Let's talk about "GG" for a minute

I guess I don’t really care. I’ll extend a GG and a handshake after every game but they are not required to return the sentiment. If they choose not to it doesn’t bother me.

2 Likes

But then I would never say “GG”

nyuk nyuk nyuk

5 Likes

my rage quit record is click 1 with MaxX!

2 Likes

on gg: it is polite to say both “good luck” and “good game” even as acronyms most people already say often enough for the gesture to be lost

on timing your gg: i say “gg” when i win because i want to leave, and i don’t want to just quit without saying it. if i were to stay there, i’d probably wait to say it. the real life equivalent to this is the all-too-often awkward handshake your opponent (often that is in your meta and you have played against 50+ times) extends, asking you to give them a handshake after winning against you, but never asks the same after losing (which is really the only polite time to in the first place)

those saying it is impolite to say “gg” immediately after winning without waiting for your opponent are correct (i am probably guilty of this at some point). it is impolite to not be a gracious winner, and often in ANR that takes the form of a lack of self control in a winning position, including but not limited to:

“gg” first
the awk immediate winner’s handshake (especially against a familiar opponent)
announcing “MINE” and snatching agendas you access from the Corp
any uninvited handling of your opponent’s cards
slow rolling (this happens a lot in ANR, probably because people do not know what it is)

this gg thing is pretty minor, though. i think if you have an issue with people saying “gg” in online games to the extent that you feel it needs to be addressed publicly you need to work on your mental/psychological game, because it’s probably affecting your gameplay negatively

4 Likes

gg is just what you say after a game to be polite. Playing Starcraft made me see gg as something only the player who lost should say first, but I guess in other games it’s not too bad if you say gg after winning.

1 Like

“Glhf” and “gg” are all about sportsmanship, which is to say, “an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one’s competitors.” (According to Webster)

It’s also about handling both victory and defeat with grace and dignity. I think this is especially important in a game like Netrunner where luck and variance play such an important role. Sometimes the odds were against you and you lost. It’s important for the enjoyment of both parties that one accepts the nature of the game and continues to be a good sport even if the loss was more or less out of your control.

In saying “gg”, you aren’t saying anything declarative about the nature of the game you just played, necessarily. You aren’t agreeing together that the game was good. It could have been a downright terrible game. Maybe you didn’t enjoy it at all. You say “gg” because you are respecting your opponent and being graceful about your loss/victory. You may hate IG, but your opponent enjoys it. If you agreed to play the game in the first place, then you also ought to have the dignity to accept the game for what it was and say “gg”.

Now, just saying “gg” doesn’t mean one has the right attitude. As others have mentioned, sometimes it’s said in a snide manner or as an insult. But I don’t think this is indicative of a poor practice, but rather indicative of a poor player. Being offended by a kind gesture of good faith because you lost, or offering a gg sarcastically or bitterly just means that player is not a good sport, not that "gg"s are a flawed practice.

I will always offer a gg at the end of a game, even if it was a complete blowout. Because I respect my opponents and the time they took to play with me, and I respect the game for what it is. I’m here to have fun.

8 Likes

In Starcraft specifically, I’ve noticed in my limited amounts of watching it that the ‘gg’ is almost taken as a Concession from a player… Sort of a ‘Yep, you got me’ or ‘touche’.

In the general case, I consider ‘gl hf’ and ‘gg’ to be the equivalent of saluting/touching gloves/bowing to an opponent in a sparring match, and I consider it an indication that the game is done, you are not enemies, we can return to normal interactions. You may not be friends, but you aren’t taking the game as a personal affront.

I’ve been guilty of not accepting a handshake after a bad loss a few times in real life, until I realized that I’m not actually angry at the person, and that I shouldn’t show disrespect to them.

I do frequently shake hands after, and perhaps comment something like ‘Good game, wish I hadn’t been agenda flooded, but thems the breaks.’ Or even ‘Good games, though that second one would’ve been better if you hadn’t been stuck without Wyldside or breakers for so long.’ An acknowledgment that yes, luck exists in the game and it’s possible to be unlucky, but that I’m not mad at the player behind it, and that I appreciate the time taken to play the game.

7 Likes

Whenever I lose or win I always say gg and say it first,just like I always say glhf even if I see the opponent’s ID is IG.I don’t mind if my opponent said it but if I don’t say these words I feel kinda weird.

“GG” no longer literally means good game, it’s now a handshake of sorts.

I think the problem is your interpretation. I say gg after games where I felt I got extremely unlucky, or so lucky it was boring, or against archetypes I consider a waste of my time like CT players that aren’t stimshopping or bagbiting, but still deserve the basic respect and politeness for playing game to completion with no cheating involved.

