Latest Spoilers from Honor and Profit!

The issue with Overmind is, as we all saw with Atman, the AI hate cards still are a thing. Is this deck really going to spend 7 Credits to stop wraparound? Or 5 Power Counters to stop Hive? Overmind is nice, but with the lessons we all learned from Atman, I think we defiantly need to think twice about using it as our only breaker in the deck

A bit off-topic, but I’m in the process of doing a full write-up reevaluating Atman control decks thanks to recent contributions to the Kate Blitz thread. I’ve found that it’s much better off than when it was when it was popular at the start of Spin Cycle.

That list strikes me as decenty workable - the only change I’d make would be changing the one Lucky Find into two Femmes (with the card being dropped being the third Replicator, as Replicators are best used in twos).

No, the deck is going to get 3 LLDS chips out as fast as it can, giving OM a base strength of 3 the turn you play it. It will then play / recycle the same breaker on any turn it wishes to run and pawns it once the counters are used.
I’d be running E3 for sure and probably Grappling Hook too to deal with Hive, Bioroids and Swordsman. Paying 4 to beat a Wraparound is about a worst case scenario and is easily mitigated with a couple of Cyber Feeders.

I think that deck is a good starting point, but I’d probably change a few things.
The emphasis of that deck seems to be on maximising MU to get more counters on Overmind, but that doesn’t seem as strong economically speaking. With that model you’re paying for strength vs every ICE, which is a lot of money down the toilet. I’d be seeking to recycle the program in order to exploit LLDS chips every turn. With this plan you’ll have to replay Overmind approximately twice as often (costing 4), but you’ve got a strength of 3 now, so the ongoing costs are lower. In my model I only care about having enough counters on OM to run that turn (one per ICE in my way), so I have less emphasis on MU and more focus on recycling and getting it into play quickly.

I think the income should be bursty, so I actually like Lucky Find in this deck and would probably play more rather than less. I’d ditch Deep Red and one of the E3s to include two copies of Grappling Hook. I’d ditch Magnum Opus as well and put in more things like Dirty Laundry and Aesops. You don’t really want to be clicking for money (even at a decent rate of exchange). Scavenge is an economy card for this deck - it’s essentially a free Overmind so that has to be 3x.

I’'m ditching Mimic as well - he’s clearly only in there for Swordsman and Roto. Grappling Hook takes care of swordsman and you don’t really care about Roto if your only program is Overmind.

1 Like

No, the deck is going to get 3 LLDS chips out as fast as it can, giving OM a base strength of 3 the turn you play it. It will then play / recycle the same breaker on any turn it wishes to run and pawns it once the counters are used.

I’d be running E3 for sure and probably Grappling Hook too to deal with Hive, Bioroids and Swordsman. Paying 4 to beat a Wraparound is about a worst case scenario and is easily mitigated with a couple of Cyber Feeders.

It strikes me that there are a lot of bad/situational cards going into this in return for limited upside. Remember that combos (that don’t instantly win) are generally weak unless the cards going into the combo are useful outside it.

2 Likes

Got to agree with you Kingsley, lots of do nothing cards.

I can see why it looks like that, and on face value I agree. But there are a lot of cards which, on face value, are useless but gain in concert with other cards. A deck is, sometimes, greater than the sum of its parts.
It’s combo-ish, but it’s all hardware so (with Replicator) the “click to draw” doesn’t apply and you guarantee getting all the pieces and don’t waste draw on dead copies later on. Chaos Theory with a 40 card deck, and draw/search effects in faction is very well placed to run this kind of rig.

I guess I’m thinking a few packs forward with this. Will O’ Wisp is totally game-changing. Once that hits the environment the current Criminal decks will be absolutely unviable. Losing your Corroder to the bottom of your deck is an absolute disaster - worse than having it trashed because now you have to tutor it back since you’ll never draw it again. This means that decks will have to evolve redundancy and/or search effects (i.e. less deck/influence space for other things). Overmind doesn’t care - you’re playing it every turn when you want to run and getting it sent back into your deck is an advantage.

Playing Overmind means that the cheap binary ICE doesn’t gear check you like it would if you were playing a full rig. OK so Crypsis could do the same thing, but it’s more expensive in the long run (both in clicks and $). Once your LLDS chips and Cyberfeeders are set up your runs are basically free with Overmind; your only ongoing costs are to recycle the Overmind, which Shapers do well and cheaply - you can play it 15+ times in a game and 9 of those will be cheaper than face value (Modded, Scavenge, Test Run). The E3 implants might be surplus to requirements, I only included it to synergise with Grappling hook and so as to keep the power counters on Overmind.

If you were offered a universal Yog you’d probably take it - especially if you threw in that it also had a strength boost to get you out of a jam. This deck basically gives you that facility, with built in security against semi-targeted removal like Power Shutdown and Will O’ Wisp. It needs a lot of deck space to set up efficiently, but once it’s there you don’t really need an economy engine.

2 Likes

Will O’ Wisp is another card that I think is ludicrously overblown. It is expensive, easy to trash, makes R&D weaker (trash cost 1), and is much less effective than people think. Note that it only sends away breakers that were actually used to break subroutines during the run-- so it does nothing against Femme, Inside Job, Parasite, Sharpshooter, Faerie, etc. etc.

It probably wants Interns for support (to ensure it comes into play when relevant) and needs to show up in 2 copies at most, but it’s only about the second targetable way of interacting with a runner that can stop any sub from firing (i.e. has a full rig). Also, unlike the first way (AggSec), it doesn’t actually fill up the server.

Not sure if it’s worth the cost yet, but it can most certainly open a scoring window, so that warrants testing at least.

Rainbow is awesome. nothing can break it more efficiently than a Corroder

Cyber Cypher or most 2 MU breakers. Rainbow is pretty terrible in the current card pool. Just suck it up and play a Bastion.

2 Likes

The problem is, I don’t want my Bastions to be yoggable with one datasucker token. That allows for sustainable, repeated running and Bastion is supposed to tax at least a little.

2 Likes

Yes, I was referring to mandatory draw.

If they use sucker tokens on it they won’t be available for more problematic ice like grim. Rainbow will only be helpful at locking centrals against suckers

Rainbow will not be helpful at locking servers against suckers, because they will only use the suckers if it is optimal for them to do so. The suckers are not mandatory but will sometimes make Rainbow just really suck.

3 Likes