[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Do you reliably have MUs for NA now, with possibly multiple Sites out?

SO, INF is 2 LF/3 Site/2 Suck/1 Leg/1 Femme?

Spags, if we both show up in Chitown running the same decks, it’s gonna be awkward ;).

1 Like

Legwork is better in a vacuum, but Nerve Agent is better against Cerebral Imaging. Depends on if you think you will be playing lots of CI or not, and how bad that match-up is without Agent.

1 Like

Maybe I should crash your Regionals… it’s a short jaunt from Minneapolis to Chicago.

(Just kidding, I’m already double booked on the 10th between GP Minneapolis and a Modern Masters booster draft I have planned with friends.)

1 Like

Agent crushes NBN, as well.

We’ve already done this man-dance once before. What’s another? XD

2 Likes

I feel 3 LF / 2 Parasite / 2 sucker / 1 Nerve / 1 Femme is a better call, especially if you’re playing Escher so you can make your HQ run really cheap (in detriment of a remote or archive run for exemple, or even R&D against CI). I’m not gonna remove the third LF because this deck need a critical amount of econ ressource to be playable and removing the third LF would be really detrimental against those annoying HB:End the Fun deck with Ash, Caprice and such.

1 Like

I think adding a Test Run is better than adding a third Parasite. The main reasons for having 2 Parasites is that your SMC’s aren’t dead if you draw your (only) parasite, and you can have 2 out at the same time. Test Run basically is Parasite, without costing any influence, and PAD helps pay for it. The only downside is that you’ll turn off your SMC’s quicker (by emptying your stack of Parasites sooner).

I’m still in favor of 3 LF / 3 Sucker / 1 Parasite / 1 Desperado / 1 Femme, but I haven’t played against CI much. You can win without Desperado, but it helps so much when it’s out (both the memory and the credits are huge). If I wanted to cut it, I’d go with Calimsha’s 3 LF / 2 Parasite / 2 sucker / 1 Nerve / 1 Femme.

EDIT: I could also see 2 LF / 1 Stimhack / 2 Parasite / 3 Sucker / 1 Nerve / 1 Femme

Scavenge would help turn those SMC back on, if you can find space for it.

2 Likes

Indeed. It also allows you to cheat out Femme with Test Run, reset Femme or Atman, or turn any excess program (inti, deus X, nerve agent once you’re done with it) into another Parasite. All in all, probably a good one-of, as it’s mostly dead early on. Finding space for it is problematic, but I think I might try.

Ok, so I have completely missed this amazing conversation about the exact deck type I have been playing. Finally built a tier 1 non criminal deck, and it’s my Chaos/Prepaid/Lucky Find deck. Best self contained (i.e. no siphon) economic engine I have played in a runner deck. I will try to touch on some of the discussion points from the thread in my post.

I have been playing Nerve Agent but have made the switch to Legwork. Legwork is boss here imo. As good as nerve agent is, the install click and cost is really annoying. I often don’t have the ability to play it and run three times in a turn. Consider the best I can do with Nerve in it’s first turn (with 4 clicks) is get 3 tokens on it, Legwork effectively does that AND makes a run in ONE click! Additionally, there is no way a corp can ever know if I am thinking Maker’s Eye (R&D) or Legwork (HQ) since I am playing them as hidden events from my hand. Oh, I almost forgot to mention… It’s probably going to be free with the voicepads!

The way I play my deck is to compress the game and be as efficient as possible (moneywise and clickwise). The entire deck functions around this premise and Legwork is really the dream come true for this deck imo.

LARLA is essential for a deck like this. While I started with R&DI’s, again the click and install cost hinder what the deck is trying to do. Free/discounted events that can be recursed are super strong. While it’s usually true that I don’t even play LARLA in most games, to not have an out against Jinteki, or if the game is going to continue past the full draw of my deck, is a very bad idea. There is not permanent econ source in my deck like opus or Kati, so LARLA is a no brainer. While playing 2 Same old thing, I am usually pretty comfortable pitching the LARLA early so I don’t have to worry about it clogging my hand.

I found 2 Femme the best way for dealing with anything and everything big. Toss it on a Dino, keep a Deus X handy, and there isn’t a server I can’t break with relative ease. Cards like Makers Eye and Legwork make it a dream sniper deck. Once your setup they cant score on remotes because you can almost always get through their ICE, and every 3/4 turns you getting multi-card accesses in there centrals. You can sort of effectively extend an R&D lock by being able to go see the cards you missed in their R&D, and go see them with legwork. By that time you should have another Makers Eye or SOT to repeat the process. NASTY!

Maybe I am bias because I am playing Shaper now, but it’s hard for me to not believe Shaper may have just claimed the crown for top runner faction.

6 Likes

My last version look like that :

Fastman

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (20)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Indexing (Future Proof)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)

Hardware (11)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
1x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (1)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
1x Inti (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (8)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) ••
2x Parasite (Core Set) ••••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Double Time

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

The main reason why I’ve removed the Escher is because since i’m playing 2 Parasite / 2 Test Run, the amount of ICE on any server I want to attack would probably be thinner than with only 1 since i’m gonna play them more frequently. So reorganizing the ICE won’t have an impact as strong as it could be with less ICE destruction.
The Nerve Agent could probably be replaced by a Legwork but since CI is a thing actually, I feel Nerve Agent is probably the best call in this particular matchup.

1 Like

Akametsu : best console for shaper.

2 Likes

Love the case you’re making for legwork, makes a lot of sense.

One question though: what made you choose CT over Kate?

1 Like

I tested both Kate and CT extensively. I think there is enough variation with this arch - type to make both work. With my deck, i want to compress the game with efficiency and card synergy, and I found it was simply easier to do it with less cards. Additionally, since I play SMC’s and 2 femmes, the extra MU comes into play more than I initially expected.

2 Likes

Nords, this is a KATE thread!

Get your CT talk outta here! :wink:

1 Like

Translation: @sirpim, this is THE place for you to post a Professor control deck!

3 Likes

“Redefining Chaos Theory Control Decks” - That’s not how you read it?

4 Likes

I welcome any alternatives to Criminal/Siphon.

Nords’ deck is pretty tight.

1 Like

@Nordrunner is your CT list up anywhere for comparison?