[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Except that one Argus who just wants to Big Brother you into a Atlas out of hand.

Just. Sayin.(Kappa obv)

No doubt. Think he’s joking about how the deck got named after Calimsha initially, after he made a handful of changes to the same deck he and I (and many others) ran at Worlds.

I really helped push PPVP Kate here, but couldn’t care less whom it’s named after, as long as it keeps getting played and iterated upon.

8 Likes

I still call it ppsp kate (prepaid spags pad)

5 Likes

New thread title “Renaming Shaper Control Decks”

12 Likes

first we need to make "renaming shaper control deck threads’

4 Likes

couldnt pay me enough to play ppvp. my style still gets results, and i hate ppvp

ignore me tho, im a unique snowflake. my style isnt for anyone. apparently ~_~

Poor @Lysander. Not around to see the madness this has become.

4 Likes

So Johnny invented Kate? I didn’t know he was involved with FFG :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@spags has it right. The thing is, we should all be calling this @Lysander Kate. So it goes…

But seriously, Creations Kate is a good deck. You guys should play it.

7 Likes

I’m worried about removing the parasite. It has so much value against RP and NEXT deck and the second legwork was only needed against NEH anyway.

Clot got included in the latest version of Kate. After some test, the third SMC wasn’t needed at all. All I did was to remove a Legwork for Clot and swapping the second Indexing for a Third TME, expecting to see more glacier than rush/FA deck.

Blitz Running PPvP Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (24)

Hardware (8)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (8)

Program (3)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to All That Remains

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

4 Likes

C’mon, man.

5 Likes

I was wondering about that. I keep hearing and reading about how more cards is strictly worse, but I keep seeing 46 card runner decks.

Is there any particular reason for thus? Do people just not know what to cut?

How’s this? The Imp helps against Future Perfects, kill decks, etc. Day Jobs are just about as good as Lucky Find, not bad early. Is the Imp worth giving up 2 Luckies?

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (19)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
1x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
2x Day Job (Order and Chaos) ••

Hardware (10)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
3x Astrolabe (Up and Over)

Resource (3)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) •

Icebreaker (8)
1x Mimic (Core Set) •
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)

Program (5)
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) •••
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x Clot (The Valley) ••

15 influence spent (maximum 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

I’ve been playing 46 cards Kate for a really long while and I’m not gonna cut anything in this list. I mean, I understand the increased variance on the draw but with this amount of drawing power (between QT, Diesel, Astrolabe, Levy and SoT), having an opening 0.x% worse is something I gladly take if it can add more flexibility mid to late-game.
It’s not like I won’t draw the entirety of my deck around turn 9-12 anyway.

@Kenobob: have you tried the list you posted ? If not, you will find pretty fast that Day Job is HORRIBLE in Voicepad Kate. The reason behind is that you really don’t want to lose an entire turn clicking for creds in a deck like that. The Strength of PPvP Kate is being able to fuck-up the corp calculation on their scoring window. You can’t expect to surprise the corp with a 15+ creds swing on a single turn with Day Job.

7 Likes

I’ve played a 3x Day Job (no lucky find) deck that had D4v1d (which was totally unnecessary btw) and was pleasantly surprised with it…early game. All those credits let me control remotes while building. I did find that corps tried to rope a dope me more, but I’m cool with that. Is the surprise that crucial? Don’t people know it’s better not to gamble on remotes vs. Shaper?

On crucial later game turns I worry that Day Job would be dead where Lucky Find, on the other hand, would be amazing. I’ve played about 8 games on OCTGN with Day Job Kate, and only a few against good opponents. Won all or most of the matchups.

Have you played with Day Jobs extensively? If surprise is that important, would Stimhack in place of Utopia help keep that option alive?

Day job is good in Kate if, and only if, you’re also running earthrise hotel. It’s really strong to take a huge recovery turn like that with no warning for the Corp. Without earthrise our a similar automated draw function (vigil maybe?) day job is poor.

I can’t really see kate wanting to play day job / hotel instead of diesel/QT econ engine, though. But maybe I’m wrong.

Can’t really justify something like Earthrise in PP Kate. There’s a reason Quality Time is in-faction and Earthrise is neutral. QT with Voicepads down is insanely good.

What’s the difference if you Diesel/QT into a Day Job and then play it next turn, or if you happen to draw it at the beginning of your turn with Earthrise? Also, Astolabe will do things on occasion.

I found it easy to pick spots early and early-mid game to play Day Job during a corp lull. However, I don’t have a big enough sample size or the elite skill to know if it’s a suitable replacement for Lucky Find. For one, I haven’t played RP with it yet for one. I’d hate to be stuck with it right after they rez their first godforsaken Sundew.

I hope some players try it and report back. Think of what you can do with the influence! Imp, Medium, Sneakdoor, Hemorrhage.

I won a 33 person SC playing Kate with 2 Day Job, 2 Earthrise, 1 QT, 3 diesel, just to try out the card. It was really strong, but I switched to Maxx after that for the rest of the season. I think if anything, that layout will be better post-clot.

3 Likes

Any chance of a deck list, or at least an influence breakdown?