[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

I’m guessing it’ll be up after the 10th.

Here you go! I would actually love any feedback on how to get a 3rd legwork in. I was thinking swap corroder for snowball, but then what else would I take out? Any ideas anyone?

YouTube Version

Text Version

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (22)
1x Stimhack (Core Set) •
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••

Hardware (6)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (5)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ••
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

Program (2)
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

4 Likes

Pull Corroder for Snowball/Battering Ram.

And pull what else? If make that swap, and add legwork, thats 41 cards. Is Battering ram too much MU here? There is potential for issues if I need everything on the table at once and don’t have something on Dino, but not sure that will happen too often(?). Rams ability to maintain strength during a run could actually kind of be a big deal… hmmm… Ram…

I like Ram in CT, where one has the space. Not sure what to pull. SMC? Hate to pull a Laundry.

Sure, +1MU is nice. But since creation and control, and new way to abuse kate ability twice per turn (SMC/clone chip), I think she’s the best shaper ID by far.

I agree in general, but certainly there are CT decks on equal footing with the best Kate decks. It’s just a matter of deck building around the strengths of the ID and making it work. Creation and Control in relative terms was a long time ago, and a big reason why CT works today is from new cards from the spin cycle.

1 Like

I am curious what your current list looks like (or have you posted it already and I missed it?) - assuming you are willing to reveal it :wink:

Hum, as I was bothered about which actual card from the spin cycle could possibly make CT on pare with Kate, I jumped onto netrunnerdb, and aside from some niche blackmail decks, I didn’t see any cards really worth the cut.

Firstly, allow me to say kudos to @Nordrunner for taking this thread in a direction that I wanted to research but lacked the time. Chaos Theory is absolutely superior to Kate in his deck, due to Test Run/Scavenge not pairing with Kate’s ability and the necessity of drawing them quickly and consistently. That being said, allow me to pick apart your brain on some choices you made and suggest alternatives.

-3 The Makers Eye +3 Indexing : Yes, even in PPVP decks I go with Indexing. It’s a huge bummer if you draw your TME before your PPVP, and you want to maximize your opportunities to exploit timing windows. It also has a larger opportunity to find agendas and avoids Jinteki traps. With a deck as efficient as yours, you should be able to afford to run R&D 2-3 times in a turn.

-3 Professional Contacts +3 Personal Workshop : An odd substitution, no? I feel as though you’re leveraging your Test Run/Scavenge combo a bit too much, especially if you go with Battering Ram. PW is also superior against NBN (less upfront cost and not as debilitating to lose since you have a window in which to unload it if tagged) and against Weyland (a kick in the balls for BP decks). I just feel as though you’ll gain midrun shenanigans plus make at least as much money as PC even more quickly and this frees up other strategies with TR and Scavenge. Keep in mind this is a great way to save money on Plascretes and Dino. You also gain value from multiple PW’s, unlike PC.

-1 Corroder +1 Battering Ram +1 Planned Assault : You could go Snowball if you want since on Dinosaurus it’d be all you need. I want to talk about PA though. It’s superior to a third Legwork since it also gives you versatility and can act as a fourth Indexing/TME or even as Stimhack (which isn’t a bad play in a PPVP deck!)

edit: Oh, and Personal Workshop also pairs with your Stimhack! This strategy never goes out of style.

4 Likes

As for my own deck, I’ll divulge its current form in a day or so. I’m waffling between having a third Parasite, third Datasucker, or third Lucky Find and want to make up my mind once and for all before proceeding.

1 Like

These are really interesting ways to take this @Lysander. I went into SC season playing toolbox CT and liked it; it’s interesting to watch how these things progress. Because I’m a criminal at heart, my builds were siphon-riffic, but man I do like the Prepaid solution. I do love Indexing over TME again, after ditching it when J-Howa came out.

As an aside, how hilarious is it that Hive still costs Ram 6c to break. Battering Ram, I thought you were supposed to be efficient against big barriers! Remind me why you take up 2MU?

@Nordrunner thanks for sharing your build EVEN THOUGH we’ll both be at the Chicago regionals I imagine :). Have you tested a sharpshooter at all? I :heart: sharpshooter, because it seems like Grim/Archer is everywhere for me still. Tell me your destroyer-avoidance secrets :).

1 Like

Like any proud deck builder my inititial thoughts when reading your post was “HELL NO!” :stuck_out_tongue: On the flipside, if I don’t entertain other experienced players ideas, i am going to be left behind by all of you in a flash. Big thanks for sharing your thoughts, I’ll interject mine in regards to your suggestions.

