Let's Talk About Sandburg

Agreed, this is my only issue with Sandburg. Design and concept are fine, rez/trash ratio is wack.

4 Likes

I think 1 Rez 3 trash would have been fair.

I have been playing a Gagarin ISU deck with Sandburg; it’s fun but idk if it can beat Hayley or Geist cams. This is largely due to my agenda suite not allowing for Never Advance. I need to slot some Reversed Accounts and test them, too.

Plop is definitely a good answer. I can understand the frustrations but my personal deck builds and defends many remotes so it does take awhile to establish. The deck probably can’t beat Whizzard, either.

The best combination is probably NEXT and Sandburg. Sandburg doesn’t solve NEXT’s problems though, it just improves their upside. That means it crushes Crim even harder, but still falls apart to Parasites.

I’m not seeing the “crushes Criminal” part, because of all the annoying trashable cards (Caprice, Ash, Bernice, Sandburg) can’t they just put more Plops in? I’m running on 2 with Geist at the moment, if you don’t have 2 Levy in the deck can probably go up to 3. They either do a scoring remote, protect HQ or Sandburg, I don’t think they can lock you out of all 3.

NEXT ice is pretty brutal on Crim.

And, like everyone else, I don’t think of Geist when I say Crim. :wink: But it’s not like NEXT is great for Geist’s breakers either.

may I suggest Jeeves.
Gaga, MCH, Jeeves & CST/NAPD work wonderfully together

2 Likes

I have a draft of a Gagarin Jeevesburg list. My current build (non Jeeves) uses Sensie which is pretty crucial to expedite set up, even if the first one only fires once it makes a huge difference. Gagarins problem is tempo IMO but Jeeves certainly makes sense. Roto works well with Sandburg.

this is where I got to with it.
http://meteor.stimhack.com/decks/wSXzKsCaJ63kjsgw5/

folds badly to those runners who can control your board state
if you get to 50+ credits, then you have won already

ironically, despite the presence of sandy most of the points are scored NA with jeeves.

I don’t understand the point of consulting visit in this deck. What is it there for ?

searching up with MCH --> CV --> DP for $$$, recurring it with museum and doing it again. searching up MCH --> CV --> Interns for replacing Sandy immediately.

Every game I’ve played with or against Sandburg it’s died really fast. It can keep you out of a server for a turn though, and it taxes you credits… a lot like a less effective version of Caprice that applies to all servers. It’s powerful, but glacier needed a powerful card. I love it!

One can think of Sandburg as a neutral alternative to Ash and Caprice. It forces expensive runs by the Runner before they can steal agendas from the scoring remote. It’s balanced by its requisite of a separate server, IMO. Once people adjust to playing against it I don’t foresee it being an issue. The Rez/Trash cost is above curve but beyond that, it is reasonable once you see it in action.

If Sandburg had been in Spin cycle it would have been 3 rez, 2 trash.

14 Likes

our saviour: Princess Space Kitten:

2 Likes

Sandburg is great with bioroids! It makes Heinlein Grid a lot more fun, that’s for sure. Bioroids have the ultimate ratio of strength to undesirable sub routines to deal with. Also, Adonis campaign makes a lot of money, and can set the runner back a lot while you’re setting up, with no cost to you as the Corp. You can make the runner spend a lot of resources trying to get past Eli or Ichi, and 2.0 ice just become so much more powerful.

Speaking of 2.0 ice, it’s weird we got Fairchild 2.0 already. Where are Zed and Janus? I do really like that ice though, I envision a jank deck that plays Red Herrings, Utopia Shard and Media Blitz with Fairchild pairs and other cheap taxing ice withNAPD Contract as the clincher. Dies to film critic, but hey it’s only HB. Maybe they won’t even bother playing it

played against 2 HB decks today with Sandburg and Architects, NEXT, lots of bioroids

shit is annoying as hell

If it makes the runner have to choose between making lots of little runs or few high value runs during deck building, then Sandburg is a good thing, not all decks should be great against any deck. But there is definitely potential for total lockout, and use you make money fast enough, there’s just not a lot you can do about a str 7 Cobra, a str 9 magnet, and a Guard at str 5 or more. I think RP is the place to go, Adonis can be imported with Breaker Bay Grid using Hostiles as your Whizzard/scrubber defense, and with Sundew it makes ferociously disgusting amounts of money. It turns into a light IG. Tsurugi and Sandburg are nightmarish, Wall of Thorns, Datapike, Cobra. So many good targets.

2 Likes

I’ve still yet to lose to this card. I think it just punishes bad runner fundamentals and over-extension.

6 Likes

@cmcadvanced I just want to note something important you said: Sandburg is great with Bioroids.

Sure, in encourages clicking through the subs, but you can do that before Sandburg and if you’re clicking through subs then I also win anyway. If the Runner doesn’t want to or can’t click, then they make already cost-to-strength strong Bioroids even better. Naturally, you don’t want exclusively Bioroids, but I don’t think the NEXT suite is particularly better with Sandburg than just continuing to use Ichi, Eli, Sherlock 2/Ravinia/Vikram anyway. Especially considering you should have Magnet, Architect, Turing anyway.

Take a deck like, say, @bahram (saetzero)'s two-Jeeves HB and replace them with Sandburg… It works out quite well!

1 Like

You’re right, just Bioroids arent great, but I’ve since put in rototurret and cobra, and I’m just not worried about parasite at all. But you can’t just click through an eli into a ravana, you have to break something, and I stand by Heinlein Grid being good for this purpose. As long as you don’t have a lot of click for credit turns, you should be able to be clever with your ice placement. A critical mass of cheap taxing ice makes sandburg good, and HB has almost exclusively that.

1 Like