maybe it’s time? That or maybe everyone’s had enough time to figure it out themselves, and no one cares what I was going for when I built it.

3 Likes

I still have very positive results with my Chameleon Kate, and my old Stimhacks/Atmans/NRE and breakers and money Kate

I’ll post a list for each when I finalize them, im like 99% there on both.

The typical ‘I play unusual cards, you guys are gonna wanna change stuff, you guys love lady too much to give it up’ i assume will apply. But maybe one of you wanna try em out XD

edit, ill just post what i got now

Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB - Chameleon kate.

Dont think I have flex room I wanna change. Really its just whether i wanna keep the FC/Plas combo. Need to test more to decide.

Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB - Stimhacks kate.

Add tech to flavor. Cut DLs for it. SOT, 1x Armitage are removable for whatever you prefer.

2 Likes

Here’s the Nexus Kate I’m trying out this week. I tried to keep it as close to @ElderMason’s list (who in turn derived his from @Squash957) as possible, as I really liked the feel of it. Taking out Clot and Clone Chips just feels like conceding the Fastro matchup, which I’d rather not do, so I instead chose to take out what I felt like was the “cream” influence – Stimhack, Utopia Shard, and the already-kind-of-awkward Faust. This let me keep Lady and all 3 Clone Chips, which I think is more important to the NEH matchup than the Faust was.

Mostly Want Nexus

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (13)

Hardware (13)

Resource (6)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (7)

11 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

The extra 3 slots went towards a Scavenge (always nice with Lady) and 2 Symmetricals. I’m not sure if the Symmetricals are good or not, but I thought I’d give em a try. It gives the deck the ability to click for 2 credits with Opus or click for a card and a credit with Symmetrical.

I’m not really sure how necessary the Deus Ex is in the thing, but I’m keeping it in for now for shits. It might be better to take it out for shits instead and see how that goes, but baby steps. Baby steps.

If experience has taught me anything, its that Deus Ex is the Store Champ meta card. People seem to lose their fucking minds to play jinteki during SC and only during SC. o.O

1 Like

I’m curious why people believe that nexus is better in Kate, than in Kit. My argument to the contrary is stated here:

Link is valid. Influence is valid. But in this deck, I don’t see Kate’s discount being that meaningful (see the link). Are Kit’s advantages not enough to overcome the link + influence issues?

Yeah, I saw that. I’m honestly not sure. I wanted to give the Kate deck a go for a while and then switch to Kit and see what it felt like. I kinda hope that Kit turns out to be the best fit, mostly because Kate just feels like kinda a boring ability.