[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

One question about most recent incarnation of Lysander’s PPVP Kate (http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/6237/pvp-kate-louisville-ky-1st-place-runner). Aren’t sentries a problem if a lone Dino hides on the bottom of the deck?

Femme’s going to have to do some expensive work.

Ok, so how about running two copies of Dino?

Out of interest, are people running Pro Contacts or draw events (or both)?

That sounds like an interesting choice. My guess is that pro con would be better for the long game, but at the cost of a lot of the explosiveness of your early start, and a bit of vulnerability to breaking news. Anyone tried both?

@Nordrunner has a CT Pro Contact version without diesel and QT. His youtube videos are very good.

2 Likes

I do love how this thread, essentially an off-shoot/reboot of @Lysander’s other Kate thread, has now reached over 400 posts.

Bravo, kids. Take a bow.

6 Likes

Diesel and Quality Time for my Kate deck… I find ProContacts to be an expensive click trap and not worth the tempo hit. Also, it’s anti-synergistic with the VoicePADs.

Yeah this is the version I took to regionals. Wondered whether that could have been the cause of the difference in consistency.

Did some testing of Lysander’s PPVP Kate (http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/6237/pvp-kate-louisville-ky-1st-place-runner). Lone Dino seems enough, it is rarely needed at all, and you fly through the deck really fast with all those diesels and QTs.

Actually the deck cycles so fast, that I found myself out of cards against various Jinteki builds. Scored 6-0 against RP glacier and run out of cards just to watch him advance agendas one by one behind ash and caprice. Also scored 6-0 against PE one pointers kill deck and died without cards. In both of those situations Levy would simply demolish the corps morale. Thus proposed change: -1deus +1levy.

I know it was established for one of the previous incarnations of the deck that games finish before levying, but this one runs 2xQT in addition to 3xdiesel, which might make the difference. Covering marathon matchups with a single deck slot seems like a good choice for me.

3 Likes

That seems reasonable. Levy is good, I considered putting one in instead of test run or sharpshooter before KY - but I didn’t think I would be dealing with enough jinteki to justify it.

One of my losses was to a friend’s jinteki RP deck, and levy wouldnt have helped much in that game.

How come loads of @Chill84’s posts get edited or removed?
The last one was edited by @SneakySly, what’s the deal there? Is it an alter ego account?

From what I can tell, Chill deletes a lot of his posts, Sneaky just makes sure everyone uses capitals.

5 Likes

I dropped the 3rd Maker’s Eye for a Levy and am very glad I did. It just helps a lot in long games, and I didn’t feel like I was suffering from a lack of Maker’s Eyes - if anything I was finding too many of them at once before when I was having a string of bad-ish draws. If you don’t get lucky with Legworks and Maker’s early, it’s very easy for a game against Red Coats or Jinteki to get to the point where you are running out of cards. On the other hand, the 2nd Deus is a lifesaver in both of those matchups, which I expect to see quite a lot.

The thing I’m struggling with right now is whether to go for an Atman-focused build or the breaker suite Lysander posted (PS: I’m totally sold on the Cyber-Cyphers over Gordian in that suire). The idea of a 4-str Atman against HB with datasucker and parasite support is just so juicy. Anyone else been playtesting and have opinions? I’ve had good and bad games with both (basically my Atman build drops 1 Scavenge, 2 Cyber-Cyphers, Dino, and Corroder for 2 Atman, 2 Datasuckers, an Inti, and a mem chip). The other nice thing is that Datasucker is essentially another drip econ card, so it will help you ride out econ-less draws, and makes you lose less from non-multi access runs on centrals (basically, the deck wants so badly to use clicks on drawing and draw effects that runs that aren’t highly likely to bear agendas feel pretty bad). I basically feel like this deck would be unstoppable if I could add 1 more Lucky Find and 1 more Sure Gamble, so a tiny bit more econ is nice.

Or maybe I should just drop the 2nd Deus for an Atman just to pop a 4 or 5 str one against HB? That seems like a pretty weak play for 7-9 creds without Datasuckers. Lysander’s deck lacks an efficient way to deal with the popular ice Eli and Caduceus (at least until Femme is on Dino, which is a big investment), but I don’t know if the savings for breaking Eli with Atman compared to Corroder justifies the cost and lack of flexibility.

There’s still 1x Atman in both @Lysdaner’s list and mine, even though I cut Datasucker and have 2x Deus X. I find it quite useful in narrow circumstances – basically only once I’ve seen a bunch of X strength rezzed ice on the board, or as an emergency breaker to pull with SMC if literally nothing else will work. I think it’s worth the slot.

I’ve been considering going back to Levy, and like you I think I’d cut 1x Maker’s Eye from my list. So far, though, I’ve only lost once by exhaustion in something like 40 games (~20 tournament games and 20 test games with local players). I still have some cases where I’ve played my event econ by the time a couple of PADs come up – in which case I don’t bother installing them if it won’t be worth it – but by and large I win or lose by the time I’m 80% of the way through the deck. I’m also running 3x Diesel and 3x Quality Time; I overdraw and bin stuff with reckless abandon.

Also, I might replace that third Maker’s Eye with one Indexing instead. I don’t usually want to run R&D 2-3x in a turn, but sometimes I do.

Ah I haven’t seen the most recent version. What did you drop for Atman? I don’t want to drop the 3rd SOT and I’m already down to 2 Clone Chips.

Also, maybe I need to let go of my impulse to hold onto things and just draw harder :slight_smile:

Based on seen the CT deck that took second in San Antonio without Plas, I’m tempted to drop the Plas for two Daily Casts.

I was a part of the testing group that talked him into dropping the plas, that was due to having opus. if you think the prepaid economy is strong enough to out-money the scorch corps, go for it.

Posted Bounty would be a really happy agenda then!

Very few decks run it, and if they manage to install advance advance in a server that you can’t get into when you’ve been sitting back and out-moneying them, sure, they got you. The odds of that happening are very low.

3 Likes