-3 The Makers Eye +3 Indexing

I am leery about this, I look at it very simply. TME accesses cards, accessing agendas wins the game. 3+ TME per game will be 12+cards accessed per game, which over the long haul of many games is going to yield approx 2.5+ agenda accesses per game based on average corp agenda density of 1/5. With recursion the numbers jump even higher in my favor as I play more TME’s. This coupled with the ability to effectively snipe remote servers and have multi access HQ runs, TME usually gets me enough agenda points to put me in a strong position to win. Additionally, there are games where indexing will be very difficult to use effectively when R&D is a monster to pass. This is precisely when TME shines, the late game hail marys or timely sniper runs where I only have to make one to be effective. Of course, not to mention the times a surprise Jackson is on the table, or one is protected in a remote.

-3 Professional Contacts +3 Personal Workshop

You have opened up an old wound on this one as PW is one of my all time favorite ANR cards. I am always looking for excuses to play PW, and my original prototype for this deck was a PW/Diesel/Quality Time Kate deck with replicators and R&D interfaces. I loved it, and it was good. But here is why I begrudgingly settled on Professional Contacts. I need to draw a lot of cards, and I think event cards, and run events in particular create a certain flow to the deck. PC is like a perfect storm in that it gives me the cards and the credits to fuel everything I am trying to do. Paired with PrePaid on the table, every single draw now becomes basically money to fuel future runs which will be free from prepaid, so on and so-forth. Its a cycle of synergy that keeps refueling and replenishing itself. Additionally, PW is an awful combination with Test Run/Scavenge. If I need a Femme “NOW” (happens often) and it’s stuck on PW with 8 creds, I could be in a world of hurt. I’d much rather overdraw that femme with PC, get the money, pitch it to the heap and cheat it in with a test run anytime I want.

-1 Corroder +1 Battering Ram +1 Planned Assault

DING!!! You struck gold here!!! I somehow completely overlooked Planned Assault. Brilliant, I can happily find room for this card. I think corroder is a luxury I can afford to abandon. I am not making tons of runs, so an additional 1 or 2 creds per turn, and a higher up front install cost should not be crippling.

Great thread. It must be said that Stimhack is the class of the ANR community and sets the bar for all other ANR resources. Thanks to all who make it this way.

EDIT: @Lysander You got me thinking about Indexing with the sexy new edition of Planned Assault. Consider this play, PA into indexing, finished with a makers eye. OMG! That’s what I would call Shaper control!! Worth testing.

3 Likes

I really think, with the recursion, that 2 Parasite is fine. I ran ONE at 3 PIs and Worlds, and it did wonders. I believe LF, and to a lesser extent DS, are more important.

Also, the Ram is the call in Nords deck. Planned Assault? Brilliant!

1 Like

@Nordrunner thanks for sharing your build EVEN THOUGH we’ll both be at the Chicago regionals I imagine. Have you tested a sharpshooter at all? I heart sharpshooter, because it seems like Grim/Archer is everywhere for me still. Tell me your destroyer-avoidance secrets.

I’ll be there with the decks I have told the world how to play and beat. LOL!!! Bring it on world!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Started with Sharpshooter in my Kate version. 2x Femme is so good. If I have any suspicion its a big sentry, ill just drop a token on it (scavenge if necessary), or make sure I am rich, or have Femme on Dino before I plow into stuff. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a program destroyed by ICE.

1 Like

Nords, remember, the Ram holds it’s strength. It’s a better option than Corroder at deep servers (see: stacked Elis) or bigger ICE.

1 Like

Yes, this is very exciting to remember. Taking the Nerve Agent (program/MU) out really makes Ram the best choice I think. Tests will be run immediately.

1 Like

@nuTella See my decklist, then see all cards released after C&C. You shall have your answer. :slight_smile: I would say it’s the combo of a few cards, not any one card that make the difference. More specifically, Lucky Find Torch, Pre-Paid Voice Pad, Legwork.

@Nordrunner What does the Planned Assault replace, one of the Maker’s Eyes?

@Arkhon Funny you ask… I am still playing around with it tbh. Have not even gotten around to the planned assault yet. I have -1 makers and -1 SMC for +1 retrieval run and +1 indexing at the moment. I have to concede that at least 1 indexing makes a lot of sense to have in there. It really is shaper control at it’s finest. Retrieval was a “filler” card I had while waiting for H&P. However, I am finding it to be so useful it is very difficult to let it go. Especially when the weak spot of the deck is often speed, retrieval/femme, or retrieval/anything really is a pretty big play with my breakers.

While I am writing, quick update on random other things… I have found Battering Ram to be as good or even better than corroder in this deck. Dropping the Nerve agent opens that mu spot up, and it’s ability to maintain strength has come in handy enough times to make it useful. Legwork is everything I hoped it would be. Not having Nerve Agent clunking around in my deck feels like a weight of the shoulders. So far Legwork is the best runner card I have played from H&P.

2 Likes