If someone RDIs into double snare turn 2, “gg” is totally acceptable. “great game!” would be questionable. But you probably will notice that there aren’t IG players getting high variance wins, then describing the game with a variety of different vocabulary that suggests that game was particularly excellent, they are probably saying “gg” specifically because it’s meaning has changed over time to mean “handshake”, most netrunner players, even the online subset, aren’t d----s

3 Likes

Agree with everything said so far. ‘GG’ is a handshake. bow, salute, etc…

Slightly related: what do people think about post-game thinking out loud (there’s gotta be a better word/phrase for it). As in “I should have ran R&D instead” or “I shouldn’t have been so aggressive early game”, along those lines. Specifically talking about one’s own plays and not mistakes/misplays of the opponent. On the one hand I like identifying my mistakes, and help from another player is always useful. On the other hand I’ve had salty opponents who’d say something like “you wouldn’t have won if I didn’t do X” or “you shouldn’t have won, I made a misplay.”. So I often worry about pointing out my misplays as being interpreted as denigrating my opponent’s skill.

1 Like

i really like when an opponent stays to chit chat for the game ,suggestions, whatever

about the glhfgg topic, i just find it extremely stupid when people say GLHF,GG but NEVER talk /reply in a game.

most of the time it’s “glhf” and nothing else, what comes to my mind is : oh, that guy is just here to play vs bots and never speak or socialize BUT OKAY HE IS POLITE. who cares

I think any good player would be open to hearing about what you feared they would do compared to what they actually did.

i.e., I was flooded most of the game and was worried you would hit HQ when I bluffed that upgrade in the remote as an agenda

Maybe it would help to phrase it as “do you think I should have run R&D on that last turn”- makes it clear you’re inviting discussion rather than complaining or making excuses.

I think people should realize that their opponent is not likely trying to rub it in when they win by typing GG. Give others the benefit of the doubt and assume they are merely extending a common courtesy.

4 Likes

A lot of the time I’ll calibrate my post-game chatter to the level of in-game chat. I’ll often give a “good play” or “ouch” when my opponent pulls a bluff or I hit an unexpected ICE. Sometimes that will get them talking, sometimes they stay silent. If I’ve already built a bit of a report, I’ll do some post-game chatter. The quiet ones usually just gg and leave immediately, so it’s a moot point.

gg

2 Likes

it is not impolite for your opponent to not want to stop the game repeatedly to speak to you about whatever you would prefer to talk about, especially if you are playing slowly. it may be the only game you play all week online, and for that reason, you may enjoy an in-depth conversation about it, but it is possible it’s your opponent’s 100th game that week, and they are just interested in trying a new deck/card out before they scrap some of it or dispose of the idea entirely

it is polite to extend courtesies, even if they are so commonplace in your experience that they don’t mean much to you. to assume that because your opponent did not want to stop to talk to you about the game they are being impolite, or slighting you is presumptuous. for example, i would probably find it equally annoying for a player playing slowly to stop the game to talk to me about how they built their deck or complain about milled agendas in the middle of the game when i just want to play a quick one with a new deck, but i wouldn’t say that player is being impolite - they just have different goals than i do at that moment, for the purposes of that game

6 Likes

I like breaking down the game afterwards, maybe learning about that flood I didn’t check HQ for, or telling my opponent that Scorch was ready next turn. It helps me learn to be a better player and see things that maybe I didn’t or couldn’t see in the moment.

One thing I try to do, no matter what skill level of my opponent, is to compliment them on certain strategies or plays. I don’t offer criticism unless it’s asked for and I always pair my self criticism with a compliment to my opponent so that I don’t leave them with the impression that I’m saying their skill wasn’t a factor in their victory.

Tldr for both my comments: be a decent human being, be polite, be fun to play against, no matter what kind of opponent you are facing.

1 Like

There are times I ask about cards in archives of HQ, particularly if I think the corp was playing around agendas in those places. I’m always evaluating how well I am able to read my opponent’s plays to help me improve. I try not to be salty, but sometime I do say something like ‘I should have check archives, or run HQ instead of the scoring remote.’ I don’t mean to come across as salty, but really evaluate what my other options were, and whether I could have won had I played my last turn or two better.

As far as advice goes, I think it’s fair to point out what worked very well for you that your opponent didn’t do enough to stop, but probably should have (e.g. rezzed SSCG, Jackson Howard). Or mentioning that they never ran HQ, but you were agenda flooded. I don’t think many of us are playing on Jinteki to show off how unstoppably dominant we are, we are playing there to have fun and improve our play. Conversation after the match can usually contribute to both.

1 Like

I leave it to the loser, myself included, to ‘gg’. I hate using it as a generic way to end a game. Maybe it wasn’t good for the loser? I drop a ‘Thanx for the game.’, either way.

7 Likes