[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Thanks but I wouldn’t call those newer versions of this deck, I’d call them different decks.

I played them and I like this version so much better than the current meta kate decks. Judging by the things being run currently the deck doesn’t need any updating in my eyes, apart from -1 chip, +1 astrolabe and film critic/clot to taste.

Oh, have you been playing the Lysander Atman/Knight deck from post 1 and finding it good in this meta? Interesting. I think it’s up to you to update the list then. Follow up with your findings please!

1 Like

You’re just asking to get hosed by a CVS relying that heavily on suckers.

Also,Turings also gotta hurt when you can only parasuck them.

I’ve tried the Nexus-list a couple of times and it has worked well against both glacier and fastro, but like Sirris said regular PPVP-Kate is probably better against the latter. I also dismissed it at first as it seems very slow to set up, but it’s way faster at that then it appeared to me.
I never installed Faust in the few games I played with it so I am now trying with parasite instead and switched out Utopia Shard for another stimhack.

1 Like

I have struggled against turing (one game my opponent had 3 out). It was very close but knight and eventually a fed atman pulled me through just fine.

Wraparound is also a problem, faced double copies twice and went one win one loss. Point is I think the benefits of the breaker suite in the OP outweight the drawbacks.

I’m a new player (started about a week ago), but I’ve tried kate nexus, modern kate and this deck along with many others and this is the only runner deck with which I have an over 50% win rate over 7+ games.

But they both can’t break Turing?

Also, maybe people have just forgotten how to play against Knight. I think that if people don’t “overwrite” the ICE Knight is on soon, it is still a very strong breaker.

Pardon you’re right. Must have been the fact you can’t protect rnd, hq, archives AND your scoring server even if you draw all 3 turings. Still though even if you can easly get into the scoring server I don’t fancy my chances against a opponent walling of all 3 centrals with turing.

However theres at least 2 popular anti-AI ice with different types I’m aware of, so instead of trying to tech vs all of it I’ll stick to this engine and rely on parasite/them not icing all centrals with turing before I can kill at least 1.

Out of curiosity how would you play against knight? What do you mean when you say overwrite?

He means trashing the ICE that the Knight is on and installing an ICE into that server. Remember that you can trash any ICE in a server you’re installing in to reduce install costs. In this case, he just means trashing the one with the Knight. You can do a similar thing with an ICE about to die to Parasite.

Basically, if Knight is, at the end of the Runner’s turn, hosted on a) cheap ICE or b) unrezzed ICE, it is almost always a good idea to install another ICE on that server, trashing the ICE Knight is hosted on. Recurring Knight sucks, because you need to find a Clone Chip or similar (a Clone Chip that you won’t use for Parasite), and then you need to move it with clicks to avoid having it trashed again.

When facechecking ICE, your turn will often need to be
Click 1: Host Knight on unrezzed ICE
Click 2: Run that server
Click 3: Host Knight on expensive ICE/Architect so the corp doesn’t just trash the (maybe even unrezzed) ICE

This costs you an insane amount of tempo.

2 Likes

Just want to pop in here and say that it might be time to start a new thread. 2000+ posts is an awful lot for a new reader to sort through, and some of this information isn’t even relevant anymore due to shifts in the meta.

4 Likes

it’s not difficult to scroll to say, the most recent 100 or 50 posts
who is this hypotheical player who thinks they should read the entire thread?

2 Likes

I think this thread is actually quite cool, since you can see the evolution of a very successful deck archetype. I am certainly looking forward to the time, when another year has passed and see which happened.

6 Likes

I think the problem is mostly that there’s no real definitive point at which the thread becomes “recent.” 50 posts? 100 posts? 200? Hard to say. Edit: Even ifr you say “it’s 100 posts back, obviously,” well, it might not be super obvious to everyone – this is like a long, rambling conversation, even posts that have ~20 day breaks between them start by saying “Remember [this decklist] from 50 posts back? I revamped it…”

But there’s also value in a kind of quasi-archeological aspect, like ff0x notes. It’s just at the price of being unwieldy for people who are just getting into the game.

1 Like

Now it’s the Post NAPD meta,RIP PPVP Kate.What’s the future of our dear Digital Tinker?Nexus,old-style big rig or something else?Who could keep NEH under check like what she did?I think the thread needs some new blood.

I’m working on something. It isn’t ready for prime time yet.

Been testing nexus and while I need more games with it, the deck feels very strong.

Back on Proco backed up with Tech Writer/Daily Cast and event econ (Modded/DL/SG). It’s good if you hit proco fast. It’s miserable if you don’t.

Feelbad.

3 Likes

I’ve been having some success with Nexus Kit since mid-November. Ignoring the type of two ice per server is good, as it turns out. As this is a Kate forum, here’s the link to the Kit discussion:

the only lists I’ve seen other than Nexus Kate are very 2013ish Kate lists, but with tech writers thrown in. Not sure how I feel about those lists. Pro Co is super sweet (and I played pro co + ppvp, man that was nice), but cards like Lucky Find just seem so much worse without ppvp…