[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Plascrete is necessary. With just Critic it seems too easy for them to 24/7 you. I don’t think you can keep them off BN+agenda for the entire game, when they are putting cards behind ravens, putting 2 agendas out to tax critic, etc.

I like 1 clot 1 critic 2 plascrete if you think there will be enough haarp. If not much haarp, can probably just play the 1 clot.

3 Likes

Why sac-con over a second plascrete? It can save plascrete from shattered remains, but having a second in hand seems to have the same effect, and increases your odds of seeing at least one. I guess sac con can help against program trashers, but I haven’t had any trouble with those lately, and don’t see any other benefit to it over the second plascrete.

I was on 2 Plas, 1 SacCon, 0 Film at Worlds.

Saw zero Haarp. :\

5 Likes

It’s very useful with Clot in the FA matchup.

4 Likes

Approximately every other corp on SHL Jinteki is some form of Butchershop.

3 Likes

This. It’s a card that also can be used in other match-ups. Having two Plas just feels like total shit.

2 Likes

We ended up on 1 film critic, 1 plas - and lots of experience vs haarp. I played one on the day and the deck drew well. No plas just doesn’t work, but more than 1 is ruining the deck IMO.

2 Likes

Agreed. I was a coward. Should’ve been a Sharpshooter. :\

2 Likes

Why no astrolabe instead of mem chip? It served me well.
Also is the deck in the OP the final draft?

1 Like

The deck in the OP is a year and half old, and doesn’t have astrolabe because the card wasn’t released then.

3 Likes

It turns out that over two thousand posts have been made since that post =P

Anyhow, aside from that, what do people think of the Nexus Kate deck that was featured on the HAC ANRPC stream the other day? When I originally saw the NRDB post on a similar deck a while back, I’ll be honest that I kind of dismissed it. After seeing it being played on stream and taking down Foodcoats like it was standing still, I got excited. It seems like it’s actually a deck, and actually good.

I haven’t experimented with it too much, and haven’t played/seen it played against NEH Fastro, but I’ve liked the games I’ve used it in. Here’s the list, and here’s a Youtube upload of the HAC ANRPC stream it was being played on, if you want to see it in action. It was the only Kate deck on stream, so look for Kate.

Nexus Kate v2.0

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (13)

Hardware (13)

Resource (5)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (7)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

It sounds solid. Sunny’s issue has been using her breakers is too costly and there’s not much of a way around it, but Nexus and a handful of link makes running pass one piece of ice free or at worse dropping a tag. Throw it in Kate and get Shaper grade money and completely ignore problematic ice, saving your toys for other things.

1 Like

It’s a good deck. I think it’s better than PPVP Kate against Glacier, but weaker against NEH FA.

1 Like

Out of curiosity why is Faust in there?

1 Like

Faust is an anti-FA tool. The deck has a million draw cards anyway so Faust works to get through stupid, dinky etr like enigma and quandry if you are in dire straights.

Also it should be -1 Lady +1 CyCy. I forgot to change before publishing.

Oh yeah, you even said that in the NRDB description. I’ll edit it in the decklist above.

Sick deck, btw

2 Likes

Thanks. Most of the credit goes to @Squash957. He came up with the skeleton; I just made it better.

Can anyone share a an up-to-date version of this?

I ran this only difference being -1 chip +1 astrolabe (flat-out better) and I absolutely love it. Just want to make sure I’m not missing better cards from the newer data packs.

Start with the PPVP Kate lists from recent tournaments to check out the most recent evolution of the shell. E.g. worlds: Worlds Championship 2015 - Android Netrunner - Acoo

4th place is a bit nonstandard but Noah did well with it.

More standard list is 10th place.

Edit: I put together a comparison of some top Kates from the PSI Games. You might find it useful to see how some of the slots vary.

1 Like