Let's talk about "GG" for a minute

GLHF and GG are mostly thoughtless courtesies at this point. I’m definitely generally guilty of saying GG first IRL, whether I won or lost.

I find it easy to sympathize with my opponent when they lose. After all, it’s rare that a game of Netrunner doesn’t come down to variance. Winning for me generally involves a degree of guilt. When victorious I try to joke about NetRNGer but perhaps some players would prefer me to remain quiet.

2 Likes

on the topic of what some have discussed, I wish the loser was more inclined to offer the handshake in real life after the game. I know I am an incredibly bad loser, and you can see it written all over my face, but I always offer a good solid hand shake after and say well played when I can, so even if I am sitting there like a whiny brat my opponent generally feels like I’ve at least acknowledged their victory. I also usually wait after winning for my opponent to offer a handshake, before offering one, though if they are really bummed out or the game was over in two turns and they don’t offer one, I (for some reason) just start trying to make them feel better by saying that was bad luck for them, leaking agendas on an unprotected R&D, or not finding wyldside despite clicking to draw three or four times, even when I think they likely lost due to poor decision making…

1 Like

gg seems like basic politeness to me. While we’re talking about terminology, why can’t I read anything about Netrunner without reading the word “salt” about 50 times? Is that old CCG lingo for displeasure, or newfangled internet speak? Help me, I’m out of touch!

1 Like

I’ve seen lots of players get super salty over “ah good game, I think I got a bit lucky there.” Type stuff. I get losing sucks, but your opponent is legit trying to console you, out of their own guilt. I’d encourage people to get better at taking their lumps when they lose and not become hostile.

Remember that if you’re not learning more from losing than winning, then you’re not getting better.

11 Likes

It’s like shaking hands after a game. It doesn’t matter if you won or lost or how you did so. You just say it, unless the opponent is being a dick.

“salt” because tears are salty, someone whining. In short, salty has replaced bitter in the taste-meta.

4 Likes

[quote=“MightyToenail, post:17, topic:7240”]
Playing a NBN deck are we?
[/quote]Fixed that for you.

2 Likes

From the J.net page on etiquette:
“Say a farewell before leaving the game (GG is always appreciated)”

I normally say “gg” because that’s what the site’s author has suggested is the right thing to do and I’m British. It’s all about good form old bean. If people don’t observe this courtesy, I assume they’re French.

On occasion, even a man of my highly cultivated breeding has been know to exit post-haste, without so much as a by your leave, let alone a “gg”. This is normally because I’m frustrated about the game going on forever (hello Museum decks) and probably need a wee. Also, salt.

I am completely bewildered by the concept that someone might take offence at the pleasantry.

I’m disappointed when people launch into excuses, moans, complaints or other nonsense about how they were unlucky (or I was lucky), or how they should have won, or what I should have done differently - especially if they don’t type the double-gee first. For some reason typing “gg” and then making your irrational and ill-educated arguments garners you more respect than simply entering straight into a hissy fit.

It’s all about manners.

I was once told, after typing “gg”, that it wasn’t a good game because I was as silent as a clam (whatever that means). A good game, appparently, involves lots of banter and chatting. From my perspective the fellow’s incessant drivel throughout the match was driving me to distraction - and it wasn’t a particularly good game from my perspective either (also he was sub-optimal at Netrunner and had a bad deck).

Nevertheless you say “gg”, because that’s the done thing.

Reading too much into too little is the cause of 99.9% of the ill feeling on t’interwebz.

Also 84.7% of statistics are made up.

I usually do a “hi gl hf” at the start too, again due to politeness.If someone doesn’t I assume they’re “one of them” and it makes me motivated to try and beat them.

The most urbane of us say “thanks for the game” or “cheers” or similar, but there seem precious few who wish to go to the extent of writing full words instead of abbreviations or acronyms, so I’m more reserved in lavishing this sort of effort on people I don’t know.

Mostly I’m confused by playing Trollbutcher47 or some other user who appears to know who I am, but I’ve no idea who the heck they are! I’m happy to engage in conversation regardless, like you do at parties when someone starts chatting to you and is all like “when do I see you last?” and you’re all like “who the funk is this?”.

I get unreasonably irked by people who insist on doing “gg” before the game is over - especially when the imagined agenda in a remote is only an Adonis campaign or something. Play the game through you work-shy fops.

Anyway, it’s on the etiquette page, so just do a “gg” or consider yourself French.

19 Likes

@evilgaz
Oh my.
Still wonder why we tried to kick some british ass for 1000 years ?

bj

(that does not mean blowjob, you pervert peninsula inhabitant. Learn French, which is the obvious language of intelligent and fancy people. Also, your mother is made of pudding and I rot in the southern wind)

:smiley:

(would re-read and re-like your post if I could)

4 Likes

point proven, I guess

3 Likes

I’m American and nothing you said makes sense.

'merica

5 Likes

I always try to end with a “thank you for the game” seems to work well regardless of what occured and who won

3 Likes

I almost always wait for the loser to say “gg” (unless, of course, I’m the loser), but that’s more out of consideration for my opponent so that I can avoid an uncomfortable situation. I agree with josh01 about politeness and courtesy regarding sportsmanship, but personally, I don’t really consider my opponent disrespectful if they do not offer the “gg.” I can’t help sympathizing with anyone that feels any amount of dissatisfaction with a lost game, particularly if they felt that they had the win the next turn, or something similar. That said, making some gesture of respect towards my opponent is something I can’t not do, at this point. It’s pretty much a conditioned response, and if I don’t do it, I’ll feel guilty for hours, even days.

It turns out though, that being a gracious loser is something you can learn, just as you can become a gracious winner; it is a trait that you can willfully acquire. And it’s something I would hope most gamers in general would try to achieve. I hate the feeling I used to get whenever I lost. Or, well, I say “used to get” but it’s more that I just don’t get it as strongly as I used to, and that’s partially due to conscious effort and partially due to getting used to losing to random chance. While I get to play against many people that have similarly acclimated themselves, it would be nice if I could always assume that my opponent had as good of a poker face regarding their loss as they do regarding the location of their agendas.

I also consider “gg” simply a formal sign of respect. If I actually think it was a good game I usually make a point in talking about it and discussing the crucial decisions each player made and whether there was another choice that was better and even some the card choices in each player’s deck. If I don’t think it was a good game I just say “gg” and leave :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s actually part of the rules in some tournaments, if you want say “gg” before the game is over, it’s understood that you concede and you have to leave the game.

1 Like

I say gg but I also try to be friendly and chat to the other player. I think the atmosphere of a game is very important and being too serious/salty is a sign I dont need to be playing with that person. On the other hand a great sign is when someone can laugh at their screw ups and enjoy good luck without being smug about it.

You can find this topic in some long lost starcraft post seems to come up every decade with a new game.

1 Like