[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

But it’s an econ engine without a deck around it after that.

3 Likes

I think MOpus is quite bad, it will never pay of in fast games and the 2MU can be used for better things.
Also having to tutor for it (it WILL happen sometimes) is really inefficient. Better to have lots of econ cards in your deck, and just drawing them.

Best econ package for Shaper now is IMO armitage codebusting for the burst + aesop to sell some stuff and Kati as ‘investment econ’. I think Haley works best with this, so is the best shaper now… I feel.

2 Likes

The list I posted upthread has been fine in testing with minor variations. I haven’t worked hard at refining it because I just got tired of playing Kate. It’s worse than pre-MWL against fast decks, but so are the other versions (ProCo, Stealth…). If you get anywhere near playing Levy, it feels almost as broken as the old version.

It should have the third Tech Writer, though. You really want that card early on if you can get one.

1 Like

Kate (46)

Event (17)
3 Diesel
3 Dirty Laundry
1 Legwork ●​●​
1 Levy AR Lab Access
1 Modded
2 Quality Time
1 Scavenge
3 Sure Gamble
2 The Maker’s Eye
Hardware (9)
2 Astrolabe
2 Clone Chip ○​○​
3 Prepaid VoicePAD ○​○​○​
2 R&D Interface
Program (12)
1 Atman
1 Cerberus “Lady” H1 ○​
1 Clot ●​●​
2 Cyber-Cypher
1 Datasucker ●​
1 Inti
1 Mimic ●​
1 Parasite ●​●​○​
2 Self-modifying Code
1 Sharpshooter
Resource (8)
3 Daily Casts
1 Film Critic
1 Symmetrical Visage
3 Technical Writer

This is my ppvp so far. I just get rid of lucky find and put in tech writer and baby. I have tested it a couple games against @lucasli on NEH, it is good enough.

Daily cast has been great for me pre-MWL so I really like to keep them. I want to play 3 Quality Time and test run but I also like modded =[ .
In a world without grail I would just swap datasucker and parasite with david, replace cycy with gordian. Then i will have more slots for modded and the econ will be fine enough.
Unfortunately grail RP is hitting heavily in my area and that’s why I’m struggling.

1 Like

I’m the only one around here playing either Grail RP or Kate – it’s all NBN / Anarch in these parts, even more so than usual. So I’m not much help on that front. I kept two Lucky Find and a Stimhack in my list, which were great in testing, but Datasucker + Parasite is so good against Grail that I can see why you went the way you did.

One thing that did jump out at me about your list was double RDI. If you’re focusing your ice trashing on R&D, I guess I can see it, and you do have that one Modded. But I always felt in pre-MWL Kate that the RDI made my average install costs just a little bit too high for my comfort – it was too easy for me to dip below that ~3-4c threshold where I generally wanted to be before playing my burst econ. And now post MWL we’re all poorer, which was why my default for testing was zero RDI.

1 Like

Right I feel like exactly because we are poorer now, I can’t afford to run through remote tollbooth over and over to check their bullshits like Jackson.
At some point I’m just gonna give up and see if I can get as many R&D access as possible before I lose. In that case, you just run with RDI and draw. Fire makers eye and get lucky. With tech writer I feel less terrible installing RDI when I’m not that rich.

1 Like

I do have a post MWL prepaid deck that runs two lucky finds, but you lose parasite and play two prepaids instead of three. AS I play three pro co instead of daily casts, that all sort of works out for me. Two clone chips really does suck, but the rest of the deck seems pretty dece v most stuff. I already play three pro co in prepaid before MWL though (which worked pretty damn well)

EDIT: Also as I play pro co I don’t need baby, and I don’t like technical writer unless it’s a three of, so I play a couple of same old things, and still have room for deus x, though obviously could play 1 sot and maybe no deus x and add two daily casts or something

1 Like

Is there a place in building PPVP Kate around leveraging Same Old Thing for Sure Gamble midgame? I had that idea while glossing over Post MWL TechWriter PPVP lists and effectively saw SoT for Sure Gamble in TechWriter.

Everyone knows Modded is the best shaper econ card :wink:

1 Like

That card is the worst. How often do you draw all three of them a) before you have anything in hand to install or b) after you have installed everything you want. The answer is always. All those clicks trying to draw into something useful…wasted.

Modded is entirely playable. Almost every deck that plays it also only runs 1-2. Playing 3 would be wrong in most cases.

It also has increased value when you’re making use of burst draw as it helps empty your hand It’s good in sustained draw like Pro. Co. where you are constantly drawing to make money and cards build up.

It IS an econ card and is playable. Anything that compresses clicks by doing two things in 1 action is generally playable. Dirty Laundry functions similar.

Modded is definitely more conditional, on the fact that you need often sustained draws, or burst (QT, Diesel) for it to function properly. Every deck I’ve ever used it in, I get the full advantage of it when I see it.

Don’t undersell this card. It’s being used currently in MWL Kate and feels good.

7 Likes

A local era mate has been playing something like this. It’s actually been pretty effective. Thoughts?

Big Rig Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (20)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Indexing (Future Proof)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]
3x Modded (Core Set)
1x Notoriety (Trace Amount)
3x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Vamp (Trace Amount) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]

Hardware (12)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Maya (Kala Ghoda)
1x Omni-Drive (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
1x Mongoose (Kala Ghoda) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]

Program (7)
1x Clot (The Valley) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
3x Magnum Opus (Core Set)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
10 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Kala Ghoda

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I don’t know man, I switched from Modded to Personal Workshops and Stimhacks. This way, it sucks if you don’t draw into your PWs, but Modded gives me this feeling of constant mediocrity. Maybe I just don’t like Shaper at the moment. It all feels so slow and cumbersome.

Shaper has the worst econ of any faction. It’s understandable to feel that way. Modded helps round out econ. It’s not a first include when deckbuilding for sure. It has it’s place though.

Wait, what. You are playing Wirkshop in Kate? Please tell me I am missing something.

2 Likes

I dislike Mongoose and Mimic in the same list. Datasucker should be in this list. It gives good value to also having Dirty Laundry, Mimic, Vamp, and Atman. these cards benefit more than the others in the deck but it certainly works on Gordian and lady too (in rare cases).

Sucker counters offer pseudo economic compression and I think that’s important when using Mopus as you’re playing everything you can to reverse the horrible tempo it offers. Examples are exactly why you play diesel and QT, 3 of each.

It’s to offset those clicks used to make money. So playing run events or getting more leverage out of an atman/mimic is always welcome. He isn’t running scavenge to reset Atman, he should run sucker to help it and while he is at it, scrap mongoose and just run classic suckers/mimic. If he is scared, play sharpshooter?

1 Like

Yeah if you build a Mimic Sucker deck you have to run Sharpshooter because there are gonna be CVS’s around right now that are intended for Noise, but can be used to suddenly make Ichi or Assassin a live card.

Mimic/Sucker/Sharpshooter’s not bad though.

Using Mongoose instead and using the Mimic influence somewhere else seems a cool different direction you could go, I’d have to be more familiar with Mongoose to know how good that is. 1 Atman 1 Mongoose should be a fine Sentry breaker suite, if someone stacks a server 3 deep with 3 sentries all of different strength, none of which have ignorable subs, just shake the guy’s hand and congratulate him.

He has the money to use Mongoose through Mopus. This is entirely reasonable.

Mongoose average break is expensive though…

5 for data raven
3 for architect
7 for Ichi 1.0 if you break all 3 routines

That’s why I have the mimic, to deal with architecht and the Mongoose-Mimic suite has been a good solution to shapers sentry problem.

No, it’s a Jessie deck.